Recently got a 2x12 cab made by Avatar to accompany my Egnater Rebel 30 that I also got recently. I wanted to do something a bit different than just two vintage 30s, so I put have a vintage 30 and a g12h30. From my knowledge..on a technical level...a cab with two speakers at different wattages, such as mine, the total wattage is not as simple as adding the two wattages together. It is simply, double the wattage of the lowest speaker. So, for my cab, the vintage 30 is rated at 60watts and the g12h30 at 30watts..there double the wattage of the g12. Therefore, my cab is technically rated at 60watts.

However, how applicable is this in real terms. I know alot of things that seem to hold true on paper, but the result is different when applied. One reason I went the head/cab route is because I can attain different heads in the future and therefore have more versatility in my sound...simply switch heads..But with only 60watts to work with...there isn't really much hope for me to possibly get a JCM900 in the future (or a Bugera 1990) etc. I'd pretty much be limited to the micro head world.

Now..I'm not saying I NEED 100w of power...I really don't...30w is plenty for me. But many of the amps I'd look to get in the future are simply rated at 50w+ levels.

So...if my cab were YOUR cab...what would be the max wattage head you'd run through it..and feel completely safe not to blow a speaker?
to run safely i think its the wattage of the amp x1.5 minimum cause tube amps can put out more than the measured wattage after being overdriven
I would ask myself what was more important:

Having a unique cabinet, or being able use this cabinet for anything and everything I throw at it.

Personally, having two vintage 30's and a 120w cab would completely outweigh having a "weaker" cab that sounds a tiny bit different.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
I would ask myself what was more important:

Having a unique cabinet, or being able use this cabinet for anything and everything I throw at it.

Personally, having two vintage 30's and a 120w cab would completely outweigh having a "weaker" cab that sounds a tiny bit different.

This is really a good point. At the time ...I figured that I'd never need anything over 60 watts..which I really don't but. But, I have come to realize that certain amps that I'd look to attain in the future are simply rated at wattages higher than 60watts...in the 100-120w range.

I don't think it would be difficult for me to get another vintage 30 and just swap the g12?
just grab a higher wattage speaker later if you need to.
i've got a 212 set up for 200w
you can get 150 watt speakers if you need to.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
why would you even replace a vintage 30. Those are amazing speakers, there is a reason why companies like mesa, orange, and bogner use vintage 30's and it is because they are one of the best out there. I just can't phathom why someone would tamper with a 2x12 like that. I would kill to have that 2x12 avatar cab because im a dirt poor college student right now.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
why would you even replace a vintage 30. Those are amazing speakers, there is a reason why companies like mesa, orange, and bogner use vintage 30's and it is because they are one of the best out there. I just can't phathom why someone would tamper with a 2x12 like that. I would kill to have that 2x12 avatar cab because im a dirt poor college student right now.

I think you confused what I said. Avatar MADE the cab for me with 1 vintage 30 and 1 g12h30...at the advice of some...because at the time I was having the cab built for the egnater rebel 30. Now that I'm thinking into the future (and I'm talking atleast a year)...I realize most other amps that I'd like to attain are rated higher than 60 watts..

So if I were to change a speaker in the cab it would be to take the g12h30 that is currently in there and put in another vintage 30..and therefore have 2 vintage 30s...and be rated for 120watts.
Last edited by burritosaregood at Jul 29, 2010,
oh ok yeah i get ya. Yeah that should work and it would be rated at 120w as long as everything is wired the right way.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88

V30s are far from the be all end all speaker for most. They're a great all around speaker but there are dozens I'd rather have.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
well if you look at my gear and my picture you can tell im pretty metal, so as far as metal goes they are pretty much the standard speaker.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
well if you look at my gear and my picture you can tell im pretty metal, so as far as metal goes they are pretty much the standard speaker.

hurr well. alright then.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer

There are still several speakers I'd rather have when playing metal. EVMs, Eminence Wizard, Celestion 65s, even Celestion Golds. Lots of metal guys use the EVMs, Zakk Wylde for one. Zakk's a pretty bad bench mark for EVM tone though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yea if your playing a marshall head your probably not going to use v30s. They are more matched of heads like rectifiers, uberschalls, rockerverbs, or 6505's. i get what your saying though. I f i wanted a heavier tone i would go with a rivera cab with an eminence or celestion 65's.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
sometimes i wonder if the people that push V30's as being 'the best guitar speaker' have ever actually played through, or heard their ear piercing upper mid qualities. as said before, there are many speakers i would choose before a V30.