Well, todays I've seen bands that have song formations similar to prog rock, yet, these bands are not considered prog rock, maybe neo prog...

So I ask you guys, where are the bounderies of prog rock lay?

What defines prog rock?

Why some bands sound progish yet arent really prog.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Can you give examples? I have very little idea of where you're coming from.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Prog really is a hard genre to define, seeing as there have been a few different and distinct waves of it. Plus if you count all the offshoots of progressive metal and progressive rock, it gets even worse. And where do you draw the line between progressive and just technical or experimental?

I usually call most bands with progressive tendencies Prog, but with a qualifier. Like Neo-Prog or Progressive Death Metal or whatever.

And for examples, Radiohead and Muse are both modern bands that have some very progressive moments and songs, but I'd wouldn't exactly label them as strictly progressive rock.
Last edited by D&DLover at Jul 29, 2010,
Ideally, prog, to me, isn't so much a "genre" in the traditional sense, as a mindset applied to a variety of genres. And the difference between "prog" and other mindsets is how many prog artists shun commercial trappings in rock song formats, and treat their music as something that's a bit more "artistic" as a whole, when compared to a band that's just writing songs for entertainment value. But then, the whole thing is subjective, because I bet some of those mainstream bands that write the same style as many other bands probably think their music is artistic as well.

I hate to say it, but sometimes I look at the whole prog label as something that's kind of arrogantly placed on any band that sees itself as "better" than everyone else. Especially bands with members that flaunt their abilities readily.

To me, I see "progressiveness" as a sort of willingness to experiment. So to me, that makes any band that pushes boundaries, regardless of their genre, as "prog", from electronic acts like Shpongle to avant-garde metal acts like Maudlin of the Well to Frank Zappa to Meshuggah, etc... but it also need not be limited to underground/unknown acts, either. Incubus are kind of prog-like, as are Muse. Dir en grey are huge in Japan, and I'd pin them as a "prog-related" band. Even Korn, when they first came out, would have qualified, as there was nothing like it at the time.

tl;dr: The boundaries are pretty much subjective.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.