I'm having an issue with some pick-ups I transfered to an Epi Les Paul from my Ibanez. I didn't do the soldering job, a friend did it quite a while ago and I haven't bothered to try and fix whatever it is he messed up. Anyway, when I use this through an amp, the clean channel sounds normal, albeit maybe a little quieter than it should be. However, on any channel with distortion/gain, it sounds almost the exact same it did on clean, maybe with a small amount of gain added. It's not the cable, it's not the amp, it's for sure the wiring in the pick-ups. Is there anyone that knows perhaps where the problem might be so I can look for it?
volume on the pickup will probably be low? Were the pickups from the Ibanez active? Because they will most likely need new volume and tone pots, as the resistances between pickups can vary.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
It's the amp, not the pickups. Your pickups won't change wether or not the amp sounds clean or distorted. If the amp is on the OD channel, no matter what's wrong with the pickups, you'll still here the distortion through the buzzing. If it's staying clean when you switch it to the OD channel, it's the amp
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
It's the amp, not the pickups. Your pickups won't change wether or not the amp sounds clean or distorted. If the amp is on the OD channel, no matter what's wrong with the pickups, you'll still here the distortion through the buzzing. If it's staying clean when you switch it to the OD channel, it's the amp

could just be the pups cleaning up though? because he said its quieter on the clean channel than normal?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
They're not active pups and the volume is at max. And it is not the amp, the amp works great with other guitars, it's just the wiring of these pups, but I don't know exactly what's causing it to short or whatever.
Different volume pots work for different pups, because they all need different resistances to let the right amount of signal through, as some may be stronger than others, which is the likely case with swapping from ibanez to epi. You may need new pots man.
Gear:
Snark Headstock tuner!
^sorry man but that post isn't very accurate.

you can use any pot value you want for passive pups. higher resistances shunt less treble to ground, so higher values sound brighter. the guitars' pots will be either 250k or 500k. 500k is used with humbuckers and in almost, if not every, budget guitar regardless if it has singles or humbuckers.

tl;dr, the pot values arent the problem. you may have defective pots or just plain bad soldering. bad soldering fills the circuit with accidental diodes.
I've figured out it's a ground issue. It was doing it's job and taking away buzz, but at the same time was taking away signal from the pups. I'm trying different things to still have a ground but the same signal strength.