OK i know practicing a lot will make me way better at playing. But when i even try playing really easy song's ( smell's like teen spirit, iron man, etc...) it's like my hand's are afraid to move ( not get lost ) or i just cant get the rythum ( spelling ) or speed. I don't know what's wrong maybe I'm just scared because i want to get it right.

For example... Room 409 by Bullet For My Valentine the intro is really easy but i cant get the speed down or flow.

Am I doing something wrong
That happens to all of us. You might be thinking too hard about it. Just relax and let the music flow from you. One of my instructors once told me that to truly have something down you have to be able to play it 20 times in a row without messing up. That is a little extreme but it is something to think about. I know sometimes i know something but my fingers hesitate because i don't want to screw it up haha this means you just need more practice
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
you might just be nervous/tense. guitar is supposed to be fun so just relax
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
No not nervous or shaky just like in mind its telling me its harder then what it looks. An i think that's what's getting me so when I go to play something. It's like my mind is doubting me an I try an ignore it an just play it. But still in my mind its telling me i can't do it.
don`t think about it, just relax hear the rhythm in your head and go with the flow

hint on spelling rhythm....it`s the only word in the english language without any vowels

edited for spelling
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 28, 2010,
Well i see that most of the open note's on Room 409 are Pm's. Would it be fine if i just learned the song with out the Pm's an once i get the song down then try with the Pm's. Sorry if this is not the right place but i thought i would just ask.
yes, there`s no hardened set rule that says you must play it exact from the get go, if you are struggling with rhythm don`t confuse yourself with other techniques until you`ve mastered the basic changes
well i can get the rhythm but my speed is a lacking somewhat in some parts. I don't want to force my self playing faster but, maybe speed up a little bit each time i play a riff or verse.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
hint on spelling rhythm....it`s the only word in the english language without any vowels

syzygy

fly
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

The 'Y' in both of those examples is actually considered a vowel.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
The 'Y' in both of those examples is actually considered a vowel.

Then it also is in "rhythm", no?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
no `cos the Y is silent.

TS:- that is the standard process play it slow then build up the speed gradually, it may be worthwhile investing in a metronome
Don't be afraid to make mistakes I guess. The only reason why you're hesitating and stuff when you play is probably that you're nervous and haven't relaxed. Try playing guitar with the song and really getting into it. That helps me when I'm doing tricky rhythms and stuff.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
well i have a boss tuner with a metronome in it but idk how to use it lol. Well now the parts I'm having trouble on are the solo a course an the finger tapping on the lowest string. I believe it goes ( 7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8 ) ( 7-10-7 ) ( 7-10-7-10-7). I am not sure if im not pushing down hard enough or what but its a little hard when i tap them an to get them loud.