So, I basically don't think songs learn me as much anymore, sure there are songs that will help me out but it's hard to find em cause often they are either too hard or too easy..(mainly too hard ) and since I've never really been that knowledgable about scales and such, except the pentatonic scale lol, I was wondering if someone could help me find some theory that'd extend my knowledge on scales and learn new scales, and thereby helping my leads so when someone says "play a harmonic minor scale in E" I'll know what to do

Oh and if there was some exercises with the scale that could improve my sweeping, really bad at it, or other shred techniques that'd be aweeesome too

Thanks in advance
I'll send you an email with all of the notes and things I give to my students about scales and modes that you may want to know, it helped me out a lot.
Apparently the modes are a good place to start.

But yeah, it's the same thing here for me, I've tried learning these scales but I'd like some definate way of actually learning them and using them in practise.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
A good start with scales would be:

- The Major Scale
- The Natural, Harmonic and Melodic minor scales
- Minor Pentatonic
- Major Pentatonic

Learn all of these in every key. Focus on learning the actual notes and intervals involved, not just the shapes. Shapes will help you remember comfortable places to play licks, but force yourself not to think of scales as shapes (or fret numbers for that matter)

What will really help this is knowing your fret board.

This place has a lot of good info on music theory in general, as well as a cool fretboard trainer

If you want to improve lead playing, it really helps if you have a good understanding of chord theory as well. That sight has some great info as well.

The most important thing when playing lead (or any music at all) is listening. Listen to the way each scale, and interval sounds. It will help you transalate whats in your head to the fretboard.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
Apparently the modes are a good place to start.

But yeah, it's the same thing here for me, I've tried learning these scales but I'd like some definate way of actually learning them and using them in practise.

The modes are probably the worst place to start.

For theory, read these.

For technique exercises, there is a sticky in the Guitar Techniques forum (who'da thunk?) with literally thousands of exercises.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by kkquick
2 Things to improve lead playing: Chords and intervals!

Ya, I know how to play chords, and my teacher told me a bit about how they were made, but he's not the most thorough in theory :/..tried to read The Crusade here on ug about intervals, was confused a lot :/
Quote by Wrathchild15
Ya, I know how to play chords, and my teacher told me a bit about how they were made, but he's not the most thorough in theory :/..tried to read The Crusade here on ug about intervals, was confused a lot :/

Put simply, an interval is the space between notes.

Go to the website that I showed you in my last post, it has a few very illustrative lesson on intervals, with sound so you can hear the difference.

If you have a specific question about a certain point, or understanding something you can certainly feel free to PM me. Or ask in the thread.

Edit: And if your teacher is not the most thorough in theory, and thats something your interested in learning (you should be) than maybe its time to find a knew teacher that can supply you with that knowledge.
Last edited by mtforever at Jul 28, 2010,
Ya I know I should try find a new, but after I had him for a month, I had to subscribe for a year, and didn't know much there yet, also I checked out the prices for others..very expensive, I get mine cheaper cus it's at my schoo
Quote by mtforever

Go to the website that I showed you in my last post, it has a few very illustrative lesson on intervals, with sound so you can hear the difference.

If you have a specific question about a certain point, or understanding something you can certainly feel free to PM me. Or ask in the thread.

The website you linked, is there any lesson you think I should start with, it seems like a really great site tho
Quote by Wrathchild15
The website you linked, is there any lesson you think I should start with, it seems like a really great site tho

Honestly, I would start right up at the top and work your way to the bottom. It will really help to understand the basics of reading sheet music before you get to the actual lessons.

But perhaps it would help if I knew, what you knew already.
Well I can read tabs of course, and then I can read basic notes, like a quarter note, a sixteenth note and so on, and I also know the silences and such, oh and I know the notes for the first 5 frets on all six strings or something like that, and then my teacher switched more over to tabs

Oh also know basic chords, if I think hard enough I know the fretboard, and I know the pentatonic scale
Okay then, it's probably best start at the top and work your way down. It's in a pretty good order.