http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOgqpN46x9w

Theres a video of the sound I'm trying to get, at the moment I have a really cheap acoustic Fender I'm practicing on but I'd like to move into electric guitar. Not a huge fan of metal or rock (not really a fan at all to be honest). Popular 90s bands like Sugar Ray, Blink 182, etc is what I'm going for.

My budget is about $800-1100 (sorry not 1200, mistake in title) for the guitar itself, and I can do up to $600 for the amp. What should I get?

Btw I love this "Pink Floyd Style Jam" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IVuZtL9VE) , how do you make a guitar sing like that!?

Thanks.
Last edited by MrCPP at Jul 29, 2010,
American Standard Strat
HSS and I think you'll be pretty much fine.

As for the amp, hot rod delux?
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
used american fender strat hss. perfect for what you need. heck, a regular strat would do too
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Are Epiphone Les Paul Standard's not good for what I'm going after? I really -love- the design of it, but if the sound cant produce clean tones I guess that's a bad choice?
Quote by MrCPP
Are Epiphone Les Paul Standard's not good for what I'm going after? I really -love- the design of it, but if the sound cant produce clean tones I guess that's a bad choice?

You could, but for that price range I'd get a Gibson studio. Better hardware
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
a gibson studio would be a good chice. also a standard sg would be good
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Yeah I checked on their website but theres no Gibson in my price range unfortunately, I'd have to settle for their Epiphones, those are a few hundred dollars cheaper (trying to buy everything including amp, delay/reverb, case, accessories within $2000).

Would I notice a difference between a Standard and a Studio?
I came into this thread thinking you should get a strat. So, I say get an American made Strat, and maybe a good fender amp.

EDIT! How could I forget about PRS? Dude, definitely check out their SE series. They might not look like much, but they're THE BEST quality guitars in their price range.
Last edited by whatadrag at Jul 29, 2010,
a prs hollowbody se would be tasty for what you want too
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by MrCPP
Yeah I checked on their website but theres no Gibson in my price range unfortunately, I'd have to settle for their Epiphones, those are a few hundred dollars cheaper (trying to buy everything including amp, delay/reverb, case, accessories within $2000).

Would I notice a difference between a Standard and a Studio?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-100010154-i1149139.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-430789-i1538502.gc

this is American dollars right?
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by diofan88
Oh I didnt check guitarcenter, there's GC stores all over NY I can probably check out! Thanks for the links. So a Studio is better is than a Standard? Not sure why on the gibson.com website Standard's all the hype?

@above: will check out the fenders and prs, thanks!
Quote by MrCPP
Oh I didnt check guitarcenter, there's GC stores all over NY I can probably check out! Thanks for the links. So a Studio is better is than a Standard? Not sure why on the gibson.com website Standard's all the hype?

Better electronics, and pick ups.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by MrCPP

A "studio" guitar is usually all of the playability with less effort put into its looks. Still plays awesome, doesn't look as awesome.
gibson sg standard or classic.
fender strat
fender 72 tele deluxe.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Not quite. If you think a Studio is so much cheaper just because they took the binding off, you're sorely mislead and mistaken. The wood is noticably lower grade across the board - that is the real reason the Studio is significantly cheaper.
It's kind of backwards because no serious recording artist would use a Studio in the studio, but they would use it on stage. Conversely it makes more sense to save your better guitars for the studio and rather than risk their saftey taking them touring.

Anyway, when I think of pop-rock (Which really are the examples OP mentioned - there's nothing ''indie'' there), I think of the Telecaster Deluxe. A couple of bright-toned humbuckers in a balanced body will be the ticket.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.