I might have a deal on a Tele for $150. The only problem is that it has stickers all over it. I'm planning to sand it down and gloss it for the natural finish. Is this a good deal/plan?

Thanks
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
What kind of Tele is it?
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
fender MIM
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Yeah if it is an MIM thats a great deal. Even with the stickers. Good project guitar!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Indeed. I always wanted to add a tele to my collection. I can get rid of my Michael Kelly Deuce Phoenix though >.< haha I like it. But i don't need two semi hollows and my Italia is much more my thing.

My Website
i might try that. what i'm afaid of is not being able to get the plastic part of the sticker itself off

My Website
Use some acetone, it shouldnt affect the finish as far as i know. if its polyester, im not sure if it is. Itd damage polyurethene though.

Itll remove the stickers without residue.

Basically nail varnish remover.
I'll try that...have to admit i wouldn't mid the natural finish though haha

My Website
I peel the stickers then use naptha (lighter fluid) on any residue.

You should be careful of buying guitars with stickers, since you don't what is under them. I realize you are refinishing it, but there may be some poorly filled dents or gouges to deal with that could make a solid finish more desireable.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Well if i don't like what is under the stickers/paint i can always repaint it haha

My Website
Beware: Acetone (AKA nail polish remover) WILL melt your poly finish! Trust me, it's nasty stuff and extremely flamable.
Quote by amplifiedparts
You can try using some "goo gone" to remove the stickers. That stuff works great, and you can get it at almost any Target/Walmart.

This.

And go for it! That's a great deal on a Tele And if you don't go the "goo gone" route and have success pealing the stickers off yourself, normal rubbing alcohol will bring the residue from the stickers off no problem and it won't hurt the guitar or the finish.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
yeah thats a great deal also i would listen to the guy who said use the goo gone also i just got an AMAZING deal myself today too! i got a new b.c. rich mockingbird st for $91 brand new! if you actually care how i got it p.m. me
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
Telecasters are the shit.

If it's a real Fender I'd go for it for sure.

Is it a SS, P90 or HS version?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
it is SS...but doesn't mean that can't be changed later

My Website
Quote by Angusman60
i might try that. what i'm afaid of is not being able to get the plastic part of the sticker itself off
If you're going for a Natural finish, you'll have to sand it down to the wood; so, the "plastic" part wouldn't matter.

Quote by deluthe
Beware: Acetone (AKA nail polish remover) WILL melt your poly finish! Trust me, it's nasty stuff and extremely flamable.

No, polyester is almost impossible to remove chemically, its just a thick coat of hardened plastic, (And for the record, if your hand sanding its gunna take you about 7 hours of work to strip it.) i just put a bit on my mim tele, did jack squat, just made droplets and ran off. Cleaned it a bit though.
Ain't sayin' the paint will just slide off your guitar but if given the chance to sit on the finish for any length of time it will start to melt and dull the clearcoat. Where I used to work they would use pure acetone to "glue" plexiglass boxes together. They just joined the two pieces of plexi together and squirt acetone between them to instantly melt them together. True plexi is softer than poly and industrial acetone is more potent than polish remover but the potential is still there. I wouldn't take the chance while there are several other more appropriate solvents available.