Poll: Which is more beneficial to learn?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more beneficial to learn?
Value of Work
32 55%
Value of Self-control
26 45%
Voters: 58.
This summer i've been sitting around in my house, surviving on my $70 a week paycheck. I've literally sat in my room all day and not left my house unless necessary (food, work, etc.). Now I definitely had enough time on my hands to get an extra job or two, which would give me enough money to escape my room and use my car to find things to do, along with keeping busy. But instead i've unknowingly been testing my skills when it comes to surviving on small bits of money.

I don't really ask my parents for anything and go to walmart and buy cheap things to eat, like a Totinos pizza + 2 yogurts + a gatorade, which is only about 3 bucks and a pretty filling lunch. I've also just bought a big bag of the cheapest tortilla chips they have and some cheese or tortillas and make nachos or quesadillas, which is about 4 bucks for a decent quantity of food.

So I got to thinking while in the shower the other day about what would be the better lesson overall;

the value of work: getting multiple jobs and earning enough money to basically get all you need and plenty of stuff that you don't need as well,

or

the value of self-control: keeping just 1 job and earning a little bit of money to bargain and conserve as much money as you can while still getting all that you need.

Which option would be the most valuable lesson to learn?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
work. its a challenge having money and not over-spending on selfish needs
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I think self-control, since that may transfer over even if you start making more money. frivolously spending everything that comes your way isn't a good habit to form, in this poor person's opinion.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jul 29, 2010,
I have to go with work. Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about; I've never worked for anything in my life.
Both. Get the extra job and commit to saving half your income for future use (at least a year away, and make sure you don't take anything out of it until your predetermined goal is met).
Both. Get more jobs, but limit yourself to $70 a week in spending.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
I'd say work. It's better to have too much money, than too little money. Financial flexibility would relieve a lot of stress I'm sure.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I SO want to vote the value of self control, but I it is difficult because they are no where close to being mutually exclusive. If it were something closer to 'working to have spending money' and 'working to have financial security', then I would for sure vote for the latter.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I'd say self-control. Living within your means is something a lot of people are shit-awful at(see levels of personal debt wherever you live), and beuing in debt causes huge amounts of stress(both personal and within relationships).
Work, if you can't work for anything there's nothing to have self control over
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
probably work, if you're barely making enough to support yourself with basic needs you don't have any other choice.
Greatest way to phrase "I'm too lazy to get a second job" ever.

(I'm totally in the same boat as you, this economy sucks eh?)
Quote by ub3r_bassist666
Both. Get more jobs, but limit yourself to $70 a week in spending.

That would take a lot of discipline. But if you can do it, this is a great idea.
I think you've got a deluded idea of self-control. It most certainly isn't staying in your room all day, living of cheap, processed food.
I'd say do something else, do anything else.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
If you're getting by okay on what you have, there's no need to change. But if you would like more money, as long as you work for it, then it's there to be taken.
I am a Student: my parents pay for my room and my the uni, and I have to pay for my books, food etc etc from what I have on the bank (saved all those years) and what I get from the government (266 euro's a month). I don't buy cheap food, but I don't buy too much and it is going great so far. Have only worked 1 day in my life.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
You do realise you can both don't you? Just because you're earning more money doesn't mean you have to spend it. I wouldn't turn down getting a job for the reasons you've given.

Getting another job will be better for the future. You'll have more money saved and the extra experience will benefit you if you try to get other jobs in the future.
Quote by Caressing Death
I think you've got a deluded idea of self-control. It most certainly isn't staying in your room all day, living of cheap, processed food.
I'd say do something else, do anything else.

I was just using myself to get an idea, i'm a lazy son of a bitch I know haha. I'm not the example of self-control, just a part of the example. This poll has nothing to do with me. I just wanna know what ONE thing is most valuable to others.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
If you can only have one, then definitely go with work. No future employer is going to say "hey, I'm going to hire you above this other guy because you have more experience in self control."

If possible though, you should shoot to do both. Having more jobs while still living cheaply will leave you with even MORE money.