I haven't been on here for a while, but I've been searching for a while and can't find quite what I'm looking for:

I recently put a deposit down for a new acoustic-electric bass (a five-string Michael Kelly Club Custom) and am interested in stringing her up with a high C instead of a low B. I've been scouring the internet ever since trying to find a set of acoustic strings with a C and the only one I noticed was a Thomastik-Infeld 6-string set that costs over $100 on Musician's Friend. I'd hate to put that much money towards an experiment, so does anyone know where I could find what I'm looking for?
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
That's exactly what I thought, but I haven't had any luck finding a single acoustic C.
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Maybe get a single acoustic guitar A string? Not sure exactly, but I think that's around the right gauge.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Is it on order? Can you request an E-C option (if there is one with a properly cut nut)? Call your dealer. If not, you'll have to find out what the stock string is on the MK's and order a single C.

There's a lot of string talk here. You'll have to read through it.
http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443269
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=16
Last edited by OtamotPuhctek at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Is it on order? Can you request an E-C option (if there is one with a properly cut nut)? Call your dealer. If not, you'll have to find out what the stock string is on the MK's and order a single C.

There's a lot of string talk here. You'll have to read through it.
http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443269
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=16

It is on order, but when I asked about it, they told me it wasn't possible (straight from the distributor). But from what I found from those links, it looks like most people just use electric bass strings. Do you know if using them would bring a reduction in volume?
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
That's all the convincing I need. I've used D'Addario Chromes before and, from what I remember, they were fairly comfortable. I'll give those a shot.

Thanks to all who answered my questions, I really appreciate it
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Quote by Confused2316
It is on order, but when I asked about it, they told me it wasn't possible (straight from the distributor). But from what I found from those links, it looks like most people just use electric bass strings. Do you know if using them would bring a reduction in volume?

Not necessarily.
Many keep the stock phosphor bronze rounds on for their bright, zingy, guitar like tone, regardless that they turn your fingers black.
A lot of people play nylon tape wounds from Fender, GHS, LaBella and Roto; the attraction being a warmer tone, zero finger noise and a smooth to the touch surface. Depending on manufacturer, you'll find steel rounds or steel flats under the tape wrapping.
Then there's the acoustic specific, TI Acousticores. Nylon under bronze rounds. Light gauge, very low tension, low acoustic volume, big price tag.
Then the guys/gals who go the electric route with the obvious assortment of flavors.
Quote by TheBadPlace
Maybe get a single acoustic guitar A string? Not sure exactly, but I think that's around the right gauge.
Yeah, but it probably wouldn't be long enough. I doubt it would even reach the tuning machines, let alone with enough slack to wind around enough.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea