So i want to install a coil tap pot on my guitar to increase my guitars versatility

Is this as easy as buying a coil tap volume pot and soldering it to the existing wires?
I'm not sure, but just to let you know when you have a coil tap on your guitar, it doesn't actually give you a proper single coil sound but just a similierish sound to it.

But I assume soldering. Don't take my word for it.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Do you mean a coil tap (done to single coil pickups to reduce output), or do you actually mean a coil split (done to humbuckers to cut out one coil and turn the pickup into a single coil)? They are two different things but the names often get confused.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Do you mean a coil tap (done to single coil pickups to reduce output), or do you actually mean a coil split (done to humbuckers to cut out one coil and turn the pickup into a single coil)? They are two different things but the names often get confused.

i was under the impression that a coil tap was the same as coil split lol the reason for thinking this was when i tried out a schecter C7, the little tag on the volume pot said "coil tap"
in regards to the above, this wouldnt work ? http://luthierssupplies.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=141_63_307&products_id=1537

Yes i want install a coil SPLIT

im currently using a Jackson DK2M with Duncan Jb & Jazz p-ups.

also seing as you seem to be knowledgeable with this, will a coil split work on both neck and bridge pickups or will i need a second pot for the second pickup?
As far as I know you need pickups that actually support a coil-tap function... Not all humbuckers can be split just like that.
Quote by arjanboelsma
As far as I know you need pickups that actually support a coil-tap function... Not all humbuckers can be split just like that.

This. If your guitar has stock pickups and it's not already coil tapped, there's a good chance that you won't be able to coil tap them, as a lot of guitars come stock with single or 2 conductor pickups.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This. If your guitar has stock pickups and it's not already coil tapped, there's a good chance that you won't be able to coil tap them, as a lot of guitars come stock with single or 2 conductor pickups.

as previously mentioned, theyre duncan Jb & jazz
The JB and Jazz should be 4 conductor, so yes you can split them. A lot of manufacturers say Coil Tap when it should be Coil Split, they're quite different.

You can get a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncans site, they have heaps of options and should have the configuration you're after.
Last edited by littlephil at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
The JB and Jazz should be 4 conductor, so yes you can split them. A lot of manufacturers say Coil Tap when it should be Coil Split, they're quite different.

You can get a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncans site, they have heaps of options and should have the configuration you're after.

thank you very much Phil