Page 1 of 2
If you were in a band, and some asshat in the crowd was throwing things at you, and I mean non threatening things like empty plastic bottles and such, how would The Pit react?

The reason I ask is because earlier tonight I went to the Cool Tour in Dallas for the sole purpose of seeing Between The Buried and Me. One of the bands that played there was called the Acacia Strain.

I really didn't like them, and apparently someone else didn't either. Toward the end of the set somebody threw a quarter at him, and he got all pissed. But, it seemed like he was kidding, so no one saw what was coming next. They throw another one and he goes, "That's it, we're done." and walks off the stage.

Now, that much I can understand. No one wants shit flying at them while they're on stage. But then the singer comes back and tries to root out who threw the quarter from the crowd, calling him a "pussy" and talking about how he's going to get his ass kicked. This is where over-reaction status is achieved.

You'd think it would stop there, but OH NO IT DOESN'T. The crowd then starts pushing some poor guy forward, despite the fact that he wasn't anywhere near the quarter throwing origin, and the lead singer straight decks him in the face and starts choking him.

Is there any way to justify this? I could understand having the heckler removed from the venue, but physical assault doesn't really seem like the best reaction. It just made him seem like a butthurt, raging redneck.

TL;DR.

Guy throws quarter at singer on-stage. Singer punches and chokes guy. I wonder how you would react in a similar situation.

First thread ever by the way.
So fell Lord Perth...

... And the countryside did shake with that thunder.
Were you at a Guns N' Roses concert, by any chance?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
That guy should press charges. No one wants stuff thrown at them on stage, but you just cut your losses and leave if it's that bad, you don't go looking for a fight.
Wow that's pretty bad on the singer's part.

It's one thing to stop playing, but to go ape shit on the guy...he's just stereotyping his genre even more...
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Jul 29, 2010,
XxThat'sxPrettyxHardcorexX

But seriously, what a ****.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by JayT44

I was about to make a comment about how there were too many sweaty fat guys for it to be a Guns n' Roses concert, but then I realized this probably wasn't the case.
So fell Lord Perth...

Well, I guess it depends what they're throwing.
If it's something that's gonna hurt when it hits, then I'd be pissed. Don't know that I'd actually consider walking off unless I actually got hit by something(that hurt). First port of call in that situation is security, though. It's their job to stop stuff like that happening twice.
Empty bottles/plastic cups... who cares, really?

The particular example... well, IMO, the guy should have gone to the venues security. Also, he should have picked up the quarter, and gone "f*ck yea, we're gettin' PAID tonight!" or something, and got on with the show.
What a douche, if some guys in the crowd were throwing stuff at me I'd taunt them and constantly yelling out "YOU MISSED! YOUR AIM'S HORRIBLE!" and maybe throw some yo mamma jokes in as well.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
It's only acceptable if you're trying to give them something back

you're all like "Hey mate, you forgot you chair"

*throw chair*

"Hey man thanks you should come back stage with us and sex up our groupies because you gave us our chair back"

"AW Hells ya"

see...

jk, it's rude
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by ixKilledxKenny
If you were in a band, and some asshat in the crowd was throwing things at you, and I mean non threatening things like empty plastic bottles and such, how would The Pit react?

The reason I ask is because earlier tonight I went to the Cool Tour in Dallas for the sole purpose of seeing Between The Buried and Me. One of the bands that played there was called the Acacia Strain.

I really didn't like them, and apparently someone else didn't either. Toward the end of the set somebody threw a quarter at him, and he got all pissed. But, it seemed like he was kidding, so no one saw what was coming next. They throw another one and he goes, "That's it, we're done." and walks off the stage.

Now, that much I can understand. No one wants shit flying at them while they're on stage. But then the singer comes back and tries to root out who threw the quarter from the crowd, calling him a "pussy" and talking about how he's going to get his ass kicked. This is where over-reaction status is achieved.

You'd think it would stop there, but OH NO IT DOESN'T. The crowd then starts pushing some poor guy forward, despite the fact that he wasn't anywhere near the quarter throwing origin, and the lead singer straight decks him in the face and starts choking him.

Is there any way to justify this? I could understand having the heckler removed from the venue, but physical assault doesn't really seem like the best reaction. It just made him seem like a butthurt, raging redneck.

TL;DR.

Guy throws quarter at singer on-stage. Singer punches and chokes guy. I wonder how you would react in a similar situation.

First thread ever by the way.

