Page 1 of 2
I'm running through a Marshall JCM600 and a "Death Metal Distortion Pedal" and a King Vox Wah and play power/neoclassical metal such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnNOkjnLVI

-edit: Something like this would also be really awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pstmzp5WRA8

EDIT: I may be planning on buying a new amp such as a Line 6 Flextone III that someone has suggested or maybe something else, so my question is slightly different now. See latest post(s), thanks!

The tone I get with my LTD AL-600 pink sawtooth (EMG HZ-4) isn't bad; a bit too treble-y, but otherwise fairly satisfying.

I'm gonna be getting a Jackson RR5 soon which will either come with JB/Jazz or JB/JB depending on which one I get.

My question is: do I have enough of a setup that I can buy maybe the SH-5 and SH-1 to put in the RR5 or will that not make much a difference from the JB/Jazz? The amp was my dad's old amp, and my friend gave me the pedal... I actually have no idea if this equipment is anywhere near good for the styles I'm going for XD

Thanks.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 29, 2010,
You could if you wanted, but through a Death Metal I dont think you'd hear a lot of difference.
Yeah it does seem to thin out my tone and make it sound a bit generic. Do you think it would be wise to invest in a better pedal(board)?

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why are you worrying about pickups when you don't even own the guitar yet?

I dunno, I've just heard that they are decent pickups but that there are better ones suited toward the style I want to aim for.
Yeah, the pedal is your problem. Look into a decent distortion pedal first before you go and change pickups. Look into the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion, has an ungodly amount of gain, and it's very usable gain too. Or, you can go big and get a Wrampler Triple wreck.
the JB/Jazz are actually some of the better passive pickups for metal my friend... i wouldnt be looking at changing those, especially not until you get the guitar and try them out for yourselves.

but i would highly suggest you invest in a different pedal. that will make a bigger difference in terms of sound. my favourite is the metal muff (after you learn how to use it - give it 6 months to REALLY figure it out [active controls on it are a pain at first]). if not that, invest in a good overdrive.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't let hype blind you. See how you like it first. Wait a week or two, get to know your new guitar, and then make an informed decision.

Personally, investment in a new amp setup where you're not getting your distortion from a subpar pedal is the best way to go, I think.

Thanks for the advice.

How much would a new decent amp for my style be you think? My friend who plays some similar things as me uses a Line6 and seems to really like it. I just have no clue where to start lol.

Do you think getting a new amp rather than a new nicer pedalboard would be a better investment?

Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, the pedal is your problem. Look into a decent distortion pedal first before you go and change pickups. Look into the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion, has an ungodly amount of gain, and it's very usable gain too. Or, you can go big and get a Wrampler Triple wreck.

Do you think with my current amp if I got a relatively nice pedal I could get some decent tone? I'm not sure what people think of the JCM600.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Yeah it does seem to thin out my tone and make it sound a bit generic. Do you think it would be wise to invest in a better pedal(board)?

I dunno, I've just heard that they are decent pickups but that there are better ones suited toward the style I want to aim for.

I'd look into an overdrive pedal over a distortion pedal if my assumption about the JCM600 being a tube amp is correct.

Pickups are all about tweaking the tone already created by the amp. You'll want to play the guitar with your amp first, and then decide if your tone needs tweaking to the extent of new pickups.

If you do end up wanting to switch pups, might I suggest the Dimarzio Evo or D Sonic in the bridge with a Breed in the neck.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336
the JB/Jazz are actually some of the better passive pickups for metal my friend... i wouldnt be looking at changing those, especially not until you get the guitar and try them out for yourselves.

but i would highly suggest you invest in a different pedal. that will make a bigger difference in terms of sound. my favourite is the metal muff (after you learn how to use it - give it 6 months to REALLY figure it out [active controls on it are a pain at first]). if not that, invest in a good overdrive.

About the JB actually, on the 2008 model of the RR5 the JB is in both the bridge and the neck. How would a JB sound in the neck instead of the Jazz?
Quote by fixationdarknes
Thanks for the advice.

How much would a new decent amp for my style be you think? My friend who plays some similar things as me uses a Line6 and seems to really like it. I just have no clue where to start lol.

Do you think getting a new amp rather than a new nicer pedalboard would be a better investment?

Do you think with my current amp if I got a relatively nice pedal I could get some decent tone? I'm not sure what people think of the JCM600.

Sure, I know a better pedal will get you a better tone. If super expensive passive pickups can get me better tone than active EMG's, then a distortion pedal can give you better tone. It would be best if you could use the amp distortion and boost it using a OD pedal to get it into the range you want.

This is what you need to do, take your amp, and your guitar, and go to Guitar Center, tell them your looking for a good distortion pedal for your set up, so they understand why you brought your rig, and try out every pedal you can find through your rig. That's the only real best way to do it. I would get there early in the morning, and go all day, finding your tone does and should take a lot of time.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You know, I've always seen that it has a JB in the neck, and I'm not sure how that is, because there is no JB neck model, on the Duncan website.

As far as amps, it all really depends on how much you're willing to spend and what tones you're looking for.

Does it make a difference if on the 2008 RR5 it is two TB-4's rather than SH-4's? Even though the RR5 is hardtail?

Also, I suppose I'm willing to spend $300-400 (is that enough money to get a decent used amp?). I'm looking to achieve a tone close to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnNOkjnLVI
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sure, I know a better pedal will get you a better tone. If super expensive passive pickups can get me better tone than active EMG's, then a distortion pedal can give you better tone. It would be best if you could use the amp distortion and boost it using a OD pedal to get it into the range you want.

This is what you need to do, take your amp, and your guitar, and go to Guitar Center, tell them your looking for a good distortion pedal for your set up, so they understand why you brought your rig, and try out every pedal you can find through your rig. That's the only real best way to do it. I would get there early in the morning, and go all day, finding your tone does and should take a lot of time.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that once I get my guitar. Do you think it would be wiser to go all out on the pedalboard in expense or to buy a decent amp and a decent pedal? Or is the amp I am using decent enough? I don't know if it seems that suited toward metal, more a classic rock-sounding thing; it was my dad's.
Its pretty weird that it's TB-4, yeah. With a tune-o-matic, that's technically the wrong string spacing.

3-400 is enough to get a used Line 6 Flextone III, which I think is a great modeling amp. It's arguably better than your current setup. See if you can find one to try out. My friend bought one for 250.

Your current amp is definitely voiced wrong for what you play.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Its pretty weird that it's TB-4, yeah. With a tune-o-matic, that's technically the wrong string spacing.

3-400 is enough to get a used Line 6 Flextone III, which I think is a great modeling amp. It's arguably better than your current setup. See if you can find one to try out. My friend bought one for 250.

Your current amp is definitely voiced wrong for what you play.

Hm, sounds good. So if I spent around 300-ish on the amp, do you think about 100 would suffice for a decent pedalboard? Or would I even still need a pedal with a Line 6 Flextone III?

Sorry I'm just absolutely a noob at all of this lol. I'm not a beginner to playing the guitar by the way just for the record, but I've never paid attention to gear and have always just used what I had available. But now I think it's time I do to really sound the way I want XD
Sorry to be annoying, but I am in hasty need of feedback because I need to be making my decision on which guitar to buy very soon.

If I switched to a Line 6 Flextone III or something similar like suggested, would it then make sense to buy new pickups (if I decided I wanted to?) or would the pickups still not make that big a difference?

Thanks.
i would buy 1 peice of a gear at a time and then add to it if you need something

if the line 6 suddenly needs more gain, then buy a new distortion pedal

like that.

if you are not skilled at playing like me, its more like LERN2PLAY before buying things

but i like buying things
New pedal, NAO. If not the metal muff, then a MI Audio Crunch Box or the Fulltonr OCD.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by iampeter
i would buy 1 peice of a gear at a time and then add to it if you need something

if the line 6 suddenly needs more gain, then buy a new distortion pedal

like that.

if you are not skilled at playing like me, its more like LERN2PLAY before buying things

but i like buying things

Thanks for the advice

Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, again, the RR5 has good pickups.

And I don't think you'll need a normal pedalboard. Just get a Line 6 FBV express board to control the Flextone's channels, and you'd be set.

Hm, well... the thing is that with the RR5 I might be buying, there is apparently two TB-4 JB pickups rather than the JB/Jazz that comes with the newest editions of the guitar. So I'm not sure if I'd end up changing pickups anyway - would a JB even sound good in the neck?

So the Line 6 you think will give me enough gain to play power metal/neoclassical type stuff like the Galneryus example I linked in my first post?

Thanks guys.
i would think so, flextone has some high gain models and stuff.

it all depends on how well you can dial in a sound i think

i would maybe start with the mesa boogie/SLO/bogner/JCM2000 models to hunt for tone

i read that Syu uses a wah effect a lot, so maybe you might need one of those

i know at the intro to everlasting thers a wah, but i only learned that after looking at the partial tabs

i can't really tell when a wah comes in tho cause i suck
Last edited by iampeter at Jul 29, 2010,
okay, listen carefully man. your marshall may not have the voicing you want on its own, but if you're fine with the clean sound of it, dont go around buying a new amp. distortion pedals are made to change the sound of the amp. overdrive pedals will boost it (push it to the next level, more gain) while keeping the voicing the same.

you DONT need to spend the money when you have a perfectly fine amp. how do i know? i have a marshall amp. i have a metal muff. i dont like the sounding british overdrive, but with my metal muff, i get that american sounding distortion i was craving (think mesa boogie - its a recto clone pedal basically). i've used my pedal on well over 50 amps, and not one has sounded bad. they all went from whatever they were, to this hard hitting american sounding bliss. i've even used it on things like a Fender Princeton and Vox ac15. ALL sounded different.

if you still want to spend the money, just make sure you actually try out what we're suggesting here. PLEASE, buy a pedal, and if you dont like it, just return it and then shop for a new amp. then actually try out all the amps in your price range, and a few just outside it to see what you like. never go by what we say on here.
Thanks guys.

Peter, yeah I use a wah haha. He definitely makes pretty frequent use of it. I'll for sure go try out a bunch of amps and pedals.

Thanks User_Name336. I will try out the pedals and if I'm not satisfied I'll look into some amps.

Also, what is the difference between an overdrive pedal and a distortion pedal? Which one should I be looking into? From what I'm reading Metal Muff is a dist pedal.
I tried the Flex III and I don't think it has any REALLY high-gain models. It's got a Dual Rec and Soldano SLO model but that's as heavy as it gets. Try the Line 6 HD147 or Vetta. They have models of the Peavey 5150, Bogner Uberschall, Engls etc. You won't need pedals for any of the Line 6 modellers. Just get the FBV footboard.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Just sayin'. If you're too accustomed to the ridiculous amount of gain that comes out of the Digitech Death Metal, you might be a bit underwhelmed with the Flextone's amount of gain on tap.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Just sayin'. If you're too accustomed to the ridiculous amount of gain that comes out of the Digitech Death Metal, you might be a bit underwhelmed with the Flextone's amount of gain on tap.

Well, I definitely notice that the Digitech DMetal puts out lots of distortion (making it sound thin and generic and treble-y), but I only use it because my other choice would mean using the natural distortion of the amp which isn't exactly very metal-ish lol.
never buy anything that has the word metal on it. especially if youre playing through an amp like that. also, as said before pickups wont matter much with that pedal. get a nice od or something like tubescreamer or one of the blackstar pedals first.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
definitely, especially if you got a blackstar pedal since they are tube pedals, and youll notice alot more difference from tube signal path than solid state. id seriously look into a blackstar pedal if i were you or something similar, and if it isnt enough get something like a tubescreamer as a solo boost.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Hm, seems cool, I wonder if that is the right style for me though. I'm looking for something similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hL-iO86vdI or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnNOkjnLVI which doesn't seem like what I think of when I think of "heavy metal" and the deep heavy tightness I heard in that video. What do you think?
Don't get a flextone.
I remember having to use one in a band I was in at some band practices when I CBF taking my Marshall.
Shit was TERRIBLE.
Even through the house P.A so its not like I was pushing the speaker or anything to create such a terrible muddy disgusting tone.
It was just a shit amp.
Maybe okay for practice at home.
Not in a bad situation.
It just did not cut at all.

Rocking JB/Jazz In my paul copy and a JB in the bridge of my LTD.
Good tones.

Get a boost pedal and an eq or something.
Get a TS-7 and mod it, or buy a TS-9, Maxon OD808 or Bad monkey.
I am rocking a bad monkey at the moment and it adds SO MUCH to my tone its ****ing ridiculous.
I didn't have it in this last band prac and my tone just wasn't there.

Get a nice/decent boost and boost that 600.
Nothing really.
Just what suits my band.
Which is pretty generic core stuff.

Although I do indulge in teh shred a lot, and incorporate fast runs and sweeps into our music.

With the boost my tone is nice and tight, enough gain for anything I'd ever need(with my amps gain on 3), Cuts through the mix well, not flubby on palms.
The boost just adds so so so much to it.
I really don't see how I was happy with out it now.

I can have nice smooth lead tones with my neck pup and more cutting leads with bridge.

DEFINITELY get a boost before you buy a new amp.
Buy one second hand.
If you don't dig it sell it.
Simple as that, you probably won't even lose ANY money if you get a nice deal on the boost.
Page 1 of 2