Page 1 of 2
How much will the value decrease of my Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe if i get straplocks and get it routed for a Kerry King sig Kahler?
Kerry King Kahler
http://www.trevornewhouse.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67
Schaller Straplock
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schaller-Guitar-Strap-Locks-and-Buttons--Pair--100284464-i1170004.gc

Note: I'm not asking how much will the routing be or how much the total will be. I'm simply asking how much of the value of my guitar will decrease after these mods? I'm not planning to sell it in the future
the routing will devalue it quite a lot.
the straplocks, not as much, but still will devalue a bit.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
For a guitar thats really not that expensive I would´nt worry about it.
yeah I'd stay away from routing it, if you plan on selling it or trading it.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
straplocks wont devalue it at all, they're a necessary upgrade for all les pauls. now getting that khaler would a little bit.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Straplocks aren't permanent, you could switch them back if you decide to sell your guitar, just don't lose the original strap buttons
Quote by britishsligean
probably about 10-20% as not many people would want something like that

Way more than this. Unless you find someone who wants your exact guitar with that exact trem, it will kill the re-sale value.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
A kahler on a guitar without 24 frets? Why?

I wouldn't do it. You are better off just buying a guitar that is already routed or has a trem on it.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by biga29

Way more than this. Unless you find someone who wants your exact guitar with that exact trem, it will kill the re-sale value.

+1. The market is flooded with LP studios; nobody is going to buy one that has been customized with a specialized trem. On a related note, if you expect to sell the guitar why spend the money to install a specialized trem in the first place?
Quote by srob7001
A kahler on a guitar without 24 frets? Why?

I wouldn't do it. You are better off just buying a guitar that is already routed or has a trem on it.

Why does this matter?
Quote by im_bored
Straplocks aren't permanent, you could switch them back if you decide to sell your guitar, just don't lose the original strap buttons

This. Depending on the kind of guitar, you might be able to get by with a very slightly higher resale value with strap-locks, but in this case, no.

Whereas, if someone had a Schecter Hellraiser, and they had straplocks on it, someone would probably be willing to pay a little more for it because that makes it so the buyer doesn't have to spend $20 on straplocks and 10 minutes installing them.

But with a Les Paul... traditionalists are free to roam. Anything weird/offset/not normal/locking that isn't tuners/etc decreases the value of the guitar.

EDIT: Why would you get the Kerry King signature? Black nickel would look incredibly tacky on a Les Paul with that finish.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 28, 2010,
Strap locks on any guitar worth $500 or more is a must.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Straplocks are fine, they won't devalue the guitar a penny. Routing it for a different trem...you're gonna lose a huge chunk of the value. At that point it basically becomes a custom guitar and you're gonna have a helluva time finding anyone to buy it at anywhere NEAR what it should sell for.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Why are you worried about the value of it? If you're planning on selling it why are you upgrading it?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Kyleisthename
Why does this matter?

Why does the TS want to modify a guitar if he is worried about selling it?

We could why this, why that to death.

I still gave my advise, after I said that...rules are rules, you on the other hand did not.

I just find it pretty uncommon for a guitar with that scale length to have a floyd on it.

Most guitars with a floyd have a longer scale length. That is all.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I think more than it being significantly devalued the problem would be finding a buyer at all.
SMILE!
A heckuva lot. Beyond the fact that you are adding a non-reversible mod, the Kahler trem is not very popular. Many people avoid them like the plague..... Warranted or not, the Kahler has few fans...
the value you will lose is not the problem, its finding someone who would actually buy it.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I'd do it, just to say screw all the guys who think that a Les Paul has to be a Les Paul, why not have a Les Paul with a double locking trem? Who care's if it's not 24 frets or a short scale. My Squier is a testament to cheap useless guitar turning into a badass metal machine.

I say do the mods, if you feel like it, as far as value, I think it would increase, because you just created a one of a kind guitar, and if it plays good, then it will be valuable to the person who wants it. The standard resale value on those types of LP's is very low anyways, you won't loose much even if I am wrong.
if you route the body you will decrease the value of your guitar by all of it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd do it, just to say screw all the guys who think that a Les Paul has to be a Les Paul, why not have a Les Paul with a double locking trem? Who care's if it's not 24 frets or a short scale. My Squier is a testament to cheap useless guitar turning into a badass metal machine.

