This is probably a stupid question, but...

I have this finger problem - my fretting ring finger won't bend at the last knuckle. Sucks, but I can make do.

However, I play much more easily on wide, flat fretboards (think 335 types guitars or les paul type necks). Thin, curved necks (your strats and teles for example) make my finger problem worse; the geometry makes it tough to play cleanly.

So my question is this: is it 'bad' to be able to play on just one type of neck? Conversely, is it good training to play on different kind of necks as practice for versatility and finger coordination?

I CAN play cleanly on those curved, thinner necks, but it is much more difficult and involves a lot of wrist torquing.

Anyway, this may be stupid as I said, but curious the thinking on this.
No. Not stupid at all. Not all guys can play on all neck types. You may find one type more comfortable than another. If so, stick with it and make it work for you.
All my fingers work fine but I still prefer wide thin necks, I find classical guitars are extremely comfortable and fun to play. If you're going to mame yourself playing a Strat, just dont play one. You can learn just as much on one neck as if you played 50, it's just whatever is comfortable for you.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Jul 28, 2010,
Doesn't matter. When you play a gig, you'll most likely be playing your own guitar anyways...

Either way, it's probably a + to be able to play all kinds of necks, but still... I have an Ibanez with really thin neck, and it doesn't prevent me from playing my friend's Stratocaster, even if it's thick as hell. Sure I won't be 100% as good, but still.

I say focus on the kind of neck you play with, and that should be enough. Unless you really wanna be the best when you play your buddy's guitar.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

"A man's got to know his own limitations". Clint Eastwood in "Magnum Force".

This is why they sell so many different types of guitars.
is it weird I only feel truly comfortable on my strat?

Ive even tried other strats in store and even they dont feel the same hah.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
just dont play one. You can learn just as much on one neck as if you played 50,
Quote by glenthemann
is it weird I only feel truly comfortable on my strat?

Ive even tried other strats in store and even they dont feel the same hah.

You've just grown used to your guitar. I can't play so well on other necks of guitars that are really similar. It just takes a while to get used to the guitar itself
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr