Hey guys, i recently bought a Artist P-Bass and was wondering if Basswood was a good wood for bass.

Thanks
define 'good'

theres an amazing difference between high and low grade basswood.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Owenlee55
Hey guys, i recently bought a Artist P-Bass and was wondering if Basswood was a good wood for bass.

Thanks

Basswood is completely character free, you won't sound darker (like mahogany) or brighter (like maple), not necessarily bad though. After all, Musicman Bongos use basswood.

One major problem is looks, don't get a clear finish on basswood.
Quote by Spaz91

One major problem is looks, don't get a clear finish on basswood.

This.

Meh. In general, 99% of the people listening will not be able to notice any difference if you play a set with basses of different wood types (assuming everything else is the same).

I like Ash and Walnut, personally.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I'm an ash guy, it makes your strings sound a little fresher.

but basswood is a fine wood, many very excellent basses are made with the stuff.

but like mentioned dont clearcoat it.

particle board has similar amounts of wood grain. bleh.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
so basswood is kinda like a neutral wood if you get what i mean? it's a reliable wood. Also will it dent easy because i heard it's really soft.
Quote by Owenlee55
so basswood is kinda like a neutral wood if you get what i mean? it's a reliable wood. Also will it dent easy because i heard it's really soft.

If you're clumsy enough to break through the finish then you deserve a dent.

Yes it will dent VERY easily which is why you should make sure the finish is strong. I have had a basswood bass and a basswood guitar, the bass (a Squier Deluxe Jazz V, I would kill to get it back) had a nice thick finish so dents were never a problem. The guitar (a Westcoast Telecaster) had a finish so soft and weak that I could dent it by looking at it.

The softness of the wood really shouldn't affect your purchase, unless is pine. That shit's nasty.
Ash is a great wood. I have swamp ash on my ESP B-206SM.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I think the biggest problem w/ basswood is the fact that the wood is lighter. If you have a chunky neck, your bass might have neck dive problems. Also, since the wood is softer the screws on the input jack can easily strip the wood(happened to my bass.)
Quote by Skeletomania
I think the biggest problem w/ basswood is the fact that the wood is lighter. If you have a chunky neck, your bass might have neck dive problems. Also, since the wood is softer the screws on the input jack can easily strip the wood(happened to my bass.)

I've actually heard it make a really good guitar for this very reason, mostly because you can stand up and play a 30 minute to hour long set without really getting tired.
Quote by SilverBassLine
I've actually heard it make a really good guitar for this very reason, mostly because you can stand up and play a 30 minute to hour long set without really getting tired.

A lot more higher end bass use alder or ash, and it definitely didn't deter people using it for live stage because it's heavier. Plus, majority of the bass aren't so heavy that you can't play long periods of time. If a bass is indeed a tad bit too heavy, you can always use a thicker strap to distribute the weight.
Quote by Skeletomania
A lot more higher end bass use alder or ash, and it definitely didn't deter people using it for live stage because it's heavier. Plus, majority of the bass aren't so heavy that you can't play long periods of time. If a bass is indeed a tad bit too heavy, you can always use a thicker strap to distribute the weight.

or grow some balls
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
LOL.

Basswood is lighter than most woods though it's a lightweight in tone if like your bass to color the tone a bit.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!