I say do the mods, if you feel like it, as far as value, I think it would increase, because you just created a one of a kind guitar, and if it plays good, then it will be valuable to the person who wants it. The standard resale value on those types of LP's is very low anyways, you won't loose much even if I am wrong.

I disagree with this post in every way.

If someone wants a Les Paul customized like that, 99.9% of the time they're going to want to do it themselves, or much more likely than that, they'll want to buy a guitar that already has a Kahler on it, so as to avoid any possible mishaps or a plummeted resale value.

I, as a consumer, would not buy an aftermarket modded instrument, because any infinite number of things could be wrong with it, and I don't want to take that chance.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ethan_hanus

Why not just buy a Les Paul with a Floyd on it to begin with.

Like I said earlier, we can all why this, and why that until our heads explode.

Squire and metal machine do not belong in the same sentence unless it is, My Squire will never be a real metal machine.

TS - if you want a Kahler on a Les Paul go for it, but it will hurt the re-sale later if you ever do decide to mod it to that extreme.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

Squire and metal machine do not belong in the same sentence unless it is, My Squire will never be a real metal machine.

Absolutely no reason why a Squier (not squire btw) cannot be a metal machine. All it takes is a loaded pickguard swap. There's absolutely nothing about the body/neck that excludes it from being able to play metal. This is especially true if you drop in a pre-loaded EMG pickguard as active PUP's sound pretty much exactly the same regardless of body/neck woods.
Well with that train of thought I could easily throw EMG's in a hello kitty guitar and it will be metal? I don't ****ing think so.

IMO, in metal you need to be able to do some crazy whammy bar shit. Isn't happening with a Squire. I also belive that a guitar without 24 frets is just dumb. I will never buy another guitar without 24 frets. It limits, well at least my playing. I need 24 frets, and no, bending up on the 21st fret is not the same in any way shape or form.

I mean I could easily pick up an acoustic and play a "metal" song on it. Doesn't make the guitar a "metal machine" though. Which is why Fender or Squire (I know I spelled it wrong, I don't care, this isn't spelling class) doesn't cater to players in metal bands. The most "metal" Fender I know of is the Jim Root sig crap.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Wouldn't a Kahler 2200 series be a better choice for a Les Paul?
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Quote by srob7001
Well with that train of thought I could easily throw EMG's in a hello kitty guitar and it will be metal? I don't ****ing think so.

What makes a guitar metal is not the looks, it's the sound. Yep, throw an EMG into the bridge of the Hello Kitty strat and you'll have a metal sound. Oddly enough the HK strat is a great mod platform if your looking for that single HB/single vol style guitar. It's rear routed and has only a HB route at the bridge. Buy the black one, through the pickguard in the trash, and replace that bridge pup with something that will scream.

Quote by srob7001
IMO, in metal you need to be able to do some crazy whammy bar shit. Isn't happening with a Squire. I also belive that a guitar without 24 frets is just dumb. I will never buy another guitar without 24 frets. It limits, well at least my playing. I need 24 frets, and no, bending up on the 21st fret is not the same in any way shape or form.

Those are YOUR requirements, NOT metals. There are a plethora of true metal bands that play hardtails only. A double locking trem is not a requirement. I'd also venture to say that 95% or greater of metal songs never go beyond the 21-22 fret. More and more metal bands are moving to 7 string guitars......by your logic a metal guitar probably has to have 7 strings as well.

Quote by srob7001
I mean I could easily pick up an acoustic and play a "metal" song on it. Doesn't make the guitar a "metal machine" though. Which is why Fender or Squire (I know I spelled it wrong, I don't care, this isn't spelling class) doesn't cater to players in metal bands. The most "metal" Fender I know of is the Jim Root sig crap.

Again, it's the sound....an acoustic won't SOUND metal so the analogy doesn't work. A squier with EMG's WILL sound metal all day long. Fender doesn't cater to Metal out of choice not because their guitars can't do metal. They CHOOSE to focus on country/blues/classic rock and invest their money there. They've made plenty of metal guitars over the years....it's just not their focus.

Yeah those Jim Root guitars don't sound metal at all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez5QSNW4Iyg&feature=fvw
Quote by srob7001
Why not just buy a Les Paul with a Floyd on it to begin with.

Like I said earlier, we can all why this, and why that until our heads explode.

TS - if you want a Kahler on a Les Paul go for it, but it will hurt the re-sale later if you ever do decide to mod it to that extreme.

