Poll Options
View poll results: Good idea?
That's an excellent idea ma boy.
61 61%
Nahhhhhh
39 39%
Voters: 100.
Page 1 of 4
Ok before I begin, let's assume this was financially possible and car manufacturers were up to the task.

In the future we should have devices spread across every city in whatever country you live in, that would broadcast a signal with data telling your vehicle how fast it can go. Every CIVILIAN vehicle would come standard with a device that would receive this data and automatically limit your car's maximum top speed depending in the area you're driving through.

This would cut down the number of accidents caused by bigots, drunks, and street racers and bigots.

Of course we would have certain places like race tracks where your vehicle is free to go as fast as your insurance will allow and emergency vehicles would not be restricted by this.

Also we can have people who regulate the signals being broadcasted in case of emergencies like when you're running from tornadoes.

What say you?
It'll be easy enough to get around, just take whatever it is that receives the signal out, you can always find ways around that stuff. I think people should be free to be stupid anyway.

SGEDIT: Not everywhere has speed limits anyway, there are a lot of places in my area where it's basically whatever. I'd assume they are the state speed limit of 60 or whatever it is, but the cops don't even obey that.

Also out of curiosity, what about police? They obviously couldn't be limited the same way civilians are, they are supposed to be able to go faster so they can catch people in chases. But if they were given that extra surely it would be abused by city cops all over.
Last edited by sglover34479 at Jul 28, 2010,
Only if you also make dedicated raceways civilians can enjoy. It'll reduce hazards greatly, there's no denying that, but everyone wants to go fast now and then, so I'd really only like it if there were the designated places for speed.

Edit: Oh wait, you already said that. Sure then.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 28, 2010,
Tbh I think this is actually a pretty good idea, if they payed closer attention to the speed limits (like in some areas I'm sure the speed limits are completely unreasonable).

Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Indeed, but all a guy needs to do to get away from police or mess up a whole city is push a button, and limit those cars to 0 M/h / Km/h. Or go negative, for shits and gigs.
h'wat
I cannot fit into your skin.
Quote by sglover34479
It'll be easy enough to get around, just take whatever it is that receives the signal out, you can always find ways around that stuff. I think people should be free to be stupid anyway.

Not if they're a danger to others.
Nice idea, but it won't work if the world is full of shite drivers
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Shinami
Not if they're a danger to others.

True, but driving is a responsibility, and licenses are only given to those who take tests and show that they are capable of driving safely.

That aside, I think the idea of taking responsibility off people's shoulders like this and just making it so they can gun it full throttle all the time because the car will handle it is a bit stupid. The government/authority shouldn't do everything for us. That gets into a political debate though, I don't really wanna go there.
Quote by sglover34479
True, but driving is a responsibility, and licenses are only given to those who take tests and show that they are capable of driving safely.

That aside, I think the idea of taking responsibility off people's shoulders like this and just making it so they can gun it full throttle all the time because the car will handle it is a bit stupid. The government/authority shouldn't do everything for us. That gets into a political debate though, I don't really wanna go there.

Just because they show they are capable of driving safely, doesn't mean they will drive safely. That in a way could work as a definition of an idiot driver.
There was a documentary about this on TV.
It was awesome and is a great idea which is totally feasible with the technology we have today.

The documentary showed a family getting into a miniman to go up to their cottage 3hours away. The Minivan was designed differently but the driver seat FULLY reclined. They typed in their destination and the father fully reclined to get some shut eye, the Mom played a board game with the kids...

The arrived 3 hours later.
^ That's cars driving themselves, which is cool. However I'd only be comfortable with it if there was always a way to take control and drive manually, obviously.

Quote by Shinami
Just because they show they are capable of driving safely, doesn't mean they will drive safely. That in a way could work as a definition of an idiot driver.

But if someone's mind is set to break the law, you can't stop them. There will always be ways around it, like with making it harder to get guns, it hurts the people who are doing it right anyway, and those who do it illegally are doing it illegal anyway so it's not much of an inconvenience.
Last edited by sglover34479 at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by JJ2003
There was a documentary about this on TV.
It was awesome and is a great idea which is totally feasible with the technology we have today.

