Poll: Is it acceptable to buy Chinese stuff?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it acceptable to buy Chinese stuff?
Yes
17 37%
No
4 9%
Unsure
2 4%
Don't care
11 24%
Neil Peart
12 26%
Voters: 46.
I've seen a lot of fuss made about people buying cheap Chinese clothes, toys and other products, and about how China is taking manufacturing jobs away from the US and Europe.

But I was thinking the following:

Firstly, you are free to pay whatever you wish for a product, and if you want to buy cheap junk, then the chances are it'll be made in a sweatshop in China, because Western manufacturing with its higher costs and wage laws simply cannot compete.

Secondly, many families in China and India (and other countries) would simply end up on the streets without the little money that making goods for the West brings them. It might be disgracefully little to us, but to them it's keeping some food on the table.

Thirdly, if you want to buy American or European, then you SHOULD put your money where your mouth is and pay the higher costs associated with doing so. The internet makes finding US and European products a LOT easier than even a few years back.

So, is there really any issue with buying Chinese stuff?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Secondly, many families in China and India (and other countries) would simply end up on the streets without the little money that making goods for the West brings them. It might be disgracefully little to us, but to them it's keeping some food on the table.

I'm pretty sure $1 for an entire day of work makes such a big difference, really. And, actually, by buying these products you're only promoting such exploitation.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I like to think that every product in my house that says "Made in China" was handmade by Jackie Chan.

That is all.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
The deal is the horrible conditions they make people work in, the terrible wages they are paid and the deplorable hours they work for such a tiny wage.
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
But, this is 'Murica. Can't have those damn slanty-eyed terrorist takin' our jerbs!
I don't think I should take peart in this discussion; as I haven't yet neiled the subject.

Anyway, this is my argument for why I shouldn't avoid goods made in China.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 28, 2010,
China's manufacturing industry standards are changing. Workers are demanding higher wages and better working conditions. Check the news.
I wouldn't worry your pretty little heads about it.
Some stuff is absolute crap. I bought a can opener that worked twice then bent out of shape. Some stuff is as good as any though, my 6505 seems ok and has over 500 hrs now.
So what you're saying is that it's a lose-lose situation for everyone?

Only the wealthy are not subject to this, live it and learn from it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
"My concern is not that there are too many sweatshops, but that there are too few."

-Neil Peart
God dammit if people dont stop putting hilarious options in these opinion polls theres a chance no one will ever know my opinion on stuff.

EDIT: On topic you really think there are lots of people in the West that are losing out on the opportunity to sew shirts for hardly any money? I don't we're too proud to do it and they are happy to so its win-win IMO. The problem is when they get rich who the **** is going to make my nikes? No ****ing way im i doing it I cant even thread a needle.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by Vendetta16
The deal is the horrible conditions they make people work in, the terrible wages they are paid and the deplorable hours they work for such a tiny wage.

This is changing slowly. Workers are forming unions (of sorts) and demanding extra wages and better conditions.

@Echoplex:
The China of today is not the China of the '90s. It's not quite up to western standards, but it is changing. Both concerning the quality of their products and the conditions people live in (the latter depends on the exact location though). And I've owned Chinese products that were just fine.

That being said, I don't have a problem spending 100€ on something good. I do have a problem with spending 5€ on junk though.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 28, 2010,
well, I guess I could, if I tried, take issue with how exploitative companies are in outsourcing production, but I don't think about it at all. it may sound callous, but I think that workers need to stand up for their own rights, or demand to have rights, whatever the case. I could boycott products made in China, or wherever, but that would only be to make myself feel better in a pretty pathetic way. in actuality, nothing would change unless the vast majority decided to stop purchasing those products.

that being said, the vast majority are probably just as unaware and indifferent as I am. it's really a matter of convenience and not really being concerned about what happens to people you'll probably never meet who are thousands of miles away. out of sight, out of mind, right?

edit: I guess I should qualify all of that by saying we don't buy anything that isn't made in the US at my house.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jul 28, 2010,
Matters to me so I don't. Don't fucking care if my tiny bit of matter has any effect on the global economy or not.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Just noticed the poll queston and thread question are different, you bitch. I voted for the wrong one, so now I look like a pretentious mong.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Aren't a lot of guitars made in China and Korea?

Yes, but these nations don't have much in common. Korea doesn't make the ultra cheap stuff anymore, it's usually guitars between 500€ and 1000€ nowadays.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Aren't a lot of guitars made in China and Korea?

Yeah, my Walden was built in China, but in a company owned shop with good labor conditions, since the company is actually based in China. And my Ibanez was made in Korea.
I'm on my iPod and didn't even look at ppls names, but then i scrolled back up to the poll and saw Neil Peart as an option and only one name came to mind... Fassa! Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on the subject because SO MUCH is made in china that I've gotten used to seeing it, but I don't really know much about the issues.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I am very proud to say that my bass is made in England. London to be precise, and Barking to be even more exact.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I am very proud to say that my bass is made in England. London to be precise, and Barking to be even more exact.

Didn't you hate England?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by GibsonMan321
I'm on my iPod and didn't even look at ppls names, but then i scrolled back up to the poll and saw Neil Peart as an option and only one name came to mind... Fassa! Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on the subject because SO MUCH is made in china that I've gotten used to seeing it, but I don't really know much about the issues.

Thing is that you CAN buy within the US and Europe, but it nearly always costs more and there's not a lot of choice in a lot of cases.
Global trade improves the lives of everyone involved. Consumers get the best value, and the workers in Asia or wherever get the best employment oppurtunities.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by Echoplex
No, that was LAST month.

Seems I'm not up to date, is she a Buddhist now?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by damian_91
Seems I'm not up to date, is she a Buddhist now?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by damian_91
Didn't you hate England?

Yes. But my Shergold (go and look at the pic of it under my personal pics bit of my profile) is wonderful. It's my main bass.