The guy who got punched at that posted this on another forum. He said the singer apologized and they got free tickets to Mayhemfest and got to meet As I Lay Dying (the band he was there to see) and got some other free stuff. Basically it turned out pretty good for the guy who got hit.
I'd only ever stop a show if people were mistreating/groping women, if people were throwing stuff at the stage I'd just laugh it off. Not gonna let them win.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Seamus O'shanty
The guy who got punched at that posted this on another forum. He said the singer apologized and they got free tickets to Mayhemfest and got to meet As I Lay Dying (the band he was there to see) and got some other free stuff. Basically it turned out pretty good for the guy who got hit.

If that's the case it just seems like he was trying to avoid assault charges. Either way the singer is still a cockmunch. But at least it turned out okay for the other guy.
So fell Lord Perth...

I'd do nothing. You suck it up and play, you stand your ground, play your songs, and then go get drunk.
I've been hit with beer bottles and cans before onstage. We didn't quit playing, but it really sucks when you get nailed, or when your gear gets hit with that stuff. You can quit playing and piss the entire crowd off, or just let them be vigilant and take care of the ass that is tossing stuff at you, cause they will eventually.
Josh Homme over-reacts like that a lot, but IIRC he's never actually physically harmed anyone.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Reminds me of a time some guy in the crowd called Billie Joe a pussy, so he jumped in the crowd, drop kicked him, and got back out. like, right in front of security. funny as hell, douche move though.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
ever been to a strangelers gig
i new someone who got punched in the eye by the lead singer for no reason
and this happend alot when punk rock was big in the 70s and 80s.
Quote by JayT44

If this happened at a guns n' roses concert with one of the opening acts, Axl would get mad and claim they were stealing HIS act, lol.

Back on subject,

It depends on what's being thrown, roses? I'm fine as long as its a chick throwing them. Quarters? Make some wise crack about being broke, and appreciating the money i'm being given. Anything lethal (knives etc) or dirty (food etc), then i'll crowdsurf, and punch the guy in the face while still performing the song.
some dude hit dizzee rascal with a shoe at bigdayout in australia.
dizzee finished the song and jumped off stage and started going off at the dude.
security held him back
the crowd volunteered the douche and he was kicked out. dizzee finished his set.

tbh, if someone actually hit me with something once, i'd joke it off and continue. twice and (depending on what it was) i'd probably leave.

on a side note, some dude at the same festival climbed up a pole in the middle of one of the tents and the band goes "sorry everyone, but we cant continue until he gets down"
he got absolutely smashed with shoes, bottles, everything
I can just see myself getting mad and telling the crowd to destroy whomever did it.

Then get sued by his family when they can't find his remains.
Quote by prleLTD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ShgqBDzLw

skip to round 2:20

thats how to deal with it

That was pretty awesome, and the cleaners after the show must have loved Offspring for that lol.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Vincent is a badass. You talks lots of shit about people in the crowd, just who he is. I would have done the same thing. Unless you're nickleback, or some shitty pop singer, no one deserves shit thrown at them. If you don't like what's playing, go grab a beer or smoke outside and wait for the next act.
How you handle a situation like this on stage really can make a difference to how the audience view you.

Whether it's just a heckler or someone physicaly throwing stuff at you, if you can make that person look like a complete asswipe in front of the rest of the audience, then that audience will often back you up.
Hitting somone on stage just makes you look like a thug, but verbally destroying them, particularly if what you say is also funny, tends to get an audience's respect.

For instance, 1984 Castle Donington Monsters of Rock festival. (I was there) Van Halen are on stage and some tit throws a bottle of piss at Dave Lee Roth. Dave immediately stopped the band dead mid-song and says 'Hey, I know who threw that bottle and I don't give a damn because when this gig's over, I'm gonna f*ck your girlfriend!' then immediately launched back into the song exactly where they left off.

The timing and execution was superb, the guy who threw the bottle looked like a complete chump, everyone laughed at him and nothing else was thrown.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 29, 2010,
That story would be cooler if we could verify that he did in fact sleep with his girlfriend.

I can't remember if it was Layne Staley or Kurt Cobain.. I'm thinking it was Layne, but he had a shoe thrown at him, so he pissed in it and threw it right back at the guy. Perry Farrell has questioned people's fashion sense based on the shoe that is thrown.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Sounds like Axl Rose. Maybe he should give a warning that if it carries on, they will walk out but I mean, c'mon, that's a bit retarded.
I always liked the story where At the Drive-In didn't wanna put up with all the moshing, so Cedric started insulting people and then walked off stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi2PjcXO7Zc
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by MightyAl
Also, he should have picked up the quarter, and gone "f*ck yea, we're gettin' PAID tonight!" or something, and got on with the show.

That's what I would do. Joke about it and make the rest of the audience realize how stupid throwing stuff is.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Page 1 of 2