I was thinking about some of the crazy things that's happened over the years while buying guitars and gear...I'm curious to hear about other peoples expieriences

I bought a jimi hendrix fuzz face off ebay for about 70 dollars once and a few days later I get a large box in the mail...well its a guitar case with a BC Rich in it with the price tag 899.99 dollars...apparently the online store got the addresses confused....lol.I still lived with the parents and they made me feel bad so I send the guitar back and got my 70 dollar pedal a few days later

Another time a local shop I dealt with a lot got in a Dean ML like Dimes just without the Bolts...Floyd Rose,Bill Lawrences everything,the next morning I figured out how much funds I had and had enough for it so I call and ask if they still had it...I told them to hold it for Randy and I would be on my way...I guess some other dude named Randy called about it because the guy was confused when he said he just sold it to a Randy that had it on hold lol

If this is the wrong section for this my apologies
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Well my craziest expierience wasn't when I bought some new equipment, but when I had my amp in my music store to repair it. They repaired it after one and a half week. I tried my Amp in the store and it worked fine
Then @home... I turned the amp on, and, nothing -.-
The next day I walked again back in the store and after 2 more weeks I had my amp back. And until now it works fine.
But how can it be possible that it was defect, after the amp was repaired in the music store? It was some kind of crazy...
thats a awsome story rdobson.
i dont really have a awsome story....one time i like...made some noodles,if that counts....
Quote by CAGEDtheory
thats a awsome story rdobson.
i dont really have a awsome story....one time i like...made some noodles,if that counts....

Lol...

i don't know if i would call it crazy, but i would definitely call it funny. i went to a shop looking for an ltd truckster, but all they had was an esp, and it was a lot cheaper than normal, so now it's on layaway. but the sales guy seemed to know nothing about it. he didn't know about the dummy switch on it, and spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out whether it worked or not, and, and didn't know whether the emg's where active. meanwhile, he kept reassuring me, "dude, this is an esp, with emg's, and it's totally ****in' metal."
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
i ordered a fender vibro champ , when i got it in the mail i started playing round with it i was like " nice clean channel and now the......" then i read the amp and it said super champ.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Can't say I have any crazy gear buying stories but the one about the bc rich is pretty awesome. You did the right thing sending it back- I'm sure you made the other person and the company happy lol

Yeah the store emailed me some tags to print out and put on it and told me to take it to fed ex lol....I'm kinda glad I didn't know anything about bc rich guitars lol

Bought a really good guitar from a hot chick once.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Good job sending the B.C. Rich back dude, not many people in your place would've done that. It's nice to see some honest people .

I have quite an infinite # of crazy guitar buying stories...bought a USA Jackson Dinky shattered glass once from a guy for $300 (guitar's worth at least $1400, it was in mint condition) because he said "there was something wrong with the neck". As it turns out, that something was fixed by a quarter turn of the truss rod.

Then there was the time I bought a Carvin CT6, totally maxed out on features (costs $2200 from Carvin) for $400, also mint with a hardshell.

Another good one was when I bought my Ibanez RX from Guitar Center, I got it used for a great price and basically Andy Timmons-ized it with Dimarzios and Sperzels. I was bummed there was no case for it, but when browsing the Used section I found the original Ibanez hardshell at the same store for, get this, $15. So I called to make sure it was there, and the sales guy couldn't find it. Then I decided to wander over to the store and ask the manager, who had it for me in 2 minutes. Apparently the guy who first tried to help me was SUPER short and couldn't see it cuz it was too high up for him in the back lol
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I went in to look at guitars in The Guitar Store in Glasgow around about the middle of February.

I saw a Vintage SG style guitar that I was quite interested in, so I asked if I could try it out.

The guy that seemed to be the manager in the store asked me if when I would be buying the guitar, so I told him, end of the month.

He then basically told me that if I wasn't going to be buying it right then, I had no chance.

Bit of a strange way to do business IMO, I've never had that problem ANYWHERE else, ever.

No big deal though, I had a look in another place, in Merchant City in the city centre, saw a Vintage PL copy, asked to try it out and the very next weekend, I was in buying the guitar.

I should have known about The Guitar Store in all fairness though, it's not exactly known to be the friendliest of places, and years ago (when I was 17 & I'm now 25!), I went in to try an Epi Goth Explorer that I was gonna be getting for my 18th.

It hadn't been set up right so the strings were miles away from the fretboard, but when I asked the guy about it, he said "it's not really meant to be a 'lead' guitar".

I said, I know that but it's meant to be playable!

Their loss. Severely doubt I'll ever waste my time going back in.
Well, about a year ago I was willing to kill for a 7 string guitar, so I was shopping like crazy. Found one on Craigslist, and judging from the pics of it (Schecter 007 Elite, flamed maple top on mahogany body, set neck, Grover tuners) I was guessing the price would be in the $1000's.

Actually talked to the guy, found out he didn't want me to demo it anywhere near his place, so what happened was...

I ended up meeting him in an IKEA parking lot. On a busy day. Imagine the looks on peoples faces as they walk into IKEA, seeing a 16 year old kid shredding away on a 7 string guitar, not plugged into anything, with two older guys (my dad and the seller) standing right next to him. Needless to say, I got some funny looks.

