I used the search bar and none of my finds were helpful. The only scale I've used in the year or so I took of guitar lessons was a minor pentatonic. I am family with the modes and all scales from a theory class, but not how to apply them to guitar. Also, none of these when I play them come out sounding natural for anything other than just being a scale.

What can I use to improve my rock style soloing? I learn various solos but often times when I try to elaborate I'll hit wrong notes.

To give you an idea of the type of stuff i'm looking for, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRbAGxk31Nc
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Well the major scale is always a good choice. Along with Mixolydian modes. Sense you are familiar with minor pentatonic try playing it in the Aoleon mode of the key your in. So in C you would play an A pentatonic. I think that will give you the sound your are looking for
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
He's using B aeolian for the bulk of that solo, so just practice different patterns of that scale until your fingers AND your ear have good feel for it. Improvisation is all about developing a relationship between those two parts of your body. The reason the scales sound just like scales is because you haven't developed the ability to organize those patterns into the ideas in your heard yet.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
^^ I concur
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
i always just use a standard pentatonic shape like:
--5----8--
--5----8--
--5----7--
--5----7--
--5----7--
--5----8--
is there any other scales tht will go with this one tht r movable? thx
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
try going up the neck with it to get to a different position...like this

A 0 2 3 5 7 9 10 12

then you could use this for for your pentatonic

E 15 17
B (12) 13 15 17
G 12 14
D (9) 10 12 14
A 12
E

the notes in () are the 2nds and aren't used in the pentatonic...I can but in the 6th if you would like

My Website
can anyone point me in the direction of straightforward website with tabbed out scales so i can work on learning them better?
I don't want to further frustrate myself. >.<
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
@angusman60 thx ill try tht out next time
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
I could be wrong, but that video sounds like the Minor Scale, not the Aeolian Mode (yes there is a difference). The Minor Scale is Diatonic, and the Aeolian Mode is modal, they use the exact same notes, but they are still different. It's actually very hard to play the Aeolian Mode because it wants to keep going to the Minor Scale.

I think the key to soloing in the genre you want is not the scale your using, but how you're using the scale. You can make almost any scale sound like any genre you want. I would suggest looking into learning about phrasing, when I learned this, my soloing improved a ton.

Quote by adamrandall
What can I use to improve my rock style soloing? I learn various solos but often times when I try to elaborate I'll hit wrong notes.

Are you just learning different Rock style solos, or are you actually analyzing them as well. Just learning different solos in the genre you want will help, but if you analyze them you could get much more out of it. Try to pay attention to everything that is going on in the solo, and how they combine the notes to get the sound they want.

Also, and a lot of people on this forum won't like this, I always thought that technique was much more important than theory when it comes to soloing. I usually use theory when writing music and other stuff like that, but it never really improved my playing, thats because theory has nothing to do with guitar, it helps with the music, not playing the instrument. The techniques I would work on for solos like this would be Alternate Picking, Vibrato, and Sweep Picking (towards the end). Check out the Guitar Technique forum to learn about those. And out of the three of those, vibrato would probably be the most important. The other two just help you play faster, but vibrato actually adds emotion to your music.

Hope I could help!
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"