I don't know how to improvise over this one.

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H|------10------12----------12------11-----------12------10----------10-------7h9-
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|---12------12----------11------11-----------12------12----------11--------9-----
A|10-------------------9-------------------10-------------------9---------7-------
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When start improvising, I usually check what notes are used and then use them, but this one has all notes except F and C, so i don't think it's only from one scale and using all those notes randomly doesn't sound very good.

Could you tell me what i need to know so i can improvise over this?

That riff is from Stam1na - Joutsen, if somebody is interested.
H???
You do know H isnt a musical note right?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
...h?

Quote by 100%
H???
You do know H isnt a musical note right?

It is in German music theory, but I have no idea what it corresponds to...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
...h?

It is in German music theory, but I have no idea what it corresponds to...

O sorry i didnt know that, however its good to know so thank you

I assume it would correspond to b though
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
first three notes are a d sus4 arpeggio, switching to g major, further to f# sus4 -> f# major -> again g major -> again d sus4 -> f# minor -> b sus4 -> e major
try using those arpeggios, but you can also go for d# hungarian minor or something around that
What?
Last edited by jesus3000 at Jul 28, 2010,
Um i don't know what arpeggios are, i've always used scales on improvisation.

And yeah H is B
an arpeggio is simply voicing out the notes of the chord as single notes.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
one more little tidbit haha

try when arpeggiating switching up the order or the notes...so say a C maj chord CEG try it EGC etc. and on different octaves
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
yeah 'cos i'm playing like solo on it i play at least one octave higher.
sweet
Good luck!

My Website
h is for hammer on idiots
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
Quote by Aris_
Yeah like tuning in that tab is D, A, D, G, Hammer on, E

Idk what's confusing about that...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by midgetrocker36
h is for hammer on idiots

Look at my new strings!

Whats so special about it?

I now have the new hammer on string!

Wow, cool!

Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Never really got why germans spell the B note as H. A-H-C-D doesnt really make sense to me.
But maybe to avoid confusing a double flat symbol for a flat B ?

As far as finding notes for lead to go with chords, playing in a single key / scale works if all the chords are in the same key / scale.
However, if the chords dont really fit a single scale well enough or they have too many out of scale flavour notes, it's better to look at it on a per chord basis, "follow the chord" is the saying.

Basicly, either you have chords or a riff (and that is actually also a chord) and try to find a scale that matches the root and flavour of the chord. Like a minor chord could have a minor scale. If the chord is a bit more altered or extended, try to find a scale that contains the notes in themselves.

Alternativly, just look for notes that all chords have in common. Or a scale that has some of the notes. For example: first look if you can just use the roots, then look if you can involve as much 5ths as possible, then 3rds etc.

Remember that you dont necessarily need to involve every played note in a scale. It's quite usual to have a few notes here or there that are 'out of scale'.
The thing is that not all notes are created equal! It's a little more important to have to roots and then the fifths in scale, more flavour like thirds or added ninths, 7ths and so on dont necessarily have to be in key.

This might get a bit over your head, if so I suggest to read up a bit on the major scale, it's intervals and how you make chords out of that. It's not that advanced, and stuff will start to make a lot more sense
Look at your keyboards guys, H is right above B, it was probably just a typo...or he's from somewhere in Europe where H is B natural.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Quote by EdgedInBlue
Look at your keyboards guys, H is right above B, it was probably just a typo...or he's from somewhere in Europe where H is B natural.

Neither of these possibilities are funny though...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Has no one here heard of the "Bach Motif"? Bach frequently liked to use the notes "B - A - C - H" (Bb - A - C - B) in that order. Though, I can't confirm or deny it's validity.

H = B in Germany.
Quote by BlackmetalGitar
why B. it starts at g?...down to e....
I guess you misstabbed something. It sounds weird...

Listen to the song from youtube, Stam1na - Joutsen.

Oh and H isn't only used in Germany, I'm from Finland and it's used here too.