26 23%
offensive
7 6%
joke option
15 13%
Voters: 114.
Page 1 of 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10789553

GPs and other health professionals should tell people they are fat rather than obese, England's public health minister says.

Anne Milton told the BBC the term fat was more likely to motivate them into losing weight.

She said it was important people should take "personal responsibility" for their lifestyles.

But health experts said the word could stigmatise those who are overweight.

Ms Milton, who stressed she was speaking in a personal capacity, said: "If I look in the mirror and think I am obese I think I am less worried [than] if I think I am fat."

thoughts on this?

personally, I think it's hilarious that the general public could possibly be so stupid that they see being fat as worse than obese
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
This is like saying we should call mass murderers "quiet jerks" because it will motivate them to be better.
I'd say being obese is worse than being fat. When you're fat it's like you maybe have some jelly-rolls but nothing seriously health threatening.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I say go for it, it could reduce the amount of obese fat people in Britain. They'll all eat themselves to shite out of depression
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by El3ment380
Obese means that you are gigantic. Fat means you could lose a few.

No.

I've been waiting for something like this to happen
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Haha i've always thought that being politically correct about unhealthy people was a bit silly. But obese is a more fat term than fat.
...In my opinion.
Yaaay, another thin person not realising losing weight and keeping it off once you've been obese is incredibly difficult.

Seriously, she should GTFO until she realises how difficult it is to lose weight and keep that lower weight.
"obese" is definitely more derogatory than "fat". I mean, you can even be obese to the point where it's morbid. or super. calling someone "super obese" would probably be more motivating then saying, "Well, you're fat." fatties get called "fat" pretty regularly. having a medical professional approach you with a stern face and announcing, "Sir, I'm afraid you are morbidly obese. You are obese to the point that it has become morbid," it's pretty harrowing, I'd imagine.
Quote by Waffleguy

Most fat/stupid people don't know what obese means

I don't see how the two are related.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by El3ment380

This is true.

The BMI system (which is crappy anyway) jumps from ideal to obese. Anything that isn't ideal is obese and upwards.

Which is... silly.

If anybody at any health service calls me fat, bitch is getting punched.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by TEK34
Yaaay, another thin person not realising losing weight and keeping it off once you've been obese is incredibly difficult.

Seriously, she should GTFO until she realises how difficult it is to lose weight and keep that lower weight.

Not hard. Takes a while to loose it, but the reason most people don't do it is because they're lazy and or uneducated about health.

Seriously.

^Yes, BMI is retarded. It should be based off your bf%, not your height/weight relation.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Jul 28, 2010,
Adding to the OP, I'd call myself fat, but I'm not obese. I could stand to lose a few kilos but I'm still inside the boundaries for healthy weight (BMI of 24 or so I think).
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Ms Milton, who stressed she was speaking in a personal capacity, said: "If I look in the mirror and think I am obese I think I am less worried [than] if I think I am fat."

If this can be found to be true for the majority, I feel they should be told they're fat. If you're obese, you should be concerned, not thinking "Oh, I'm okay with being obese as long as I'm never told I'm fat." How apathetic can people be?

Conversely, if she or they don't care that they're obese/fat, what do they care what terminology is used?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
This is the greatest suggestion they came up with?
perhaps calling them names will work.
Maybe the Doctor should refer to obesity as "Get off yo ass fatty" disease.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I'm sure they do more work than this concerning the health of the general public but this has to be the most stupid and ineffective idea to decrease obesity ever. It's just bad publicity for the government if anything.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I think you should use the term "Team o' Idiots" instead of NHS.

It's not the NHS, it's the Tories.
Fatties should be humiliated into either suicide or weight loss. Unemployed people could be employed to follow them around singing "fatty, fatty, fat, fat!" at them until they either die or stop eating.
Or get a guy to follow them around with a horn like that episode of Family Guy
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by El3ment380

Obese doesn't necessarily mean that you weigh 500lbs. It basically means that you're over weight. Both mean the same thing really.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by MightyAl
Fatties should be humiliated into either suicide or weight loss. Unemployed people could be employed to follow them around singing "fatty, fatty, fat, fat!" at them until they either die or stop eating.

hiring fat people to do this would kill two birds with one stone.
I'm hideously overweight and calling me fat or obese isn't going to motivate me either way, i think the government should understand that 70% of people are smart enough to realise how overweight they are and then make decide if they want to adjust their lives, some people just have to much time on their hands to think about this crap.
You should have made the poll multiple choice so I could have chosen hilarious and retarded.

And the "joke option" is unnecessary because this whole thing seems like a joke.
I said sensible as I read it 'suitable', figuring it works perfectly for Tories to do something idiotic.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I voted joke option because this is retarded, hilarious, and somewhat offensive at the same time.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
I'd say being obese is worse than being fat. When you're fat it's like you maybe have some jelly-rolls but nothing seriously health threatening.

This the way I see it too.
Quote by josh999x
I'm hideously overweight and calling me fat or obese isn't going to motivate me either way, i think the government should understand that 70% of people are smart enough to realise how overweight they are and then make decide if they want to adjust their lives, some people just have to much time on their hands to think about this crap.

Make time
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
It's the sort of situation where it's only offensive to be called fat if you've suffered the bullying, as I have. It's offensive but if it does work then fair enough The bullying sure as hell motivated me..
making beeping noises when fat people back up is far more likely to motivate them to lose weight.
Obese makes it sound like it's a condition that you have, making it a crutch or excuse. Fat is just plain fat baby
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Fat rather than obese?

Well then I guess they should....
Lose some weight.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
Quote by josh999x

lololol ur fat,
now go excercise!
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I prefer to call them "sins to humanity" but I guess fat is easier on the tongue.

PSN ID: ArranP
Page 1 of 2