The guitar is this '03 Epiphone SG G-400 . I've been looking to get a relatively cheap used Epiphone SG to retrofit (new Gibson pots and switch, Planet Waves locking tuners, an LSR roller nut, et cetera) and seeing as this one doesn't have many of the originals for me to take out and never use again, it seems like the perfect guitar. I figure with all the components swapped out it might well rival an American guitar.

So here are my questions:

Will the finish be lower quality than an American Gibson SG Standard?

In what ways might the body/neck/fretboard be lower quality than the American?

Can you see any noticeable defects in this particular guitar?

Can you think of any other ways in which this body (not the components!) may differ from an American made Gibson SG Standard?

If you want/need them, the other specs are: mahogany body/neck, rosewood fretboard, 24.75 inch scale, 22 medium jumbo frets. Thanks!
I have an Epi SG400, and it is a very nice guitar, i love it. The only thing that is slightly annoying is the painted neck which makes it a bit slower, but i think that some gibson SG's also have painted necks, but other than that, it plays very nicely. Not got tons of sustain, but its good.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Everything on it will be lower quality than the real thing - that's the point of a replica

But i mean it's not bad, take perfection - then replicate it using lower quality things - it's built in the mould of perfection, but is not perfect due to the quality.

It's a trade off, it sounds fine for what you want to do it and with it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
the simple fact of the matter is a gibson sg standard is about $1500 whilst an epiphone g-400 is about $400, and with that the workmans ship will not be as good, the woods will not be as good, the epihone is a pretty good guitar for the price, but no where near as good as the gibson
Quote by wesmwatson
So here are my questions:

Will the finish be lower quality than an American Gibson SG Standard?
The finish on all the Epis I've handled was sticky, which is especially annoying on the neck. You could fix that with super fine sandpaper.

In what ways might the body/neck/fretboard be lower quality than the American?
Hard to tell from just one picture. Epis in general won't be as nice of wood, but that will vary between individual guitars.

Can you see any noticeable defects in this particular guitar?
Need better pics to tell.

Can you think of any other ways in which this body (not the components!) may differ from an American made Gibson SG Standard?
The headstock will look like ass.
And the resale value is obviously less. But it may suit your needs well.
The listing says "Epi Guitar BODY" so I think that you're only getting the body in that case. If you did, you'd have to find a neck to glue in. Unless the seller told you otherwise, you're probably only getting the body.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
DUDEEEEE, quick note, on the truss rod cover, it says 'Gibson'. I have an SG400, but it says SG on the cover.
You sure its definitely real?
I'm sorry if this is totally wrong, it just stood out when i looked at the pics.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
DUDEEEEE, quick note, on the truss rod cover, it says 'Gibson'. I have an SG400, but it says SG on the cover.
You sure its definitely real?
I'm sorry if this is totally wrong, it just stood out when i looked at the pics.

that one is korean, whilst they're made in china now, some guitars have gibson truss rod covers others have what model they are
@GibsonMan321 They just forgot neck in the title. All images show the neck attached, one even shows just the headstock, and the specs include things like the nut width and fret size.
Quote by wesmwatson
I see... would it be at all advisable to refinish the neck some?

Before doing anything, I'd string it up and play it a few days, you may like it as is.

Totally finishing the neck is a pain if it is a set neck guitar. What I would try instead is "flattening" the finish on the neck by light standing with the finest sandpaper you can get your hands on. I'm talking 2000 grit or so. Make sure it is paper you can wetsand with. Lightly wetsand the neck in small increments. (You can always take more off, hard to add it back!)

This should make the neck smoother to play, but it will take away the gloss and leave you with more of a satin look. If you still want less gloss, wetsand again with 1500 grit.