hey UG

I have a question. You see, I have never really been fond of metal-core music, as I am more into Thrash and death, but I found that I prefer "metalcore" tone to "metal" tone
some examples(forgive me if I missplace a band into metalcore as it isn't a genre I listen to)

metalcore vs metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPpLVdbVXFI&feature=related / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhYT-7bzHis / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1FkbvGl-IU VS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RDGLQuBkaE / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRP6iMZ1Pic / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MK9bJdclc&feature=related

My question is how would I set up my eq to get a more "metalcore" tone

This is one of my god-tones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBjgoTTs88 preferably with more bass.

I am not looking for distortion suggestions or amps just how would I set up my EQ?

Thanks guys
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
no middle max bass gain at about 4 treble at about 2, this is what I use on my marshall amp
Check out my YouTube Videos
http:
//www.youtube.com/user/callamanster
It's different depending on the amp, but generally metalcore has scooped mids and boosted lows and highs. This works really well in some setups, but I hate scooped mids.

Tone and EQ is also really subjective, so keep that in mind when listening to advice here.

Try putting your lows at 7, mids at 3, and highs at 7, and then work with it from there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by LarsHamfield
no middle max bass gain at about 4 treble at about 2, this is what I use on my marshall amp

Don't do this.

You can scoop your mids, no problem, but don't take them out completely.

I would suggest to use your ears and play with your EQ until you have a convincing metalcore-tone.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
god... all of you act like there exists a metalcore tone, or a metal tone, or a black tone, or a death tone... blah blah blah. Just ****in' tweak your EQ, play with it a few hours until you get "YOUR TONE". And if, after a few hours, you still can't get any acceptable tone, then i'm sorry, but you have to buy a diffrent amp. Try figuring out what amp does your superhero use. I don't think it's a 10W Marshall 10 MGCD or some crap like that.
TEAR IT DOWN - new EP out now!
Czech death/deathcore/metalcore band
Visit our profile, listen to the new stuff and download for free, if you like it! - songs here!

Visit my youtube profile for some awesome solos - Kiwara's YT
buy a framus dragon and dragon speaker with an maxon OD 808...that is it
all right heres the perfect metalcore rig:
Guitar: BC Rich Metal Master Warlock tuned to Drop Brutal(exactly 666 octaves below drop d)
Amp: Line 6 Spider 4 Head into Line 6 Cab(Insane Distortion Setting, Bass 10, Mid 0, Treble 10, Presence 10, Volume 10
Effects: Boss MEtalzone completely dimed
Boss EQ Pedal, Mids zero, Treble and bass 10
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Quote by shiz.zle
Guitar: BC Rich Metal Master Warlock tuned to Drop Brutal(exactly 666 octaves below drop d)
Amp: Line 6 Spider 4 Head into Line 6 Cab(Insane Distortion Setting, Bass 10, Mid 0, Treble 10, Presence 10, Volume 10
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

Stop flaming dude, you don't look cool.

TS, use your ears, but i'd start by keeping my mids in, at 12 o'clock as this adds the tightness you need for metalcore. Scooping it completely defeats the purpose of guitar, as its naturally a mid-voiced instrument.

Boosting the lows to about 7 adds the chuggyness, and treble is usually to your taste, whether you're playing lead or rhythm. As a rhythm guitarist, mines usually about 4, when i play metalcore.

Keep the gain a lot lower than you think too, theres a level of gain when it just stops being beneficial to your tone. For metalcore, maybe 5 or 6, because theres a lot of complex riffs, where the clarity is needed, over extreme amounts of gain.

Hope I helped, TS, but theres probably likely to be a thread on this already, try searching for more info.
Quote by shiz.zle
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

And your helping who exactly?
SMILE!
Yeah I'd just adjust the EQ until you get a pretty tight, crisp, modern sounding distortion. What people are saying about lows is pretty subjective to the environment and all parts of the guitar.

When I'm in my room, I have my lows at about 4 (11 o'clock). But when I'm practicing in the garage with the band, I usually turn the lows up a touch to about 4.5-5, and turn down the highs to about 6.5 from 7.5 and turn the tone down a touch.

I also have to change the gain and turn that down a little bit, too. So really, the whole EQ of the amp, no one can tell you what will make it sound right. It's incredibly subjective.

Try running them all flat at 12 o'clock (including the gain) and then you'll probably move the bass and the treble first. Then change the gain to a reasonable amount, then the mids. I always adjust mids last (right now they're at 1 o'clock)
Quote by shiz.zle
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

Kurt Ballou thinks you're a fool.

No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by shiz.zle
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

ahahahahahahaha...no just stfu
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by megano28
seeing that your profile states you're a 1997 kid with an engl and a custom ESP makes you at least one of two things

I believe its his "Dream Rig"

dont turn down the mids all the way down,a major part of your tone is mids,hence turning them all the way down will decrease the volume of your guitar...I mean even when the volume is full,your guitar will be barely audible when jamming with two people...

yeah like most people said,there is nothing such as a "metalcore tone",turn all the knobs to 12 o clock,and fiddle with them until your get your desired tone...

I have my bass set at about 3 o clock,mids at 12-1 o clock and treble at 2 o clock..might sound like shit to someone else but hey who cares?"a good tone" is something thats entirely subjective
Quote by shiz.zle
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

Hey guys, but you must admit - the drop brutal made me laugh for 2 seconds
TEAR IT DOWN - new EP out now!
Czech death/deathcore/metalcore band
Visit our profile, listen to the new stuff and download for free, if you like it! - songs here!

Visit my youtube profile for some awesome solos - Kiwara's YT
Quote by shiz.zle
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

Dude, this doesn't make sense. The Spider doesn't have a presence-control.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by archenemyfan

I believe its his "Dream Rig"

ahahahahahahahaha I didn't see the dream rig part lol
therefore I will now facepalm myself for a few hours...

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by shiz.zle
Skinny Jeans
Eyeliner
Scars on Wrists
thats about it

ok sorry everyone i wasn't serious it was just me being an idiot, sincerest apologies if anyone was offended
i hope this counts as real help
try equing like this
bass: 7
mid:6
treble:5
gain:7.5
Presence:6
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.