Page 1 of 3
What are the tonal differences between 6L6 and EL34 tubes?
I'm looking at amps such as the Engl SE 670 EL 34 and the 6L6 version, or the Peavy 6505+ or the 6534+ and I want to know the difference between the tubes since it is hard to seek out these amps to play through em.
Thanks.
The difference is mostly once you crank the amp and get power amp distortion. 6l6's sound more American, with a flubbier, rounder bottom end. EL34s are more British sounding, with more midrange and tighter bottom end. What type of music do you play?

Basically, Marshall distortion compared to Fender, if you want to get as basic as possible.
Quote by stykerwolf
Metalheads usually like 6L6 tubes over EL34s because of their bigger low end, scoopier midrange and high headroom. Although it's not really THAT audible, the 6L6 provides a very big low end thud and that's why most of the amplifiers targeting high gain use them.

Well, not really.

Most high end metal amps use EL-34s.

I much prefer EL-34s. 6L6s can sound dull and lifeless unless it's done right. EL-34s are more aggressive and have a high end bite to them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like 6L6s better...stykerwolf is right about the low end...thats why I didn't keep the EL34s in the XXX. Different strokes for different folks. If you amp can take both types, try both a see which you like the best.
Funny, I tried both in my Laney just yesterday.

6L6s got me more low-mids than EL34s, but it's not that big of a deal. What's more noticable is that the 6L6s don't get me as many upper mids, so the amp seems a lot 'smoother' and less agressive, while the top-end is still present. It feels like a big dip in the frequency curve, comparatively.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well, not really.

Most high end metal amps use EL-34s.

I much prefer EL-34s. 6L6s can sound dull and lifeless unless it's done right. EL-34s are more aggressive and have a high end bite to them.

really? i'm not very familiar with high end br00tz amps but most of them i've heard/listened/played/looked up on youtube had 6L6s. must be missing out on the british bt00tz then lol
Quote by TheQuailman
Funny, I tried both in my Laney just yesterday.

6L6s got me more low-mids than EL34s, but it's not that big of a deal. What's more noticable is that the 6L6s don't get me as many upper mids, so the amp seems a lot 'smoother' and less agressive, while the top-end is still present. It feels like a big dip in the frequency curve, comparatively.

Yup, most 6L6 amps sounds boring to my ears. Sure, you have a big lowend, but throw some EL-34s in a 6L6 amp and you have a much more lively, cutting sound

Quote by stykerwolf
really? i'm not very familiar with high end br00tz amps but most of them i've heard/listened/played/looked up on youtube had 6L6s. must be missing out on the british bt00tz then lol

I believe all Diezels come stock with EL-34s. Framus, Splawn and Bogner as well. Even Engl's flagship SE comes in an EL-34 version, which is the more popular of the two.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 28, 2010,
I honestly don't know which I like better with my amp.

Admittedly I was a bit disappointed with the lack of high mids, but it lets me dime the mid pot without it getting all ice-picky. I'll probably switch back to EL34s though.
Quote by due 07
What type of music do you play?

Basically, Marshall distortion compared to classic Peavey metal amps, if you want to get as basic as possible.

+1 on type of music.

also Fixed for better comparison purposes

I like the mid-range growl of EL34s
EL34s just have such an amazingly aggressive midrange and top end.

They're a bit loose in the bottom compared to 6L6s, but music isn't all about 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 all the time.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Okay, I love a 6l6 amp with mids. Cite: 5150/6505.

I hate scooping my mids, but at the same time i really like 6l6 mids more than el34 mids. I just feel el34's sound kinda sterile.

The only el34 amp im looking at possibly getting is german, which happens to be the middle man of British vs. American sound in terms of general frequencies. ENGL Invader 100.

So yeah, 6l6 mids sound good to me.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
almost all brootz amps come with el34s.

exceptions are mesa boogie, soldano, maybe some others.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I play technical death metal, so I'm looking for a very tight, focused, and clear sound, similar to Decrepit Birth's, with slightly more low end punch.
Quote by AcousticMirror
almost all brootz amps come with el34s.

exceptions are mesa boogie, soldano, maybe some others.

alot of mesa do come with 6l6, although they say they like el34 better and put 6l6 in probably for cost/shipping.

personally i like el34 better. they feel better to play, in terms of response to playing. and 6l6 are too low chunky american jackfest for me. (lol, not all of the time, depending on how they are used)

el34 tones: Opeth, Eluveitie, Swallow the Sun, Katatonia, etc

6l6 tones: Baroness, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Strapping Young Lad, Wintersun

EDIT: second the kt88s, just please for the love of tone please dont get a crate blue voodoo 300. my friend has one.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 28, 2010,
I see... Opeth...

Now I am keeping my el34s in my bugera. I do love the tone I get in spite of the shitty cab. Just gotta get the port city wave cab and ill be closer.
many people like switching their EL34's over to KT77's for greater low end response. should be a bit more headroom their too. from what i remember of the physics, the 6L6GC and EL34 are of a pentode design. the KT77 is a 'kinkless tetrode' design that is usually considered sonically superior to pentode designs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ Supposed to be sonically superior for high fidelity audio stuff. For guitar purposes it's a taste thing.

KT77s don't give you the same upper mids and treble that an EL34 will. They're a bit darker.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by gumbilicious
many people like switching their EL34's over to KT77's for greater low end response. should be a bit more headroom their too. from what i remember of the physics, the 6L6GC and EL34 are of a pentode design. the KT77 is a 'kinkless tetrode' design that is usually considered sonically superior to pentode designs.

6L6 is also kinkless tetrode thingy
Quote by AcousticMirror
kt88s brootz everythng prison shower style

Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
SO how to KT88s and KT77s stack up against El34s and 6L6s? I'm looking for a very focused low end since I play in drop B and still want clarity and lots of midrange in the sound.
Quote by stykerwolf
6L6 is also kinkless tetrode thingy

This. The 6L6 was made to get around Philips' patent on pentodes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by metalheadinjury
SO how to KT88s and KT77s stack up against El34s and 6L6s? I'm looking for a very focused low end since I play in drop B and still want clarity and lots of midrange in the sound.

you need a fryette with kt88s.
i use both... at once...
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you need a fryette with kt88s.

How does a Fryette sound compared to an Engl Powerball?
Ask matrixclaw. I've only played the powerball 1 and it was at a store so I couldn't get a good feel for it.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Ask matrixclaw. I've only played the powerball 1 and it was at a store so I couldn't get a good feel for it.

Don't ask me, I've never played an Engl
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Damn. Do you know any users that have experience with both?
And what Fryette model is the best for a modern high gain sound?
Quote by metalheadinjury
How does a Fryette sound compared to an Engl Powerball?

Drier, much much more mids, much more dynamics, much more awesomes.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by AcousticMirror
pitbull ul.
deliverance
sig/x

in that order.

You really can't go wrong with any VHT/Fryette. The CL series seems to be less loved for rhythms though.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by mmolteratx
This. The 6L6 was made to get around Philips' patent on pentodes.

yup, thats what i get for not looking.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
here's a link that explains all the power tubes, hope it helps

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm

in a nutshell,

el34: more mids and a more agressive sound
6l6's: more lows and more round sound
KT88's: hugh low end thump, but still good highs and mids
KT77's: mix of 6l6's and el34's
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
I absolutely hate that dude's tone. It sounds completely lifeless to me, I much prefer the Engl sound (price also- I'm still a teenager and I'll need a professional amp within a year, the sooner the better and the Fryette might be out of my price range). Does anybody know if an Engl Powerball or SE has been modded with KT77s or KT88s? I'm curious as to how that would sound.
Page 1 of 3