The documentary showed a family getting into a miniman to go up to their cottage 3hours away. The Minivan was designed differently but the driver seat FULLY reclined. They typed in their destination and the father fully reclined to get some shut eye, the Mom played a board game with the kids...

The arrived 3 hours later.

Don't think he's talking about a car that drives itself, just about having an external, probably hackable signal telling your car how fast it can go.
Doesn't someone in Europe already do that? Along with not being able to start your car unless you seatbelt is buckled. Idk I heard both those on some radio show a few years ago.
Quote by sglover34479

The problem with the test it that it's a one time test, as long as you don't let your driving license expire. Most people's driving degrades over time, or they drive as good as they can during the test, and then drive like they want afterwards.
h'wat
It would certainly make it harder to drive like a maniac, but still people would find a way around it, I'm sure, by altering the device in some way.

Still I think it could help. Don't know what we would do about the millions of cars that were around before the devices are put in though.

*Imagines greatest demolition derby of all time*
Wait a minute, I just realised. If this idea was put into action. All the car chases would be shite!
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
i see this as a violation of rights. who cares if driving fast endangers others, look at drugs, smoking, crime, etc. those havent been stopped yet. instead of punishing everyone, you should punish only those who deserve the punishment.
those of us who repeatedly break the speed limit should have their license taken away and sentenced to community service. and not get their license back for atleast 2 years.
It's a good idea, but there will always be those people who will bypass the system and become a threat to the other drivers who are obeying the law. But the idea in itself is good, but that would totally hamper my late night speeding down country roads
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by padgea7x
Wait a minute, I just realised. If this idea was put into action. All the car chases would be shite!

Well if talking about movies, it would be better. People would be all like **** cars, they'd just step out and run through the city barefoot while destroying everything!

Also

Quote by Seanstrom
i see this as a violation of rights. who cares if driving fast endangers others, look at drugs, smoking, crime, etc. those havent been stopped yet. instead of punishing everyone, you should punish only those who deserve the punishment.
those of us who repeatedly break the speed limit should have their license taken away and sentenced to community service. and not get their license back for atleast 2 years.

I fail to see how obeying the law is a violation of rights?
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by devilskommander
The problem with the test it that it's a one time test, as long as you don't let your driving license expire. Most people's driving degrades over time, or they drive as good as they can during the test, and then drive like they want afterwards.

So as I said, if they're gonna break the law, they're gonna do it. There are ways around this signal thing, easily. All it would do is inconvenience the people who are trying to obey the law. Unless I'm missing something anyway.

Also, say I have a few acres of land (which I do), and a car that I wanna cruise around in the fields with, but I'm in a 40 mph speed limit zone. If I'm alone and not endangering anyone, not even near the road, what's to say I should be stopped from going however fast I want?

Inb4suicide is illegal olol
Quote by maggot9779
Sounds kinda like Minority Report. You'd always get the assholes that will figure a way to bypass it.

We have people now who have these http://jammersstore.com/

Dunno if they work properly though. What I suggest is that cops have something that scans cars passively for any abnormalities in the signals.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
It would certainly make it harder to drive like a maniac, but still people would find a way around it, I'm sure, by altering the device in some way.

Still I think it could help. Don't know what we would do about the millions of cars that were around before the devices are put in though.

*Imagines greatest demolition derby of all time*

In EU it could be possible to force them by demanding it installed to get the EU check approved.

They could also possibly check the devices for errors and report the police or something if the device has problems, however, hackers will certainly find a way around that too. But the general public wont.
Quote by Seanstrom

In the US driving is a privilege not a right.
Quote by metaldud536
We have people now who have these http://jammersstore.com/

Dunno if they work properly though. What I suggest is that cops have something that scans cars passively for any abnormalities in the signals.

This could work. Say there's devices on streets that scan cars or smth like that, and if the car does not have said limit, cops come in and bust his ass.

Also

Quote by metaldud536

Throughout the whole thread I was tempted to post this, and this finally made me do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaa9iw85tW8

What I want to show starts somewhere at half.

