This is just a song a wrote a while back after listening to nothing but Dream Theater and Veil of Maya for a week straight, although parts of it sounds kinda like a (much) more technical Slipknot. If the guitar fingerings are, well, impossible...I can't play the guitar, I'm a keyboardist. So I don't actually know. Oh, and C4C.

Aaaaaand one question. What on earth is a djent?
Attachments:
1. Volcano.zip
Last edited by Ginsu at Jul 28, 2010,
Djent. Djent. Djent Djent. Djent.

Djent is a variant of metal music, where the tone cause palm mutes to sound out like the way Djent is spoken. Similar to Chugga Chugga riffs

And Also it was pretty good. can you crit mine. its called 'Lamptroud' and is on the front page.
Pretty sick rythms goin there. some of the down slides at the begging sound a bit overused. And you can really tell you play piano, some of those parts there are intense, good job.

crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24839167#post24839167
Marskell: Thanks, unfortunately I don't know any other musicians who want to/can play this. Haha I don't wanna be Meshuggah, I like using more than two riffs per song. (No offense to them, I actually love their music, but it gets a tad repetitive after a while.)

Corrda00: Thank you, "intense" was exactly the feeling I tried to create.
Hey, I apparently didn't crit this one, sorry!

:00-:25 - Really good riff

:26-:37 - alright verse

:38-49 - I really hate this style, but that's just my taste, it's not badly written

:50-1:02 Again, alright verse

1:02-1:15 - Loved it! Brilliant riff

1:16-1:29 - REALLY good piano lead!

1:30-1:42 - good

1:43-2:22 - Dragged on too long

2:23-2:33 - Nice!

2:34-2:43 - Haha, awesome

2:44-2:51 - Good

2:52-3:19 - Again, really awesome piano lead

3:20-3:33 - Pretty good

3:34-4:22 - meh. This entire part was pretty awful, sorry!

Overall - Good, maybe throw in a solo?
All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun
I like how you ask djent is after writing a classic djent song.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
I had never heard djent until like...a month after I wrote this. I actually thought I came up with my own subgenre, and I was so disappointed that a few bands already play stuff like this.

Wquennasar: I wrote the part at 3:46 with one purpose: to confuse people. It's three measures of 5/8 followed by one of 8/8, which is 23 eighth beats. I like making crazy rhythms that are tough to follow. I actually recently re-wrote the entire song, still no solo...
Quote by Joshua1207
I tried downloading it but it won't open in TuxGuitar =/

I think you might have an older version of Tuxguitar. Google search for "tuxguitar" and download the most recent version.
Although this has djent written all over it, I see quite a bit of Sikth and The Arusha Accord in your song. This is seen quite a bit in your melodies and rhythmic style. I like how you transposed the alleged styles of "mathcore" and "djent" into one song.

That last sentence was just me talking out of my ass.

Anyways, I did like how seamless this song happened to be. Rarely was there a dull moment. The song is just so engrossing. I occasionally skip through songs when they happen to get heavily repetitive and boring, but I wouldn't dare with this song.
The attention to detail is what kept me in.

There was one section that I was bother by though; the blastbeat bridge. It takes the listener out the experience in a very unpleasant way. There is no warning that this section is coming and once it's here, the damage has been done. I think you should seriously reconsider how you use that section. My suggestion is to remove it completely, but it all comes down to what you wanna do with it.

Outside of that, you have yourself a mighty powerhouse of a song.

Ahh, I would like for you to take a look at my song.
It's not as impressive as your piece, but I like it nonetheless.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352097
Quote by Marskell
Djent is bands who want to be meshuggah but cant. ie Bulb/Animals as Leaders/Periphery.

I don't see why any band should want to be Meshuggah. Meshuggah only is the accepted version of breakdowns to the metal elite.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by Ginsu
Wquennasar: I wrote the part at 3:46 with one purpose: to confuse people. It's three measures of 5/8 followed by one of 8/8, which is 23 eighth beats. I like making crazy rhythms that are tough to follow. I actually recently re-wrote the entire song, still no solo...

I think the best way to do this is to force the riff into four four and have a four four drum beat over it if that makes sense, so just make it polyrhythmic if that makes sense.

Also Vildhjarta are a really good djent band, I'm stoked for their album this year
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Aug 19, 2010,
This definitely isn't the type of thing I listen to but it wasn't bad. I liked the parts in the intro with that chord and that whammy bar dive thing on the B string (you have it tuned to G I believe) is pretty cool, sounds like something from the Liars first album.
I like the slide at bar 17-19. Bar 20 where you do that run I didn't care for it. Sounds Paul Gilbert like though, but thats not my thing. The next couple of bars are nothing special. I didn't really like the pre-chorus either. And when the Fantasia thing comes in just doesn't make sense. It comes in completely random and doesn't really belong.

The Breakdown #2 @ bar 65-79 is probably my favorite part of the song. I love those harmonics, once again, I don't know why but it reminds me of the Liars. The slides are pretty cool in the next couple of bars. But that chord that appears at bar 89 is dreadful and shouldn't be in there. It just annoys me.
I didn't care for the blastbeat part. Then those annoying Fantasia things kick in again. I just don't think they should be in a song like this. You did put a good guitar part under it though. I like the breakdown 3. Maybe its the fact I love bending haha. Then that sweet chord comes back in from the intro. Ends the song well.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10 I don't really care for music like this, but it had some parts that I really liked and then parts that I hated.
Quote by huevos

There was one section that I was bother by though; the blastbeat bridge. It takes the listener out the experience in a very unpleasant way. There is no warning that this section is coming and once it's here, the damage has been done. I think you should seriously reconsider how you use that section. My suggestion is to remove it completely, but it all comes down to what you wanna do with it.

Funny you should mention that, I rewrote most of the song yesterday, and that was the only part I took out completely.