I currently have a crate fxt120(not sure if thats the exact name) and I'm not satisfied, and to keep up with the other guitarist in my band, i was looking to buy a half stack to match his new marshall.

However, with all the different ones out there, I needed some help deciding whats good and whats not. I play metal, and i use a metal core pedal but i would like to find an amp that i can get a heavy tone out of without the pedal.

Although metal is the primary concern, i would like a relatively versatile amp, as well as a reasonably priced one.

I was looking at the peavey valveking, is it worth checking out?
Last edited by Najrot at Jul 28, 2010,
First things first, what is your budget, and what kinds of metal do you play, and where are you located (state/closest major city)
The Valveking is solid for its price. It won't get you to uber-metal territory, but it should respond well enough to pedals that can help you get there. It is fairly versatile, but not in the sense that it has a boat-load of various independent tones.

What is your budget? You MIGHT be able to get a nicer amp on the used market.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
If there was such a thing as an affordable halfstack that didn't suck... then I would have one in my bedroom right now. *fapfapfapfap*

I guess it also depends on your definition of 'affordable'.

EDIT: Also this is assuming you're talking about a halfstack in the head-and-4x12 sense of the word. There are great 1x12 and 2x12 + tube head setups out there that are cheap.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 29, 2010,
Probably gonna wanna go used if you want something affordable.

Used JCA20 stacks go for about 350 USD with the matching 1x12 cab, but you'll probably want to get a different cab simply because the Eminence cab won't do the JCA20H justice.

So I think you could get the 20H for like 200-225, and maybe a nice 2x12 or 1x12 with celestions for a decent price.

There's also the Bugera, Blackheart, Peavey VK (probably with mods, of course).

And is your other guitarists new Marshall an MG?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
i would say either a bugera or jet city head. jet city can pump out a decent amount of gain, and it should take pedals well.

you can probably find a bugera head that will do metal. i don know wha kind of metal you are talking here. i would imagine some combination of bugera amp plus cab will be the most affordable TUBE amp for metal.
How about a older peavey 5150? I heard they sound amazing and are very loud so you can compete with the other guitarist. I have a 120 watt crate combo too, so I know what your talking about...

Since we are talking about halfstacks... I went a guitar store and they had a 150 watt Ibanez halfstack for $500 to $600, but I noticed that this amp looks a lot smaller compared to marshall, peavey, and other halfstacks. Whats up with that?
Quote by Judas89
How about a older peavey 5150? I heard they sound amazing and are very loud so you can compete with the other guitarist. I have a 120 watt crate combo too, so I know what your talking about...

Since we are talking about halfstacks... I went a guitar store and they had a 150 watt Ibanez halfstack for $500 to $600, but I noticed that this amp looks a lot smaller compared to marshall, peavey, and other halfstacks. Whats up with that?

I think you read 15 watts as 150 watts (I'm actually pretty sure there is no power tube combination that allows for 150 watts. I may be wrong though)... that being said is this what you're talking about? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Tube-Screamer-Series-TSA15H-Amp-Head-and-TSA112C-1x12-Half-Stack?sku=423749
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
MAJOREDIT: Or what ^ said

Because they don't need to be as big as those other stacks, also, might have been a cab with 4x10 speakers you were lookin at. Considerably reduces size thar.
For the VK or 5150 i would not get a peavey cab. Weak speakers. Look on craigslist for a decent used cab
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I think you read 15 watts as 150 watts (I'm actually pretty sure there is no power tube combination that allows for 150 watts. I may be wrong though)... that being said is this what you're talking about? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Tube-Screamer-Series-TSA15H-Amp-Head-and-TSA112C-1x12-Half-Stack?sku=423749

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-TBX150H-Guitar-Amp-Head-104481619-i1172859.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

He said "this amp looks a lot smaller compared to marshall, peavey, and other halfstacks". The TBX is a full size head designed to fit right on top of most 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. I don't think that's what he was talking about...
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
If there was such a thing as an affordable halfstack that didn't suck... then I would have one in my bedroom right now. *fapfapfapfap*

I guess it also depends on your definition of 'affordable'.

EDIT: Also this is assuming you're talking about a halfstack in the head-and-4x12 sense of the word. There are great 1x12 and 2x12 + tube head setups out there that are cheap.

There is, it's called craigslist $350 Peavey Ultra 60 halfstack ftw
Quote by MortifiedLizard
He said "this amp looks a lot smaller compared to marshall, peavey, and other halfstacks". The TBX is a full size head designed to fit right on top of most 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. I don't think that's what he was talking about...

Oh, okay, I'm sorry. I didn't read that part, or I skipped over it or something.

Anyway TS, I play metalcore with my ValveKing. It has a good amount of gain, with the lead boost. I have my lead boost on all the time, and use my compressor when I boost for solos. And that's with the stock preamp tubes. If you put JJ's in there, I'm sure there'd be no problem.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Lawlz. There are plenty of power tubes that will give 150w. 4 6550s famously did it in one of SRV's Dumbles. And the TBX and matching cab are smaller than most half stacks as the cab is very undersized.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Lawlz. There are plenty of power tubes that will give 150w. 4 6550s famously did it in one of SRV's Dumbles. And the TBX and matching cab are smaller than most half stacks as the cab is very undersized.

