Hi, I've uploaded a hard rock album: The Search For Acceptance but its still instrumental as I haven't found a vocalist yet.

Lots of big riffs, solos and interesting arrangements - mostly rockers but some multi-part epics and ballads.

Its on my profile. Let me know what you think - thanks!
Dude, your stuff has a freakin amazing idea to it! This is exactly the kind of music I was looking for here! It sounds like classic rock and roll! listen to me don't ever give up! you've got the talent and soul to good music!
Appreciate it dude. Its exactly the kind of music I've been wanting to make. But its hard to find people with the same vision here in Ireland to form a band. Indie people tell me its too heavy and metal people say its not heavy enough haha. But I have to keep looking.

I'm trying to collaborate with people online to get vocals on there.
Quote by primal100
I'm trying to collaborate with people online to get vocals on there.

You need to do a couple of things before you even consider adding vocals to this.

• Drums. There are a ton of really good drum sample sets out there that will sound infinitely better than this. You should also work on your programming skills to make it sound more like actual drums rather than a metronome. It's not free (well, it can be depending on your moral compass) but EZ Drummer is a very small investment considering the improvements it will make for your material.
  • Guitar sounds. Horrible, just horrible. From the sounds of it you've recorded some of these using the DI on your computer sound card which is always a a bad idea. Some songs have ambient noise during the "stops" so I'm guessing those are using a mic'ed-up amp though. Bottom line, the sounds need to have less overdrive/distorsion and a lot less fizzy top end. A good rule of thumb is that the sound you like when playing by yourself (without a band or any kind of backing) needs to cut the overdrive/distorsion by at least 25% and to fit a guitar sound in a mix you should cut just about everything under 100Hz (but that can be done in your DAW).
  • Tighten up the ship. Your timing is off all over the place and this kind of music can't really tolerate sloppiness. For a big riff to have maximum impact it needs to be locking in super tight. Spend more time recording each part to make sure everything is rock solid. The songs will sound a lot better and people can listen to them without wondering what's going on.

Unless you do these things the vocals won't have a space to fit in the mix, they will be hard to record (because of the timing issues), and I doubt that you can find a singer willing to collaborate that's good enough to do the material justice.

I like a lot of the ideas you have here, even though I couldn't make myself listen to the whole set of songs, but the presentation will be a big turn-off for most people. With more work I think this could be a great collection of songs but considering the quality of a lot of home-recorded material these days there's a chance nobody's going to want to listen to this kind of noisy material, irregardless of the quality of the songs.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Thanks for the tips. They are obviously just rough demos. Agree the drums aren't good and there are plenty of mistakes but I didn't agree the timing or guitar sound is bad.

Obviously it needs to be mixed properly, still.
Quote by primal100
Agree the drums aren't good and there are plenty of mistakes but I didn't agree the timing or guitar sound is bad.

Just to give an idea of what kind of timing problems I'm talking about listen to Wrong side of the city. At 0:13-0:14 the bass is way off. Same goes for the guitar at 0:26-0:28. As for what I think is a crappy guitar sound I'd suggest I know it's wrong but... The lead that enters at 0:19 is ear-splitting and barely sounds like a guitar. It's like a bad transistor amp on acid. Contrast that with the OK sounds in What would you have done? (Although I think there are timing and tuning issues on that track it's sonically not bad.)

Your problems are worse than having the songs "mixed properly". I still think that this is a good collection of songs, even though I haven't heard any vocals/lyrics, but the presentation so far below what's considered decent quality these days that I think most people won't be interested in listening and that's a shame.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
primal,
You were nice enough to check out 2 of my songs, so I listened to 2 of yours. "Wrong Side of the City": I liked most of your song writing, though some of your guitar playing could be tighter. Lead guitar was good. Your rhythm guitar has some crackling noises (both songs). Drums could use more variety. You may have lifted part of Beastie Boys' "You Have to Fight for Your Right to Party". "God-Shaped Hole": I like the guitar riffs, though some of the guitar playing is a bit sloppy. I like the drum beat: it sounds like something different than typical rock drums. Liked the lead guitar. Rock on man!
Thanks for that. Not sure about the "Fight For Your Right" connection - there is only one guitar part in that whole song and there is nothing like that in God-Shaped Hole. And I'm aware of the crackling noises and production mistakes - they are basic enough demos really. When I get a full band I'll do proper recordings.

Thanks again.
Last edited by primal100 at Jul 31, 2010,
Hmm both riffs have three ascending power chords but to me its a completely different riff. Any similiarity is unintentional anyway.
Last edited by primal100 at Aug 1, 2010,