Hello, I am an intermediate player.. I have played rythim most of the time I have on guitar but now I wanna Learn to play lead. Soo can u guys please tell me what I need to learn and if possible links to places that can help me learn these techniques.. Thanks!
A7X FOR LIFE

Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom black and silver
Marshall JMD1 series JMD100 And MA412 Halfstack
Boss ME-70 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal

Gear funds:
funds for Schecter solo-6 ATX ($70/$800)
study intervals and memorize their sounds using and aural trainer. Listen to them as you learn and play the minor Pentatonic scale.

Thats pretty widely accepted as a good starting point. Theres also a good column (might be lesson) in UG called before shredding. You don't have to want to shred but it has some pretty good warm up exercises in it for rock/blues players.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to memorize the fretboard and different mode and scale shapes.

Good luck bud!!!
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
i'll give you some key things you need to learn to be a good lead player.

Circle of fifths/key- know this because you can tell what scales to play over a rhythm thats in a certain key.

Scales- know them and you'll be able to play to any key you want (know these before you learn your circle of fifths)

Arpeggios- learn how to form them and use them (string skipping, sweeps, tapping)

tapping- easy, fun, and difficult sounding and looking. You'll learn more difficult ways to make it better than just the basics.

Vibrato- Learn this and it will put some feel and good sound to your solos. Work on it and get a nice and beautiful wide but steady vibrato.

ALTERNATE PICKING- I recommend Paul Gilbert's intense rock 1(look for it on youtube and learn)

I recommend learning all these on youtube because it's how I learned a lot. I was lesson taught at first for about a year then it closed and I did stuff online for another 2 years. Also learn some of your favorite songs that have solos that you want to learn so you can learn from your influences and add to your sound.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
+1 bfredder92

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Okk thanks but I was wondering if you know a video or place that's good help on sweeps? I tried them a few times b4 and I failed epicly XD
A7X FOR LIFE

Gear:

Gear funds:
Quote by Synfan21
Okk thanks but I was wondering if you know a video or place that's good help on sweeps? I tried them a few times b4 and I failed epicly XD

Sweeps aren't the best for new lead players. Work on them slowly and cleanly like everything. Split them up note by note. Idk any vids that helped me with that but start with 3 string sweeps then progress to more strings. You will get the hang of it just practice practice practice
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Spend time workin on your vibtrato bro its one of the key attributes that will set your apart from other players
I would start out with basic pentatonic stuff like hendrix and srv and then work your way up to harder stuff...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
dont start with sweeps. there a bitch to master, so learn theory before you learn technique. It will help.
Quote by Synfan21
Hello, I am an intermediate player.. I have played rythim most of the time I have on guitar but now I wanna Learn to play leadr4 sdhc. Soo can u guys please tell me what I need to learn and if possible links to places that can help me learn these techniques.. Thanks!

no techniques. just excercize.
Quote by AJSaw
dont start with sweeps. there a bitch to master, so learn theory before you learn technique. It will help.

This might seem like a dumb question but what do u mean by theory?
A7X FOR LIFE

Gear:

Gear funds:
Quote by Synfan21
This might seem like a dumb question but what do u mean by theory?

Theory is things like learning the key to songs, knowing scales, knowing how chords are formed, etc. A sweep is basically a chord broke up into single notes and played with a sweeping motion on the strings.

I'll give you a short little lesson. ABCDEFG we'll use an A chord. A normal chord is made up of a root, 3rd, and 5th. Basically start at A(root or 1) then count up to C(3rd) and finally E(5th). Those are intervals also. The number of notes in a key. Know your scales and you can do harmonies.

PM me if you need help with stuff
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by bfredder92
Theory is things like learning the key to songs, knowing scales, knowing how chords are formed, etc. A sweep is basically a chord broke up into single notes and played with a sweeping motion on the strings.

I'll give you a short little lesson. ABCDEFG we'll use an A chord. A normal chord is made up of a root, 3rd, and 5th. Basically start at A(root or 1) then count up to C(3rd) and finally E(5th). Those are intervals also. The number of notes in a key. Know your scales and you can do harmonies.

PM me if you need help with stuff

This kinda confusing haha but still thanks.. I hope i learn it eventually
A7X FOR LIFE

Gear:

Gear funds:
Quote by Synfan21
This kinda confusing haha but still thanks.. I hope i learn it eventually
You'll get it. Honestly don't think about it so hard. Forming chords/arpeggios is as easy and counting lol. But yea I was in your place once too so don't worry if you don't get it right away.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
learn the fret board, so you can name any note on any fret without thinking about it, forget learning advance techniques like sweeping and tapping for the time being.

start by learning the 5 minor pentatonic shapes and how you can move these around the freboard to for different keys (hint to make a minor pentatonic shape into a major shape just move it 3 frets up the fretboard)

learn simple techniques-pull offs', hammer ons' , vibrato and bends.

if you are learning a sole break it down into very small phrases.

if you don`t know what to play next, don`t play anything until you do, (i`m talking about seconds not weeks here)
someone onve told me this.
your lead can only be as good as your rythem.
i can play lead what i do is when your playing have rythem with whatever your doing to keep it sounding good