I stand corrected. Listen to this dude! ^
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
bugera 62... series
peavey 5150/6505 clones
bugera 333 series peavey xxx/jsx cones
boath do metal very well for a reasonable price.
Gear:

Jackson DKMG pro
Schecter omen exreme 7
Tanglewood Che Guivara mk.1
Brunswick electro acoustic

peavey 412ms
some rack stuff
used b52 at-100 stack. theres one at my guitar center for under 700(yes the whole stack including one 412 matching cab) im sure its not the only one in the world.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
yeah the ibanez tbx150 is the amp I'm talking about...
the dimensions for the ibanez tbx 150 (head)is -25 wide x 10.1 height x 10.1 in. for the cabinet-27.6"W x 29.8"H x 13.2"D

The dimensions for a peavey 6505 head is -26.5" W x 10.25" H x 11.875"
For a bugera cabinet it's 30"W x 30"H x 15"D

Not a huge difference, but you can tell when you compare them side to side.

Does anyone know why this is? I think I've seen some Crate halfstacks that look smaller too...
Quote by mmolteratx

Let's not forget Jimmy Page and his infamous Marshall Major.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by MortifiedLizard

So I was right after all. Hmph.

Anyway TS, I've heard that that amp (or any cheap half stack) doesn't sound very good. I've not tried it myself though, and the most important thing is whether or not you like it.

For the cost of getting a head and cab new though, you can get a much better deal used.

I support the opinion of looking for a used 5150.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Used 5150/6505 combo.

It'll blow the shit out of any cheap halfstack.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Let's not forget Jimmy Page and his infamous Marshall Major.

Those are 200w though. And Ritchie Blackmore's modded ones put out like 400 something watts cranked up.

There's the Triple Rec putting out 150w as well for those of you who don't know about teh Dumblez.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Judas89
yeah the ibanez tbx150 is the amp I'm talking about...
the dimensions for the ibanez tbx 150 (head)is -25 wide x 10.1 height x 10.1 in. for the cabinet-27.6"W x 29.8"H x 13.2"D

The dimensions for a peavey 6505 head is -26.5" W x 10.25" H x 11.875"
For a bugera cabinet it's 30"W x 30"H x 15"D

Not a huge difference, but you can tell when you compare them side to side.

Does anyone know why this is? I think I've seen some Crate halfstacks that look smaller too...

To save money. Less wood=less costs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by CL/\SH

And is your other guitarists new Marshall an MG?

naw its a dsl 1000 or something, its pretty good but definetly not my thing and for 1300 i think i could do better, thats a bit out of my price range though haha. Used seems to be making more sense to me, how reliable is craigslist? I guess it all depends on the individual seller huh?
Quote by Najrot
naw its a dsl 1000 or something, its pretty good but definetly not my thing and for 1300 i think i could do better, thats a bit out of my price range though haha. Used seems to be making more sense to me, how reliable is craigslist? I guess it all depends on the individual seller huh?

Yeah, I'm thinking you could get a better stack than that at around 300 dollars less, if you go used.

CL is great, imo. You deal locally, so that you can meet the seller/buyer in person and check out the merchandise before buying, just gotta be willing to make the drive to go meet the person. The only real downside is you have to wait until someone with the piece of gear you want makes a post. The selection is limited but will get you great deals.

If CL doesn't pull through, try Amazon first then eBay. For whatever reason, Amazon sells the same thing but like 15-20% cheaper than GC or MF brand new. I try not to question it, as it makes life easier anywho
Cheap gain in a head format? Your going to need to go solid state buddy.

Look around for Ampeg VH-140 and then listen to Death, Suffocation, and Obituary. The result? Br00t4l
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Crate GX or GT, there's a number of different variations on it, they're all the same circuit, pretty much. They're the less expensive sibling of the Ampeg SS/VH series. When SLM discontinued all of Ampeg's modern amps, they became Crates.

There's a number of Peaveys as well that might be of interest, both tube and SS. Peavey Ultra, VTM and Butchers, as well as XXL and Supreme.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Different speakers require different volumes and it'd be nice to think that they are different for that reason but the real reason is probably more to do with manufacturing concerns of some type.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by CL/\SH
Yeah, I'm thinking you could get a better stack than that at around 300 dollars less, if you go used.

CL is great, imo. You deal locally, so that you can meet the seller/buyer in person and check out the merchandise before buying, just gotta be willing to make the drive to go meet the person. The only real downside is you have to wait until someone with the piece of gear you want makes a post. The selection is limited but will get you great deals.

If CL doesn't pull through, try Amazon first then eBay. For whatever reason, Amazon sells the same thing but like 15-20% cheaper than GC or MF brand new. I try not to question it, as it makes life easier anywho

yea i dont really have a problem with used gear, i got my C1Hellraiser FR for 600 on ebay, nothing wrong with it at all I'll probably just go to guitar center either way to find out what im looking for. thanks for the help
Quote by Najrot
yea i dont really have a problem with used gear, i got my C1Hellraiser FR for 600 on ebay, nothing wrong with it at all I'll probably just go to guitar center either way to find out what im looking for. thanks for the help

if you find what you want exactly after a test run at GC, you could always hit up CL and see if that piece of gear is in an ad. Tod been my strategy several times.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
(I'm actually pretty sure there is no power tube combination that allows for 150 watts. I may be wrong though)

Triple Recto
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Triple_Rectifier/triple_rectifier.html
I saw a used mesa boogie stilleto head and matching cabinet in a local music store for about $1200... The guitar guy was ecstatic about mesa boogie, he had nothing bad to say about it. He highly recommended them.