Hey UG,

So I have a Squire Strat (yes, i know) that I got in a starter pack about 2 years ago. I often tune down to Drop D, Drop C and sometimes Drop B but the strings that came with the guitar get very loose and sound horrible when I tune like this.

Basically, what I want to know is whether just getting thicker strings will fix this problem, or whether it'll take a lot more than just getting new strings?

Thanks.
yes, get some 12's, and you should change them a little more often, 2 years is a long time to not change them
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98
yes, get some 12's, and you should change them a little more often, 2 years is a long time to not change them

Thanks for the reply.

So if I just buy some 12's, could I just replace them with my old strings and everything would be ok?
Quote by guitar ben94
Thanks for the reply.

So if I just buy some 12's, could I just replace them with my old strings and everything would be ok?

You might have to add another spring in the back of the guitar to deal with the heavier gauge of strings. The squire starter pack came with an additional spring
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by guitar ben94
Thanks for the reply.

usually, your nut may need a little adjustment, and the extra spring as mentioned will help keep the tuning stable, but yes, quick and painless
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

And remember it won't be the same straight away, you have to get used to thicker strings.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Thanks guys. I've always wondered what that extra string was for. You learn something new everyday

And will 12's sound any good in standard tuning, cos if not I may have to find a middle ground?
They'll be so tense it'll be uncomfortable, and might damage your neck. I have done it and wouldn't recommend it.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Ok. So is there any strings out their that allow a range of E to B on the 6th string, and like D to F# on others? Or will I have to settle for like 11's which I assume will allow for Drop C at the most?
well if you want something that can best manage both get some 11's, but they will still be very stiff at standard tuning, it's just a decision you will have to make depending on what you play most frequently
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Well I play quite a lot of Metallica, which is more often than not in standard, but I like to play downtuned stuff like BFMV and such too. Tough decision.
You haven't changed the strings on your guitar for 2 years? lol...

Anyways, I recommend Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom down tunings. But unfortunately there's just not really any gauge that is going to comfortably handle standard tuning and Drop B. You'll probably get some fret buzz to when you detune as well, so you might be adjusting that truss rod all the time.

Two years is a long enough time to justify getting a new guitar. Put it on your Xmas wishlist.