The guy sold the guitar to me for $300. I was amazed that was all he wanted for it. Turned out the guy was a vocalist and he was tired of it hanging from his wall and never getting used. His loss is my gain. :P
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017

The guy sold the guitar to me for $300. I was amazed that was all he wanted for it. Turned out the guy was a vocalist and he was tired of it hanging from his wall and never getting used. His loss is my gain. :P

Did he say why he didn't want you to try it near his house?
If not, it was probably stolen

On topic, when I got my PRS I discovered a place online that turned out to only be five minutes drive from my house, and they had a little bit at the front of their warehouse where you could try out guitars, and I had no idea it was there and I've lived in the area since I was born!
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
I have 2 -

First one was I was trying to sell my Spider III on CL and I asked some guy if he would trade my spider and 100 bucks for his tele and he said yes. So we tried arranging a meet day and everything conflicted. So when we did find a day we thought would work I harassed him with like 3 emails a day and no replies and then he finally did about 2 hours before he showed up. I got my tele and thats it! Yay!

Next is: I wanted a Bigsby for my Tele, but I didnt want to drill into it. I found the Vibramate system, and purchased the vibramate. Then being stupid I purchased a liscnesed bigsby cause it was cheaper. I got the bigsby, and then about 8 days later the vibramate. I was happy to put it on...and it didnt fit. I then read the directions saying only the original bisgby would fit on it. And I only had a 7 day return. I thought I was screwed, but luckily the guy I was dealing with on ebay was great and he got me the original for 20 bucks extra I just had to ship it back. So basically my Tele was unplayable for about a month cause I didnt have the correct hardware for it!

That is all
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
It's probably a good thing you didn't keep that BC Rich. You would have easily been charged for keeping it. It's not like they wouldn't know where the guitar went. FedEx tracks those things.... :P And it's the same as having 1000 dollars mysteriously appear in your bank account due to a bank error. It's illegal to go and spend it. You have to return it.

As for experience with guitar shops... why are the girls working there always such massive bitches? The dudes are so friendly and laid back, and the girls are the rudest most apathetic workers I've ever encountered.
naw dude those girls rock. and their pretty. you just gotta smile at them all nice.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
never had a crazy buying experience really, but when i tried to sell my old SG Special a guy at a pawn shop told me "nobody will want to buy that thing, sorry." because the headstock had been repaired. what an idiot. i sold it for $400 elsewhere and moved on. my friend and i decided he was most likely a drummer.

EDIT:

Quote by edge11
Bought a really good guitar from a hot chick once.

me too! her name was Dorothy. i remember, because i thought "thats a weird name..." but she was too hot for me to care.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Concat
As for experience with guitar shops... why are the girls working there always such massive bitches? The dudes are so friendly and laid back, and the girls are the rudest most apathetic workers I've ever encountered.

That's a good point.

The girls in Rikaxxe music in bristol seemed a bit like they couldn't be arsed. they had a beautiful gibson ES-335, i asked to play it and the girl said "the boss doesn't like people playing the gibsons" - 'the boss' was out the back... she was too busy reading her bimbo 'celebrity bitch-fest' magazine to go round the back and ask him. So.. uhm... I'll remember not to go there next time i'm looking for a gibson
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I went into some guitar shop and asked for a wah pedal. The guy comes back with this toy car... wtf? And as I already was pissed off from sometime before, I asked him in a threatening tone "What are you, mocking me or something?"

It was this thing:

VROOMMM!
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Snap017
Well, about a year ago I was willing to kill for a 7 string guitar, so I was shopping like crazy. Found one on Craigslist, and judging from the pics of it (Schecter 007 Elite, flamed maple top on mahogany body, set neck, Grover tuners) I was guessing the price would be in the $1000's.

Actually talked to the guy, found out he didn't want me to demo it anywhere near his place, so what happened was...

I ended up meeting him in an IKEA parking lot. On a busy day. Imagine the looks on peoples faces as they walk into IKEA, seeing a 16 year old kid shredding away on a 7 string guitar, not plugged into anything, with two older guys (my dad and the seller) standing right next to him. Needless to say, I got some funny looks.

I don't know why that amazes you lol. $300 is a fair deal but i have no clue why you thought a guitar that sold NEW for $580 would be in the $1000s used
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I was amazed to find someone selling a 6 month old Fender Super-sonic amp (10 tubes) with a USA Ash tele and 3 pedals for $650.

yep, good day for me.
The only interesting buying experience was when I bought a custom built guitar off of Ebay for $170. It looked nice in the pictures: a great birdseye maple neck, a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom, and a Kahler tremolo. The pictures on the auction showed each piece of the guitar individually, so that meant they had taken the guitar apart to take pictures.

It never occurred to me that the person in question might put the guitar back together like a retard. The guitar came to me with the strings completely flat on the fretboard because the Kahler was installed with wood screws and wasn't setup anywhere near properly. After a little bit of time an a bit more of an investment the guitar turned out great! Can't complain about getting a guitar built for shred for roughly $300 (the original price plus other mods).
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Concat
It's probably a good thing you didn't keep that BC Rich. You would have easily been charged for keeping it. It's not like they wouldn't know where the guitar went. FedEx tracks those things.... :P And it's the same as having 1000 dollars mysteriously appear in your bank account due to a bank error. It's illegal to go and spend it. You have to return it.

Haha, precisely! If you ever get something by mistake (a large sum of money on your account/items that you didn't order), DON't take it for granted.

The are juridical institutions that are meant for the overruling of those mistakes: in Finland it's called the returning of unfounded "asset". Mistakes as such (at least in here) do NOT constitute the receiver any right to trust that he won't have to give the money back etc. So you can't "build your case" on the fact that you trusted to get those money. As most transactions today are trackable (even if you pay at a local shop with a card), ppl will get their own back unless it's something really small. Even if the money is spent.

Only risk is that the receiver is someone without any income - someone living off social benefits of which foreclosure is really limited...

...No, I don't have any weird buying experiences :S