I've been searching for a delay pedal as they give a much fuller and interesting sound that could be built upon and create extremely unique compositions.

Three pedals I've narrowed it down to are. . .

1) Boss DD-20 Giga Delay <--- I've personally tried her and overall like Boss pedals.

2) DigiTech Timebender <--- Seems a little more complex but gives a wider variety of delay options (strum patterns etc.)

3) Line 6 DL4 <--- I personally don't see how it lives up to the other two but hey I've never played with it and I've read many people have liked it.

Money really isn't an issue since it won't be my money..

I'd like to hear what you guys think about these pedals and your opinions.

Thanks.
Giga Delay. Definitely. It's one of the best delay pedals out there. Alternatively, the carbon copy delay pedal is also very good. Digitech are also usually very good so you probably wouldn't be going wrong there... but out of the 3 I'd go with the Giga Delay.
Quote by ciadude2
Giga Delay. Definitely. It's one of the best delay pedals out there. Alternatively, the carbon copy delay pedal is also very good. Digitech are also usually very good so you probably wouldn't be going wrong there... but out of the 3 I'd go with the Giga Delay.

Yes I've heard this... I tried it out over the weekend at a local guitar center and it blew me away with how complex and melodic such a simple guitar riff can become. However I was unaware of the S.o.S. feature and I am very upset I missed out on that.

Any different opinions?
Money isn't a factor?

Eventide Timefactor. Or the Empress Super Delay.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Money isn't a factor?

But really, support what he said, if money isn't a issue, then why stick with the middle grade delays? Go for the big thing.
Wait for the Strymon ElCapistan to come out, it will blow all those three delays out of the water.

But out of those 3, I like the Digitech the best
There is also the T.C. Electronic Nova Delay.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Eventide Timefactor, though it's really expensive.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Callmar
Boss RE 20?

I tried that pedal as well. It just didn't seem to have enough delay power as the DD-20. Thats just my opinion though.

Quote by LaidBack
Money isn't a factor?

No money is not a factor, although naturally the cheaper it is the less work I have to do. The ET seems like a solid pedal although it seems to be generally the same product although that is my uneducated opinion and I will be sure to try it out when I can.

Quote by Sguit

But really, support what he said, if money isn't a issue, then why stick with the middle grade delays? Go for the big thing.
Wait for the Strymon ElCapistan to come out, it will blow all those three delays out of the water.

But out of those 3, I like the Digitech the best

I looked up the Strymon on youtube and found a demo and it does have a beautiful sound, although it seems it has a very versatile TAPE delay and thats about it. Also, as far as I know, it does not have the option of changing the rythmic value of the delay as simply as some of these other pedals do. Although I do have to say the sound is much better in comparison. The only problem is that I called local stores and none of them carry it, even guitarcenter which is surprising.

Also why the DigiTech? Sure the strumming pattern customization is an excellent feature but it seems that is the only thing is has that tops the DD-20.

Quote by LaidBack
There is also the T.C. Electronic Nova Delay.

This pedal is just as good as the Boss DD-20 and has grown on me, I really want to check it out and compare the two... This pedal is beautiful and 9 presets is more than anyone could dream of.

Quote by Section 5
Eventide Timefactor, though it's really expensive.

As I said before, I think its just a similar product with the same capabilities just more expensive. I will still check it out though.

Quote by LolCatGuitar
Vox JS Time Machine, I could not stand for any other pedal, it can just do so much, and it's analog! Get it!

Hmm. This pedal, although it is named after Satch, just doesn't seem at the same level of the other ones. It might be good for Joe Sat because he has developed his dream-like tone based on this delay but I would like one where I can build my own tone. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Quote by wilmearz
2 things: the time machine is a digital delay with analog moddeling (just to tell you)

AND

Out of the 3 pedals you have mentioned the time bender is by FAR the most appropriate for "create extremely unique compositions". Whether it is the best is debatable.

As said above, the tc electronic nova delay is worth looking at but its quite a straight foreward if excellent sounding delay. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3MQvetv1A

Again as above if money isnt an issue - timefactor, super delay or a rack unit?

edit: and actually i LOVED the roland space echo when i tried it, though it cant do all that some of the more expensive delays can, it sounds fantastic and can definately manke huge soundscapes.

