Looking to buy guitar, electric of course + AMP
Ive been looking around and the Ibanez S series always seem to catch my eye, and I like the look and the feel of them.

Something that i wont need to upgrade once I get a bit better if possible? I might be able to find some more cash if its really needed for something worth buying.

So any advice would be appreciated.
Anything you need to know to help me choose?

oh, not a fan of the les paul look

Budget - ~$550 US
Not much but all I can afford any time soon
Last edited by gav_R at Jul 29, 2010,
What sort of music do you play and, amp for home playing or also for gigging?
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Well The Ibanez S-Series sounds like a good decision
But you can also try the SA or RG-Series. I own a RG270 and I'm very confident with that guitar. Its also very good value, so there'll be some money left for a nice amp
As guitar-amp you can use a Vox Valvetronix, they have a lot of different sounds for a good price...
But this are just some hints I can give
bulletFMV, bring me the horizon, foo fighters, them crooked vultures disturbed, a day to remember, parkway drive, sick puppies, led zeppelin, blink 182, the clash.

fair range, but thats what i listen too, id be happy if something fit all those :P and amp would jsut be for home
In that case an ibanez will be great. For the amp, The Vox Valvetronix does have lots of sounds, but it sounds really digital to me, if i were you i would buy a small 5w tube amp with maybe some sort of overdrive pedal to boost it.
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by metalbaswee
In that case an ibanez will be great. For the amp, The Vox Valvetronix does have lots of sounds, but it sounds really digital to me, if i were you i would buy a small 5w tube amp with maybe some sort of overdrive pedal to boost it.

Yay, I have the Ibanez Valbee (5W Alltube) and it has a very brutal included boost. I think you can play with that amp BMTH, etc. if I can play In Flames without problems.
You can't go wrong with any of the S series, since the cheapest ones are still far, far superior than your run of the mill "beginner guitars".

I highly, highly recommend buying used though, as $550 will run out very quickly, especially with the S series guitars. Ebay and Craigs List are musicians best friends, and that's something you'd do well to never forget.

As for amp, there is always the ever amazing Peavey Vypyr as a beginner amp.

It will be really hard to fit a good guitar and a good amp into your budget. You can find 5W tube amps, but then you'd need pedals to supplement them, and tube amps (even 5W ones) cost a pretty penny.

So, I suggest an Ibanez S of some sort, and a Peavey Vypyr 30, both from ebay and Craigs List. Look around, and see how much that'd cost you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

So, I suggest an Ibanez S of some sort, and a Peavey Vypyr 30, both from ebay and Craigs List. Look around, and see how much that'd cost you.

+1

If you want a budget tremolo equipped guitar,the S is the only guitar I'd ever recommend..other LFR's at that price are nowhere as good as ZR's

craigslist is your friend

if you can find a used Rg550 for 400$ or so(the usual price they go at)you'll have plenty of money to buy a used amp as well
Vintage Makes pretty nice guitars but I heard a lot of great stuff about Ibanez
For amp I d say Peavey vypr 15 or 30 w (dunno If it fits your budget since I dont live in the USA)
Im actually in Aus, thought USD might make budgeting easier.

Being in Aus seems to limit my 2nd hand options, Ive only found one 2nd hand S series and its 700 alone. Seems to be out of the price range at this time.
i have found a new SA120 for aorund $500. Would this be suitable or should I just wait and save up for an S series? With the Peavey Vypyr15 going for around 300$ new I think I could make it work with the SA120.

Or should I just save more?
I also read somewhere I should avoid the GiO versions of Ibanez? is that correct?
Quote by gav_R
Im actually in Aus, thought USD might make budgeting easier.

Being in Aus seems to limit my 2nd hand options, Ive only found one 2nd hand S series and its 700 alone. Seems to be out of the price range at this time.
i have found a new SA120 for aorund $500. Would this be suitable or should I just wait and save up for an S series? With the Peavey Vypyr15 going for around 300$ new I think I could make it work with the SA120.

Or should I just save more?
I also read somewhere I should avoid the GiO versions of Ibanez? is that correct?

yeah pretty much,SA's and GIO arent as good as normal RG's and S's...its always better If you can save up for more though,but then ,it might be too much to a beginner like you so....
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 29, 2010,
well thanks for all the advice.
ill do some looking round and see where it leads.
hoping i can find a way to buy the s series though

would if be wrong to buy an Ibanez S420 and run it through the 15 Vypyr? Planning to upgrade amp later?
Last edited by gav_R at Jul 29, 2010,