4:22 to be exact.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by sglover34479
So as I said, if they're gonna break the law, they're gonna do it. There are ways around this signal thing, easily. All it would do is inconvenience the people who are trying to obey the law. Unless I'm missing something anyway.

Also, say I have a few acres of land (which I do), and a car that I wanna cruise around in the fields with, but I'm in a 40 mph speed limit zone. If I'm alone and not endangering anyone, not even near the road, what's to say I should be stopped from going however fast I want?

Inb4suicide is illegal olol

I would say that the only thing stopping you is morality, but it seems that if that was thrown out of the window, nothing.
h'wat
Quote by Seanstrom

Firstly, those who are obeying the speed limits will not notice the difference, those who intentionally break the limitation will.
Quote by metaldud536

i know this, and i do not have my license yet i am 18.
BUT once you have it it you have the right to drive how you want. and i believe that should not be taken away. UNLESS you do endanger somebody, by, lets say, getting in an accident, running people off the road, driving excessivly fast (over the speed limit by 15mph+) etc. THEN you should be punished.
Quote by Shinami
This could work. Say there's devices on streets that scan cars or smth like that, and if the car does not have said limit, cops come in and bust his ass.

But if the clever asshole finds a way to make the device act like it gets the signal.
Quote by GisleAune
In EU it could be possible to force them by demanding it installed to get the EU check approved.

They could also possibly check the devices for errors and report the police or something if the device has problems, however, hackers will certainly find a way around that too. But the general public wont.

Yea that's what I meant, there's always someone who will get around it, but I see this helping somewhat.

And way to crush my dreams of having a demolition derby involving every car in the world
Quote by devilskommander
I would say that the only thing stopping you is morality, but it seems that if that was thrown out of the window, nothing.

What does morality have to do with it? I should be free to go as fast as I want in my car on my land. No one should be able to limit that.
Quote by Seanstrom
BUT once you have it it you have the right to drive how you want. and i believe that should not be taken away. UNLESS you do endanger somebody, by, lets say, getting in an accident, running people off the road, driving excessivly fast (over the speed limit by 15mph+) etc. THEN you should be punished.

No you don't have the right to drive the way you want. That is why we have police enforcing traffic rules.
Quote by metaldud536
Ok before I begin, let's assume this was financially possible and car manufacturers were up to the task.

In the future we should have devices spread across every city in whatever country you live in, that would broadcast a signal with data telling your vehicle how fast it can go. Every CIVILIAN vehicle would come standard with a device that would receive this data and automatically limit your car's maximum top speed depending in the area you're driving through.

This would cut down the number of accidents caused by bigots, drunks, and street racers and bigots.

Of course we would have certain places like race tracks where your vehicle is free to go as fast as your insurance will allow and emergency vehicles would not be restricted by this.

Also we can have people who regulate the signals being broadcasted in case of emergencies like when you're running from tornadoes.

What say you?

I've always thought this should be how it was done.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Discussed this many times with engineering/mechatronics students... some in there masters others doing phd's.... it's not a new idea it's been around for ages..the only way it's changed over the years is the more complex and safer ways of doing it are becoming cheaper.. I even remember watching an episode of some english car program where they set the speeds by putting radio units in speed sign posts.. .that send a signal to the passing car to set it's speed.

To be honest it's only a matter of time before something like this exists. Once a unit in a car is made cheap enough and once every car has some kind of computer within it aannnnnd the techonolgy that sends signals to it is cheap.... that's when it comes into existance. Of course it's a good idea. It's the implementation that's full of bad ideas.
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Seanstrom

The law isn't "don't speed when it endangers others" it's "don't speed. Period". This is upholding that law. How are anyones lawful rights being taken away?
Quote by sglover34479
What does morality have to do with it? I should be free to go as fast as I want in my car on my land. No one should be able to limit that.

Its your property, but it's the city's face. If you get into a wreck on your property, but it was in the city's zone, people start questioning the city's commitment to safety.

And thats where it gets political and I stop talking about it :|
h'wat
Page 1 of 4