hello everyone, ive been reading your forum here and others and i belevie that i
might go with a pci card instead of firewire or a usb .

does anyone have any that they would recommend ?

what else besides the pci card would i need ?
Last edited by notos at Jul 28, 2010,
IMO it goes to how professional you are trying to be

USB - bedroom
Firewire - project studios/demo studios
PCI - legit, dedicated studios

As far as PCI cards go you can't go wrong with Lynx, Apogee. Stay AWAY from M-audio, unless you're not going for as clean as you can get.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Yeah, if you can afford Lynx or Apogee.... My guess is, if you can afford those and are willing to spend that kind of money on recording, you're serious enough that you're probably not asking here for advice.

I have a Delta 1010 and it's awesome. It's a PCI card with the rack-mount breakout box. It has 10 inputs and 10 outputs, with each side being 8 analog and 2 digital. It also has midi. Very clean, the drivers are rock solid, and offer very low latencies.

I'm really not sure what the above poster is getting at when he says to avoid M-Audio, except to say that you *can* do better - if you're willing to pay for something by the likes of Lynx/Apogee.

By comparison - Delta 1010 goes for around $700. The LynxTwo (which only has four ins and four outs) goes for about $2000.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by notos
hello everyone, ive been reading your forum here and others and i belevie that i
might go with a pci card instead of firewire or a usb .

does anyone have any that they would recommend ?

what else besides the pci card would i need ?

This is way too vague buddy. PLEASE be more specific, the more so you are the more we can help you out. The way it's written right now, you need: a rock solid and fast computer, a DAW, mics, cables, monitors, headphones, talent, talented players, a good sounding/ treated room, list goes on and on and on......
A budget would also be nice. How many tracks you plan on recording at the same time?
How many analog ins/ outs do you want? Pres or no pres? ADAT ins/ outs?
Also you need to specify which DAW you prefer using (there's NO right or wrong DAW).

Quote by fastlanestoner
IMO it goes to how professional you are trying to be

USB - bedroom
Firewire - project studios/demo studios
PCI - legit, dedicated studios

As far as PCI cards go you can't go wrong with Lynx, Apogee. Stay AWAY from M-audio, unless you're not going for as clean as you can get.

NO NO NO NO NO and a million times NO. Fine USB is (USUALLY) very "bedroom"-ish but the part where PCI is legit and Firewire is strictly project/ demo studio is absolutely BULLSH*T. You CANNOT break it down that simple. Some very frickin legit sound cards are firewire. And some PCI cards are not legit (you want to tell me that THIS is legit?http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Audiophile-2496-PCI-Digital-Audio-Card?sku=701341&rec=product_sim_A)

This is USB (http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphony-io.php) and you're telling me it's not legit? That's it's bedroom only? Well you must be rich if you can afford this for your bedroom.

USB 1.0 can only carry 1 stereo channel each way
USB 2.0 is TECHNICALLY faster than Firewire, multiple channels each way

Firewire is REALISTICALLY faster than USB 2.0, multiple channels each way and a LOT more stable.

PCI is the FASTEST of all thus offering the lowest latencies followed by firewire then usb 2.0 then usb.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to recommendations:

- (PCI) M-Audio Delta 1010 are amazing bang-for-your-buck wise. Very clean, uncolored sound, expandable, rock solid, 64-bit drivers are reliable and amazing latency (very little). Also Pro Tools M-Powered compatible.

- (PCI) RME HDSP 9652 again, great bang-for-your buck. Rock solid, offers a zero latency mixer, rock solid.

- (Firewire) M-Audio Profire2626 insane amount of ins/outs. Solid, zero-latency mixer, Pro Tools M-Powered Compatible, 2 ADAT in/ out.

- (Firewire) Digidesign 003 average pres, adat in/ out. This one is pretty self explanatory.

- (PCI) Apogee Ensemble system. http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphony-system.php Hey you didn't give a budget.

- (PCI) Digidesign Pro Tools HD (once again you didn't give a budget)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTCorePCIe3/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/96io/

Now I realize that I look like a raging assh0le but I feel that threads where vagueness and incorrect information abound only lead to even more confusion. Which why someone has to stop it in it's tracks and redirect it. I'd love to answer any questions and help out anyone who is confused by all this because I myself was once in that position.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Jul 29, 2010,
If it's just you and your guitar just go with an inexpensive external USB interface. If you need more than 1 or 2 inputs then I recommend firewire or if you have plenty of money THEN PCI maybe. I bought a Line 6 Pod Studio GX1 from Guitar Center for $99 and it works great for my needs and also gives you a great Amp Modeling Software (Pod Farm/Gearbox). I record 1 track at a time and add as many as I want by overdubbing. You just plug your guitar into the interface - plug the interface into your computer through USB and your all set to record in whatever software you'll be using (I recommend Reaper, Sonar or Cubase cause that's what I use).
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 29, 2010,
I agree with miguelito2729 entirely.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

thx for the reply's.

i should had gave more accurate description, im asking about the sound card itself
i know i would need monitors and so on, of course im on a budget $500 range .

@miguelito2729 - i see you have been through this thoroughly very good info .

what would you all considered an ideal computer for recording with pci or any recording for that matter ?

i know mac is standard for pro audio production, but im a pc user myself just like most people .
Turn on the radio and listen to 1000 songs. Can YOU tell which were recorded to a Mac and which were recorded to a PC? Do you believe for a second that there is any correlation to the sound quality of a recording and whether it was done on a Mac or a PC?

Industry standard or not... I don't know and seriously could care less.

Would you notice any difference using Firefox or Microsoft Word on a PC or a Mac? Do you think you'd notice any difference using Cubase or ProTools or Sonar or whatever on a Mac or a PC? Of course not.

What it comes down to is this:

If you want to spend 2.5x the price for a machine that is maybe 15-20% better.... be my guest. In the end, you're the only person who will care... or even notice.

CT

Any off-the-shelf PC you buy today will rock the socks off the PC we used to record our album. In fact, the PC we used to record our album would be almost hard to give away, seeing as it won't run Win7. It was a Celeron 1.7Ghz (single core) machine with 512 RAM and an 80 GB HD and WinXP. That was able to work just fine with our upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio for each song.

CT

i agree with ya, you wouldn't know the difference .

i guess that the most difference being that most studios can interchange files
for more convince reasons and like you said, in the not so long ago past pc
couldn't compete with mac different story now.

i don't think studios will be changing there systems to PC's at anytime soon or ever.
and if you want your stuff redone by a pro it better be in pro tools (mac ) id say.
Quote by notos
the most difference being that most studios can interchange files
for more convince reasons

If I do my songs on Cubase on a PC and take it to a studio that uses Cubase on a Mac, the Mac *will* be able to open my .cpr files, and vice-versa. Same with ProTools.

Quote by notos

i don't think studios will be changing there systems to PC's at anytime soon or ever.
and if you want your stuff redone by a pro it better be in pro tools (mac ) id say.

I'd be willing to be that LOTS of studios are running PC's...

If you go to a pro studio, there is a good chance they're running PT on a Mac, but to say that any studio "better be" is going WAY too far.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Mac hater or a PT hater. I've used PT. I love Cubase. I have never once thought to myself, "gee, I wish I had protools so I could do this better." I believe that Macs are slightly better machines. But I would sooner buy a PC, and then upgrade it in four years with a brand new one, and still be ahead of the game in price against the person who bought a Mac that will be four years old when my second PC is brand new. That, and I fix and maintain my own PCs, so if anything does go south, it's not a big issue.

CT