Thanks you, the Nova Delay is definitely a pedal I am going to check out. However one thing that could steer me away from it is if it has a Sound on Sound (recording and play-back) function. This is a major deciding factor I believe.

Also, yet again, why the DigiTech? The only thing it has over the DD-20 is customizable delay patterns, which is nice though.

Thanks again everyone. The more help the better.
I love my Nova Delay.

/biased.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I love my Nova Delay.

/biased.

I'm definitely going to consider it.

Just a question, how much is the stompbox/foot pedal for the presets??
(If there is one at all.)
Thanks you, the Nova Delay is definitely a pedal I am going to check out. However one thing that could steer me away from it is if it has a Sound on Sound (recording and play-back) function. This is a major deciding factor I believe.

Also, yet again, why the DigiTech? The only thing it has over the DD-20 is customizable delay patterns, which is nice though.

Thanks again everyone. The more help the better.

That function is supposed to be like a loop that you create & then record another riff & the two get dubbed one over the other? lol I didn't understand that part, ignore my dullness

I prefer the nova delay, tried it out & like it, haven't tried the rest above yet. No idea about the footpedal, i don't think there is one, atleast I havent heard of it, AFAIK the nova has switches on it to change presets
Quote by ILikeGoodMusic
I'm definitely going to consider it.

Just a question, how much is the stompbox/foot pedal for the presets??
(If there is one at all.)

Nothing. It is all built in.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Timefactor and Superdelay are really, really good delays. If you want something analog they're not the way to go though. The Strymon is good too, but like you said, it does tape echo very well and that's about it.
Thank you all. Weimearz you've been a big help and it's definetely between the DD20 and the nova delay. I think I'm going to exclude the DigiTech. Although it seems to have many cool features my past experience with DigiTech pedals and I'm hesitant to buy one again.
Quote by wilmearz
I'll try and answer your questions! My main reason for buying the nova delay was the 9 presets. i didnt want anything particually fancy and the nova delivers studio quality repeats and enough presets to emulate u2 stuff in a reasonably priced package. Side by side with my old boss dd-7 (which i imagine sounds very similar to the dd-20) the nova was much better sounding than the boss and it has more presets. Again im biased as i own one! (unless you want a looper i think the nova beats the boss)

Some vids for you to see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bZsXmKWEA
- demo of timebender, which does do some crazy stuff! - infinate repeats, octaveing repeats - its pretty cool and like the dd-20 has 5 presets (ish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKp47EGJBBw - shows a few that yo are considering.

Could you explain what you mean about a sound on sound function? If you mean a looper the nova doesnt have one.

RE 20 isnt meant for its power, its for SOUND! its an analogue delay so that means less power and short delay times but warmth in the delay - i dont think you are looking for an analogue delay though!

The satch delay is more like a boss DD-7 and though i have heard it does sound very good, its quite basic compared to others in its price range.

The Timefactor is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than you give it credit for! It is the most powerfull delay pedal you can buy by some margin. The empress is also fantastic just a different thing) You need to research it a bit more i think! start with a demo i guess! (It has UNLIMITED presets with midi for one thing, two seperate delays at the same time, all its functions can be controlled via expression pedal... tbh it may be overkill for you)edit: and its sound quality is pretty much unrivaled unless you get into rack mount delays)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOLnTT0mh0&feature=related

You have been such a big help, and I want to thank you again. Yes the Timefactor does seem like a much more versatile and and precise pedal... However I believe you are correct again by saying it might be overkill and too much. Although I agree with many point you've given it's about a three-way tie between the DD-20, Timebender(although I'm hesitant about this one) and the Nova however the DD-20 might win me over instead of the Nova because of it's looping capabilities. 9 presets is a lot, but I'm not sure I'll need that many and even though the looping capability is small it's still there and can be used as a decent and functional loop pedal.

Thanks again guys.
how much versatility do you need? personally im a huge fan of the T-rex replica, except its price.
Out of all of these...

Strymon > Superdelay > Timefactor > Timebender > DL4 > Nova Delay > DD-20 IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by wilmearz

RE 20 isnt meant for its power, its for SOUND! its an analogue delay so that means less power and short delay times but warmth in the delay - i dont think you are looking for an analogue delay though!

The RE-20 is digital

But TS, now it all comes down to how much you want to much and how much features you want. And about the strymon, you also the Brigadier, wich is another of their delay that has subdivisions and othedr features