Just like the title says, what's your favorite 5 Watts or less amplifier? Anything from vintage to modern amps, let's talk about it.

Mine's the Gibson GA-5T. What's yours?
Tweed Fender Champ. Nothing beats it IMO although one in good condition is expensive as hell these days.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mine is my '56 K-300.

it's everything i always wanted in a low wattage amp.

edit: this was made by supro btw, so it's just a rebranded supro
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by mmolteratx
Tweed Fender Champ. Nothing beats it IMO although one in good condition is expensive as hell these days.

I tried to find a tweed but everyone wants $1000+ for it. Absurd. It's tough to even find a silverface for less than $500
tweeds are good and all, but i have played the tweed champ circuit and it's a different beast than what was out there at the time. the champ has more edge than my supro, but my supro has it all over 'sweet' chords and haunting vocals department.

you want an old school sound then plug this in as well:

you'll be uncontrollably performing richie valens covers in short order.

i haven't really heard that kinda tone from the champ so much. the supros are more singer songwritter kinda amps.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yea, prices on old low wattage amps are at an all time high. I can find SF Champs for around $350 if I look but there were tons of them just a few years ago. There was a '58 in a local shop here that sold in 2 days at $1200.

EDIT: ^That's what I like the Champ for. It's very raw and mean sounding when turned up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx

I haz one. Cost me $100
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You probably killed a man to get it. So ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Has anyone played the Blackheart HT-5? I hear a ton of good things about that amp
Teh Boogera V5 is all anyone ever wanted in an amp. Period. It has teh s0u1 of \/A1\/35.

Weird, I get SF Champs on my CL for ~$300 routinely.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Teh Boogera V5 is all anyone ever wanted in an amp. Period. It has teh s0u1 of \/A1\/35.

Weird, I get SF Champs on my CL for ~$300 routinely.

Lucky you... I've been chasing one for a while at a decent price.
I have an HT-5, it’s fairly unimpressive and one of these days I’m just going to sell it and use a tube preamp pedal. I do like the Fender champ, but it’s really not worth having if I can’t crank it up.
i'm gonna cheat and pretend that you said "single-ender" instead of "5-watter". Cornell romany plus. for more modern stuff cornford carrera.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not that I've tried many but the vox ac4 tv is a brilliant piece of kit.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by ghiyath
Has anyone played the Blackheart HT-5? I hear a ton of good things about that amp

blackheart or blackstar?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Fender Champ (like a 5F1) running through a decent cab = win
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Fender Champ (like a 5F1) running through a decent cab = win

Is it worth replacing the speaker on a champ reissue? the stock speaker sounds like paper flapping in gail force winds when you crank it up

but i really like the champ too, apart from the speaker. It's very responsive - if there's shortcomings with your guitar playing, you'll hear them. And that, in my opinion, is what makes a great practice amp.. you want a practice amp to show you how much you suck, not make you think that you're better than you are - tough love
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 29, 2010,
Just run it with an extension cab. There aren't many good small speakers to replace it with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Blompcube
Is it worth replacing the speaker on a champ reissue? the stock speaker sounds like paper flapping in gail force winds when you crank it up

Yes but it's still a midget. Far better to plug it into a 2x12 or 4x12. The biggest hassle is matching impedance but replacement output transformers with more taps are pretty cheap and any dickhead with a skeric of knowledge can change them. I run my 5F1 clone into a 1x12 and it rocks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification