Hey all, I'm not sure if this is in the right place, or if I've overlooked something that may answer my question. Feel free to close/move if it's out of place.

Anyways, me and a friend of mine are starting a new project, we're going to write pop-punk music, but it will be a lot more "pop" (think All Time Low or Mayday Parade) than most music in that genre. When I write, I usually just jam until I find something cool, but for this I feel like it should be more calculated, as I can't just stumble upon catchy parts most of the time. If anyone could recommend to somewhere I could read up on the technicalities of modern pop-rock, that would be cool. If anyone just give me some tips or just info on how some of those bands go about writing, that would also be much appreciated. Thanks!
It seems to me a lot of it is based off of just major 3rds...nothing is too complex. It is all pretty linear (going up and down a scale).
If you can use some harmonies in 3rds etc.

I do like mayday parade though. They have some tight harmonies.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
It'll really be simplest to just learn a lot of the songs you want to sound like, and analyse them to find out the theory behind them.
Quote by blue_strat
It'll really be simplest to just learn a lot of the songs you want to sound like, and analyse them to find out the theory behind them.
This is really the best way. I can tell you that it's mainly simple diatonic chords in major keys.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea