So my last attempt on this didn't go very far (my suggestions were shot down quickly), what about the bugera 1990? The youtube reviewers claim its very close to the original 900...

And for some of the response last time, the splawn nitro is not a copy of a marshall amp. It is not a quickrod and does not (imho) have the tone of a traditional marshall.

Theres at least 2 youtube big reviewers that praise the 1990 big time, thought i would see what UG thought, hoping to filter out the auto bugera haters though yo.
Guitars
Amps
I still don't understand what you're trying to achieve? If your Nitro and 6505 had voices they'd be singing "anything you can do I can do better" to nearly any other amp you could look at. What kind of tone are you after?
I'm after the 80s Marshall tone. The nitro is not there.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
I'm after the 80s Marshall tone.

get an 80's marshall?
What's your budget? The 1990 is pretty lacking IMO and has less gain that the JCM900. For 80's Marshall tone look at:

JCM800
Carvin X100B
Laney AOR

I still say that your Nitro sould be able to nail the 80's Marshall tone i'd much rather a Nitro over an 800
As was said in your other thread, Peavey VTM. It's designed after "the 80s Marshall sound."

The Bugera 1990 does it well enough, but I'm not a fan. It's got a bucket of treble on top of the JCM 900 "sound," which is already shrill to begin with.
I am filled with nothing but disdain for Bugera's Marshall clones.

A Peavey VTM or Sovtek MiG would be a suitable substitute.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
There's no budget per se, but I was hoping to utilize the new low watt tube genre. I was hoping to avoid spending 1k on an old amp.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Seref
As was said in your other thread, Peavey VTM. It's designed after "the 80s Marshall sound."

The Bugera 1990 does it well enough, but I'm not a fan. It's got a bucket of treble on top of the JCM 900 "sound," which is already shrill to begin with.

I couldn't find the thread today when I looked, bug I'll go find it thanks.
Guitars
Amps
VTMs and MiGs are cheap as hell. Definitely doable for under $300.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
if you want the marshall tone get a marshall amp. you can get an 800 for less then 1000. if you don't want to spend the money that's fine but you're going to be disappointed especially if you don't like the nitro. The budget clones don't sound like marshalls and they don't sound nearly as good as the nitro for everything else.

but again if you want that classic marshall tone, and you're looking at master volume amps...you're already looking in the wrong place.

you won't get that tone at bedroom levels without 2 el34s class a/b and a lot of attenuation. it's simply not possible.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 28, 2010,
Alright I won't make any threads, the nitro does not sound like a Marshall to me but whatev guys, I'll do whaTev by myse
Of.
Guitars
Amps
dude. i have seriously no idea what's going on here.
I'm trying to give you advice and you're just getting pissed.

You want a marshall tone. are you gigging or are you playing in your apt. you already said you have massive volume issues. there are ways it can be done but getting a cheaper marshall-esque amp isn't going to do it.

I don't think the Nitro sounds very marshally either. It's not set up to get those types of tones. But, we need to know what you are hearing when you say marshall tones. What are some songs? Eras? Bands?
Why not get a used Quickrod? You can pull one for around a grand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Even if it's more modern than most Marshall tones, some decent ones that sound Marshally should be found on the Gear 1 setting....right?

the nitro doesn't have gears. its just got hands in the air/balls to the wall.
good lord you ask for opnions and then you get all butt hurt when someone tells you that the bugera sucks?

why even bother asking?

the bugera is a blatant jcm900 rip off. the jcm900s were not even released until the '90s so they're not the best option for '80s music. obviously.