I'm thinking its mold but I'm not so sure. Is there a way to clean this off and a way to prevent it?

Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
That's just standard dirt that builds up from playing. Believe it or not, it's good for the fretboard. If it builds up too much right on the fretwire then it can cause problems, but it's easy enough to clean off - just grab a dry, inkless microfibre cloth and softly wipe over it. Don't scrub at it - if it doesn't shift right away, just keep passing over. If you apply pressure and scrub then you can wear down the fretboard and fretwire, which isn't good and costs a lot to fix - so go easy on it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Just use a tissue or something? My string and fretboard get dirty all the time, but that just doesn't look healty.
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
my idiot of a bassist had my guitar for some time when i got it back it had stuff like that on it
hmm just try to clean it out and then treat it with some oil and it will be back to normal
basically oil the fretboard that should work
Oh ok thats good. Actually I had brought this up to one of my guitar buddies and he told me using a #0000 steel wool is ok to use to clean up the gunk on the fretboard. Is it really or is it actually causing harm to the fretboard?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Quote by EncoreBlade
Oh ok thats good. Actually I had brought this up to one of my guitar buddies and he told me using a #0000 steel wool is ok to use to clean up the gunk on the fretboard. Is it really or is it actually causing harm to the fretboard?

Eh, steel wool???? There's no way I'd use that to clean my fretboard. it's simply down to dirt from your fingers getting on the fretboard. You can get a special fretboard cleaning product from Dunlop I think that does a great job of cleaning this up. For years, after reading an interview by Kirk Hammet, or possibly Zack Wylde, they said that they relgiously wash their hands before playing their guitar, I have done the same. It takes a lot longer for this gunk to build up and your fingertips definately move more freely over the fretboard.
All you really need is a couple of lint free towels (I use jersey knit towels) and a bottle of lemon oil. Kyser sells a good bottle of it. Spray in on one towel...put enough on the fretboard to cover it...just a really light coat and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then wipe it down with the other towel...You may have to do this a couple of times to get it clean but it will work. It will also put moisture back into the fretboard and give it a good shine.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
its actually not dirt like these guys are saying, its dead skin flakes. but a dry tissue should do it, if u want to u can get gibson guitar polish. its completely safe for your whole guitar. depending where u are, it sholdnt cost much. cost me 7 bucks in GA
Quote by vennaco
For years, after reading an interview by Kirk Hammet, or possibly Zack Wylde, they said that they relgiously wash their hands before playing their guitar, I have done the same. It takes a lot longer for this gunk to build up and your fingertips definately move more freely over the fretboard.

I used to do this, and agree with you about the fingers moving freely bit, but i stopped after reading that washing your hands properly makes your calluses weaker and so youre more likely to rip them up when playing
I got an Ibanez awhile back from a buddy that doesn't clean his guitars.....ewww.
The gunk was bad, It took fretboard conditioner wipes and something to pick the chunks off.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I just scratch it off with my nails when it gets noticable lol I've never been the type of guy that's nuts about having a "nice looking" guitar.I've noticed that over time on a unfinished maple fretbaord it makes it look cool like a vintage guitar
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Finger cheese.

Quote by ask768
I used to do this, and agree with you about the fingers moving freely bit, but i stopped after reading that washing your hands properly makes your calluses weaker and so youre more likely to rip them up when playing

A quick wash is not a big deal... but definately don't run to the guitar after washing the dishes or having a shower.

This is unrelated, but two days ago my finger slipped when doing a bend, and it turns out that it was actually my callus that ripped halfway off. There seems to be a cycle with my calluses... they build up until the are optimal, then start breaking down and cause me grief.
Last edited by Concat at Jul 29, 2010,
Lemon oil is to condition the fingerboard & not to clean it. It should be used very sparingly (drops in a cloth) and very in frequently. Too much oil and you can cause damage to the board (they dry the wood out for manufacturing for a reason)
Naptha can be used as a solvent to help dissolve the mung but it will dry the board otut.
0000 Steel wool is perfectly acceptable for Rosewood and Ebony (not maple), it can buff the frets and clean out pores in the wood but it does tend to migrate to the pickups because of the magnets. I would only use it if the pores were really clogged with crap.
A credit card or other thin plastic straight edge can be used to scrape mung off the board when its really bad (ie built up by the frets and on the surface of the fretboard)

Cleaning with a dry cloth after use is the best way to prevent this to begin with however.

BTW there are a lot of good books on guitar care out there. Whilethey cost money they're a better source of info than the myths and mmsinformation that move so quickly thru the internet.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by ask768

Never really thought about that, you could have a point. Can't say tho that washing my hands before playing really affected my callouses, not that i noticed anyway.
Quote by KenG
Lemon oil is to condition the fingerboard & not to clean it. It should be used very sparingly (drops in a cloth) and very in frequently. Too much oil and you can cause damage to the board (they dry the wood out for manufacturing for a reason)
Naptha can be used as a solvent to help dissolve the mung but it will dry the board otut.
0000 Steel wool is perfectly acceptable for Rosewood and Ebony (not maple), it can buff the frets and clean out pores in the wood but it does tend to migrate to the pickups because of the magnets. I would only use it if the pores were really clogged with crap.
A credit card or other thin plastic straight edge can be used to scrape mung off the board when its really bad (ie built up by the frets and on the surface of the fretboard)

Cleaning with a dry cloth after use is the best way to prevent this to begin with however.

BTW there are a lot of good books on guitar care out there. Whilethey cost money they're a better source of info than the myths and mmsinformation that move so quickly thru the internet.

Probably the best advice yet. I also use a credit card to remove most of the gunk before cleaning the fretboard properly
your guitar is eating your fingers, be afraid.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by vennaco
Probably the best advice yet. I also use a credit card to remove most of the gunk before cleaning the fretboard properly

I can't really take the credit. This is advice from Dan Erlewine's book!
Moving on.....
Yeah, I have this same problem, only there's so much buildup a credit card just doesn't get it all... It's like transperent/browny thick shit that looks like glue.
I was also wondering, would using finger lube increase the amount of gunk on the fretboard?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3