Since there is one thread on screaming, I figured out to do a thread on rapping too.

So, feel free to discuss your favourite patterns, your exercises for doubletime, or just nice flows you found along your way!

My favourite exercises to train my doubletime speed are:

for sounds from the lips: mamana, manama, and babidibabidibu
for hard sounds from the tongue: takata tataka

repeat all these sounds, starting at slow speed (aka 60bpm) to fast (aka 150 bpm)

Have fun!

Edit: a sticky from the mods would also be nice!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Hmm, I really never knew that there were exercises for rapping. I have no intention of becoming a rapper, but these are fun to play around with.
Quote by Madzää

Edit: a sticky from the mods would also be nice!

Let's see how the interest goes...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I practice freestyling alot. It is a great excerise, and really get's me thinking. Most songs I write, no matter what genre, start by me freestyling at home, in the car, or in my head where ever. I don't know why most people on this forum don't even consider hip-hop music. There is theory used when producing, and rapping is just a form of singing.

I definitly reccomend everyone trying to rap, because it will help your songwriting whether you're making hip-hop or not. And it is cool to throw in a hip-hop verse here or there in songs.

Here's a list of some albums to check out, if you want to learn about hip-hop:
Nas- Illmatic
Nas- It Was Written
Notorious B.IG.- Ready to Die
Notorious B.IG.- Life After Death
Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt
Big L- Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Big Punisher- Capitol Punishment
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
2Pac- All Eyez On Me
2Pac- Me Against the World(actually get everying by 2Pac)
Dr. Dre- The Chronic
Snoop Doggy Dogg- Doggystle
KRS-One- Criminal Minded
Erik B. & Rakim- Paid in Full
Common- Ressurection
The Fugees- The Score
Mos Def & Talib Kweli- Blackstar
Mos Def- Black On Both Sides
The Roots- Illadelph Halflife
Atmosphere- God Loves Ugly
Brother Ali- Us
Brother Ali- The Undisputed Truth
NoNeedz- The Getaway
The Problemaddicts- Dark Side of Oz
If you don't want to become stale i suggest looking into early 90s and 80s hip hop. the rappers now are mostly "gangster" rappers, you won't find much orginality or substance. Don't get me wrong they can mix the hell out of a song and make into a creative beat but still it lacks the flavor hip hop has. and for those who didnt know Hip Hop and Rap aren't the same thing. Rap was a spin off that became mainstream mostly due to the whole rise of Tupac and B.I.G.
I Would like to also add that hip hop style of rhyming goes better with rock music in general, I think Hollywood Undead are one of the few who lyrics style is on the gangster rap vibe.
I recently started rapping as a side from the whole screaming thing. Unlike most rappers, my inspiration came from J-Dilla, The D.O.C. and Eazy-E. Growing up, my mom listened to A LOT of N.W.A. and for being a white kid from Cali, people are oddly surprised by my raps. I rap mostly about politics, people's problems, how they can fix their lives. None of my raps are about myself. I have a few friends making beats for me and I have a little home studio that I'm going to start using so I can put out a little mix tape. =P
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Nice to see some interrest going!

As for artists, my main inspirations come from Slick Rick and Guru (hiw work with DJ Premier as Gang Starr was dope!) and various german rappers. The "intelligent hip hop" scene had some great releases over the last few years here!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
I've been trying to teach myself to rap for a while. Does anyone have any techniques that will help me to get better?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Public Enemy, KRS-One, K'naan....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I've been trying to teach myself to rap for a while. Does anyone have any techniques that will help me to get better?

Practicing with a metronome would be a good start, and if you want to get your technique very cleanly, train to speak patterns of syllabes (like the ones in the first post) in 8ths, 16th´s, triols and what-not. I think to master this up to 145 bpm is the fastest you´ll ever need.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com