Has anyone else noticed this? Like, in a bunch of solos (Afterlife, Lost etc) when he's picking fast passages or sliding, it sounds like there's NO pick attack and no gap inbetween the notes. I'm wondering if anyone else hears what I'm talking about, and can pick out where it comes from... a REALLY strong compressor and sustain pedal with a lot of gain?

I'm lost :/
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
yes its compression
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
You mean his flowing, legato style lead sound?

He has REALLY REALLY high output pickups and then compresses them... And gets rid of all his mids... Poor mids... And distorts it a lot :0 I think he probably uses his neck pickup as well. Although he has a sustainer in a lot of his guitars so idk. He has such a good lead tone. Does anyone else think the solo in nightmare was one of his best to date? It is so awesome, I should imagine he's spent the last four years thinking that one up and it was certainly worth it.
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Yeah compared to other metalcore guitarists, you're right: but he definitely scoops them a fair bit... compared to me anyway
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
and zacky, at the time of STST, absolutely abolished his mids. He's grown up a bit now. :L
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
I've heard him saying that he uses a Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer, that may be the one who gets him this smooth sound
Legato?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Legato?

style of playing/picking
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
style of playing/picking

I think he was suggesting that Syn uses legato. Also, didn't they switch from the Uberschalls to Marshalls or something?
Quote by phoenix_crush
I think he was suggesting that Syn uses legato. Also, didn't they switch from the Uberschalls to Marshalls or something?

I know that they plug Marshall and apparently have a sponsorship but i'm pretty sure their backline is still Bogners.
Quote by phoenix_crush
I think he was suggesting that Syn uses legato.

Yes, I just meant that I believe the TS is referring to legato.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I know that they plug Marshall and apparently have a sponsorship but i'm pretty sure their backline is still Bogners.

A lot of his lead sound, like already mentioned, is smooth legato on a hot neck pickup...and compressed to all hell, through whatever amp he used in studio (because most bands use a shit ton of different amps in studio...and they are often not the same they use on tour).

There were two marshall heads in a rack by themselves on each side of the stage the last time I seen them...whether they were being used or not is a good question though Maybe I'll win the grand prize drawing for backstage passes to the Uproar Tour next month and ask him
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 29, 2010,
ahh my bad haha

some vids on youtube saying they use marshalls some saying they use bogners
either way i like their sound
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by eyebanez333
A lot of his lead sound, like already mentioned, is smooth legato on a hot neck pickup...and compressed to all hell, through whatever amp he used in studio (because most bands use a shit ton of different amps in studio...and they are often not the same they use on tour).

There were two marshall heads in a rack by themselves on each side of the stage the last time I seen them...whether they were being used or not is a good question though Maybe I'll win the grand prize drawing for backstage passes to the Uproar Tour next month and ask him

Heh well there ya go then, I did hear they were worried about touring and not being able to get their hands on an Uber easily if something went wrong
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Heh well there ya go then, I did hear they were worried about touring and not being able to get their hands on an Uber easily if something went wrong

That was the reason I read somewhere too...which is understandable. Any town/city that has a venue big enough to have them play at, will also have a music store with a JCM800 should they need one But like I said, what they use on tour will likely, almost certainly be different than what they use in studio
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 29, 2010,
He actually stated in an interview once that his BOSS CS3 is his 'secret weapon', you should give that a look.

Also, as others mentioned, he used an Uberschall, fairly mid heavy tone, his guitar has a Sustainiac pickup and an SD Invader. I'm not sure what amp he uses now, he's supposed to be exclusively using JCM800's now but I'm really not sure what the deal is there, his guitar tone on Nightmare doesn't sound very JCM800-ish. I'm almost sure when watching a studio tour from the self-titled I could see Uberschalls and a few Recto's, which I'm assuming are Zacky's. He uses his neck pickup a lot too, particularly in solos like Gunslinger and Seize The Day.

He also has a very funny way of picking, I don't know if this would have much to do with it, but look on youtube for his sweep picking, dive bomb and 'Beast and the Harlot' lessons he did for Total Guitar, and you can see he has an odd way of holding his pick.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
He actually stated in an interview once that his BOSS CS3 is his 'secret weapon', you should give that a look.

Also, as others mentioned, he used an Uberschall, fairly mid heavy tone, his guitar has a Sustainiac pickup and an SD Invader. I'm not sure what amp he uses now, he's supposed to be exclusively using JCM800's now but I'm really not sure what the deal is there, his guitar tone on Nightmare doesn't sound very JCM800-ish. I'm almost sure when watching a studio tour from the self-titled I could see Uberschalls and a few Recto's, which I'm assuming are Zacky's. He uses his neck pickup a lot too, particularly in solos like Gunslinger and Seize The Day.

He also has a very funny way of picking, I don't know if this would have much to do with it, but look on youtube for his sweep picking, dive bomb and 'Beast and the Harlot' lessons he did for Total Guitar, and you can see he has an odd way of holding his pick.
I have a CS-3 and to be honest I can't stand it but I will admit I don't really know how to use a compressor It was an impulse buy and I had a fat wallet lol

I'm surprised that he's using 800's I really didn't think they had that much gain or that voicing Might be modded or something, but again all the rack gear and compressors etc his tone is far from dry
Oh really? I was thinking about buying one when I can afford it, just went back to uni and have to get textbooks and crap... ugh. Also can't justify getting one before a Delay, Phaser, Toneport and a retubing of my 333XL lol

I'd be thinking he uses the Uberschalls and just plugs the Marshalls. There's no way his tone is all JCM800.
Really? I've heard the opposite of that, few people I know have one and they reckon it's pretty quiet as long as you don't have the sustain RIIIIIIIIGHT up.
dang i was hoping to learn more about how he uses the compressor in this thread :P

i havent listened to avenged in a long time, but i did like their tone and the earlier works too.

i have a boss gt10 and i still haven't learned how to dial in a comp, delay, reverb, and chorus yet
Just to hazard a guess, I'd put the attack down pretty low and the sustain all the way up and then back it off until it stops being noisy (because full sustain on a CS3 WILL give you a lot of noise).
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Just to hazard a guess, I'd put the attack down pretty low and the sustain all the way up and then back it off until it stops being noisy (because full sustain on a CS3 WILL give you a lot of noise).

thanks, i usually dont try any extreme settings but i really should be more open to experimenting :x