Check out my MP3's dude, I've surprised the hell out of people with the tone I get from my Squier and my set up.
Those are all my opinions on what the typical "metal machine" would have.

You look at most bands who play metal and they prob have a guitar w/ 24 frets and a locking trem of some kind. Not all, but most.

And no 7 strings are not necc. for metal, but the do have their place. And most metal bands I listen to DO venture into the 22-24 frets, some even have guitars w/ 27 frets, so for me 24 frets is minimum.

I didn't say the Jim Root guitar didn't sound metal. I just said that is the only guitar Fender has that does cater to metal. At least that I know of.

I know what a strat w/ EMG's can do. I used to have one with an 81 in bridge and I had another that had the David Gilmour set in, but I still wouldn't call them metal machines. Just strats that sounded heavier than normal.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by ethan_hanus
Check out my MP3's dude, I've surprised the hell out of people with the tone I get from my Squier and my set up.

Oh, I know BK's will sound sick in almost any guitar, I just don't consider a strat a metal machine. Nothing against you or your guitar. Just when someone comes to me asking about a guitar for metal, a strat is the last thing on mine and most others minds.

AS long as you like it, that is all that really matters.

Some people just have diff requirements when it comes to what they look for in a guitar.

BTW...where did you get your BK from? From UK or a US distributor?
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Oh, I know BK's will sound sick in almost any guitar, I just don't consider a strat a metal machine. Nothing against you or your guitar. Just when someone comes to me asking about a guitar for metal, a strat is the last thing on mine and most others minds.

AS long as you like it, that is all that really matters.

Some people just have diff requirements when it comes to what they look for in a guitar.

BTW...where did you get your BK from? From UK or a US distributor?

I got it from www.guitarasylum.com, they are a US distributor, just ordered some BKP Trilogy Suite single coils from them.

Strats may not be metal, but I think mine is, plus, music is all about being unique, and showing people who you are, I like to stand out in a crowd.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I got it from www.guitarasylum.com, they are a US distributor, just ordered some BKP Trilogy Suite single coils from them.

Strats may not be metal, but I think mine is, plus, music is all about being unique, and showing people who you are, I like to stand out in a crowd.

Single coils for that same strat to compliment the painkiller?

I was thinking of ordering a painkiller as well for my Jackson. Is it as awesome as everyone claims?

I'm really looking for that british type sound for thrash metal, and that one seems to meet my requirements (ceramic magnet)

That place has really good prices. the place I looked at in NC or something wanted 220.00 for each PU..they are on crack!
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

I was thinking of ordering a painkiller as well for my Jackson. Is it as awesome as everyone claims?

I'm really looking for that british type sound for thrash metal, and that one seems to meet my requirements (ceramic magnet)

That place has really good prices. the place I looked at in NC or something wanted 220.00 for each PU..they are on crack!

IMO nailbombs and warpigs are better for metal and its subgenres..
Quote by srob7001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncgqt6fI6iQ
People are very reluctant to buy a guitar with after-market modifications.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by conor1148
the value you will lose is not the problem, its finding someone who would actually buy it.

This. If you can't find anybody, then what makes your guitar worth what you're asking? You have to consider that when somebody is buying a Les Paul, most of the time they want JUST that. I'm sure they'd save up for the Les Paul Axcess if they really really wanted a LP with a trem system.

If you're going to keep this guitar, then go for it. Get it done, but don't expect to even get half of what your guitar is worth lol
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you customize a guitar that heavily, you shouldn't even be considering the possibility of trading/selling it
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by srob7001

Yeah, I'm a bit of a oddball, I like to go from metal, straight to blues or jazz, or awesome cleans. An HSS set up is about the most versatile set up I can get.

I love my Painkiller, it's extremely punchy, so for thrash it's perfect, cause that's what I love to play, is thrashy type stuff. It has a huge midrange bite to it, so playing it through a dark sounding set up is ideal, like my VK, it's a extremely dark amp, so the American and British tones don't clash. It actually works so well with my amp that I've gotten complements from the guys on the BKP forms, they always thought the PK was icepicky, I think it's cause they kept trying to play it on their Marshalls, which are bright amps already.

Most people will recommend the Warpig or Nailbomb, since they are the most popular, but if you know your way around the EQ on your amp, you can get a huge facemelting tone with this pickup. The cleans on it are alright, not as warm as I would like, bit lifeless, but with a little bit of OD, it really comes alive.
Page 1 of 2