So I've been browsing though used guitars online, and something I'm not sure about in general is if the chips out of the wood of the guitar (like on the corner of a V wing or something) will affect sound quality. I don't mean just missing paint, I mean there is slight chunk of wood missing, maybe the size of a quarter. Cosmetically it is obviously a negative, but usually the price is lowered to offset this, and to be honest I don't mind how it looks. I just don't want my tone to be affected.

Any general input?

Thanks.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 28, 2010,
if the dent came as a result from a fall.. well, then yes.

if it creates a buzzing noise as a result of a crack that's formed in the dent, then yeah, that's also a problem.

on the other hand, it might just be a love tap. that creates no problems other than cosmetic.

so basically, it depends on the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by vaca11
any pics ? and what is this guitar

I'm currently looking through Randy Rhoads guitars.

Here are a couple of pics of the wing chips:

Quote by jj1565
if the dent came as a result from a fall.. well, then yes.

if it creates a buzzing noise as a result of a crack that's formed in the dent, then yeah, that's also a problem.

on the other hand, it might just be a love tap. that creates no problems other than cosmetic.

so basically, it depends on the guitar.

Hm... dang. So it seems like kind of a gamble when buying these kinds of used guitars then?

Also, just out of curiosity, how does a dent/chip from the guitar falling differ from the dent/chip of a guitar being bumped?
well because when you know a guitar has fallen at least once, the whole integrity of the guitar becomes suspect.

are there neck joint cracks, is the neck playable, any hardware damage...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

those pictures show nothing but cosmetic "chips".

i can't say from this limited info if there are any issues with this guitar.

i can say that i'm certain this is not a Babied guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

All well used guitars show battle scars bro...look at SRVs strat and it didn't effect his sound...
In my opinion cosmetic flaws give a guitar personality
But I know a lot of you like clean cut guitars,I guess its all personal pref
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
^well, i'm not talking about cosmetic issues.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well because when you know a guitar has fallen at least once, the whole integrity of the guitar becomes suspect.

Doesnt being slammed around on the ground go along with "falling"...that's all I was saying.I agree with what your saying though
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by jj1565
those pictures show nothing but cosmetic "chips".

i can't say from this limited info if there are any issues with this guitar.

i can say that i'm certain this is not a Babied guitar.

+1 Jen

My 2 cents is that it will be fine but like she said you almost have to play it and check out everything else. Chip being on bottom like that is suspect. Look for cracks etc you know common sense stuff.
The wood being gone doesn't affect tone. However, if it was dropped it may have other damage to it aswell.
Rhoads guitars don't necessarily have to be dropped to get chips like that on the points, though.

It's very common with gigging guitars because you smack into amps/cabs/mic stands when you turn around.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Rhoads guitars don't necessarily have to be dropped to get chips like that on the points, though.

It's very common with gigging guitars because you smack into amps/cabs/mic stands when you turn around.

yeah bubba, except you know, if it's been gigged hard then we're back to the old,
"not babied" thing.

if it's good deal, and not a fake and the seller seems to have a good record, then it's up to you if you want to take a chance on a used guitar.

no one here can guarantee it's going to work as advertised when it arrives.

it's ebay you know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ Yeah, just saying.

I've owned two RR1s now, one Japanese and one American, and it's damned hard to keep the wood on those points, even if you baby it.

But you're on the right track with having to examine the guitar pretty carefully to make sure that there's nothing seriously wrong with it. I definitely wouldn't buy one off eBay with point damage.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
ya i agree i had an RR24 and it really tough to keep paint on those fins.

that being said i also dropped mine a few times, before i traded er in..
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey