Me and a buddy just got together tonight and threw this together, so don't judge it part by part, but as a whole song

I'm looking for someone that's pro with drum tracking to make some real drums to go with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlGBIjoERM

You can't know what I know
and still believe in something else.
You can't know what I know
and understand the rest

Save me
Can you Save me

Now that you're listening
what do you hear?
Your thoughts are not missing
I want to go there baby
and figure out the rest

So stay with me
Stay with me
Can you stay with me
Can you stay with me
Last edited by iduno871 at Aug 1, 2010,
Screw recording proper drums!! This needs a huge arrangement, basically a monster Coldplay-like thing; piano, strings, synth pads, the works. Seriously, this song has awsome potential and with a good arrangement/recording it will be as awesome as it can be.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Haha I appreciate that!

Would you happen to know anyone who'd contribute to the cause?
Quote by iduno871
Would you happen to know anyone who'd contribute to the cause?

Not if you're still looking to just get live-recorded drums on there. If you intend to go over the top, which I think the song would benefit from, then I'd be glad to help when I can (I'm on vacation right now so I have no gear to work with). I might take the track in a direction you wouldn't consider, or even like, but that's how it is with internet collaboration. Let me know if you want me to take a stab at it.

- Huey Lewis & the News
Sounds good dude. The melody is very catchy, although if you hadn't written down the lyrics I wouldn't have known what you were saying. I would like to hear the vocals come way up in the mix though. I think the songs needs a good hook though, so far everything just sounds like one big verse. Restating again. Great vocals. Just bring them up in the mix. The solo is really badass btw.

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344462

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Thanks for the input! We're going to redo the vocals, when brought up in the mix they sound really weak so I brought them down just to keep the idea.

Will also be working on a nice change to make a hook in the song and keep it from getting stale.
Quote by iduno871
I'm always open for new ideas if you want to play with it. I reupped it with a bit better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4T1EO7rTko

I wouldn't necessarily agree that that was better quality. Masking the vocals almost completely like that doesn't do the tune any favors. It also makes it hard to arrange anything based on the recording since it's hard to hear what the vocals are actually doing. A bridge section wouldn't hurt either but I think that careful use of additional instruments and possibly backing vocals will cause enough of a lift to really make the chorus section stand out.

- Huey Lewis & the News
I'd love to hear what someone could do with these ideas...I can write and play guitar no problem...I don't know how to do all the other stuff in production though.
Quote by iduno871
I'd love to hear what someone could do with these ideas...I can write and play guitar no problem...I don't know how to do all the other stuff in production though.

I have thrown together an arrangement this afternoon that's the kind of thing I mentioned above (basically everything but the kitchen sink). I still have to add the vocals, as an instrumental it doesn't make as much sense, and I hope I can do that tomorrow. It's only intro/verse/chorus so that you'll get the idea, it's not a full song. If you like what I've done I'll send you the MIDI files and you can work on it from there.

- Huey Lewis & the News
OK, so this is the arrangement I threw together yesterday (Sunday). It took about 3 hours in total, including the vocals I recorded today. About the vocals they positively suck, this tune is just out of my comfort zone in too many places, and that's why it sounds like crap; I really can't sing the melody properly. Anyway, the aim was for something radio friendly that you'd recognize right away, that's why I added the little melody hook, and a more convincing chorus section.

The mix itself is a quick job and it's a bit harsh but I think it's good enough to get the general idea. Be advised that this is a pretty serious re-working of the original demo, I've taken some voicing liberties and I've added a second chorus vocal part to tie the verse and chorus together, so be prepared to be taken aback. Give it a few listens to acquaint yourself with the new style and see if it's something that you think fits the original idea.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ebon00/music/all/play876433

I have the basic arrangement in Guitar Pro 4 format as well as an exported MIDI (that I worked with in Pro Tools) if you want to keep working on this.

- Huey Lewis & the News
iduno871: That sounds really good, real solid man. Just try and enunciate more clearly on the lyrics, the melody in the chorus sounds really good just make sure we can hear what you're saying.

ebon00: wow, that was a pretty legit arrangement. dont know im im totally sold on the chorus, but the intros and verses were out of this world.
Quote by Fravashis
ebon00: wow, that was a pretty legit arrangement. dont know im im totally sold on the chorus, but the intros and verses were out of this world.

Thanks. I think the chorus suffers in my version because I can't hit the original vocal line, it's out of my range. I recorded it in falsetto but bringing that up in the mix was WEAK.

- Huey Lewis & the News