So I'm looking to buy a Martin, and my price range is $1,000USD. The two i've been looking at are the D-15 Custom Spruce and Rosewood and the D-16GTL. What do you guys think?

Also, what does the GTL stand for in the D-16?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
The L in GTL means that it is a left handed guitar. The GT stands for gloss top. Only the guitar top will be finished in high gloss(shiny).

The main difference is that the D15 is all mahogany. It has a deep, dark sound.

The D-16GT will have a more balanced sound since it has mahogany back/side.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
will the 15 still be all mahogany even with the "custom spruce"? its hard to tell since guitarcenter and musiciansfriend don't have any pictures of the D15 custom. And with the D16GTL, it would still be finished on the back/side, right? Just not "high gloss"? Thanks for your help.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Quote by Stolen Identity
will the 15 still be all mahogany even with the "custom spruce"? its hard to tell since guitarcenter and musiciansfriend don't have any pictures of the D15 custom. And with the D16GTL, it would still be finished on the back/side, right? Just not "high gloss"? Thanks for your help.

Ohh. In that case, I'm not really sure what the 15 is. Probably spruce top mahogany side/back. The other differences I'm not sure. Bracing and aesthetics could be the main differences.

And yes, the 16GTL would be finished on all sides.

In any case, why would you be looking at the 15 and the 16 in left hand? Just curious.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I guess the 15 is spruce top and rosewood side/back and fretboard. The 16 is spruce top and mahogany side/back, with micarta fretboard. So I guess what I'm wondering is if there are pros/cons to the micarta fretboard. I see that it is not wood, it is synthetic. Will that make a difference soundwise? Or just make it more durable?

And I'm looking at both lefthanded, not just the 16, haha. The D-15 just didn't have L in the title I guess.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy