now I realise that the vox valvetronix line of amps probably has split this whole forum in two, but; does the AC30 model sound authentic? Cos I'm looking to get one to replace the *ahem* MG as I really don't play a lot of 'brutal, crushing metal' anymore. (although imunna keep the MG to whack out a bit of BMTH every so often, just to get my fix ). I play a lot of post punk, britpop and power pop stuff, but I wanna recreate that typical AC30 sound, on a budget. Will this do it? Or alternatively, I think there's a laney 'rip-off' of the AC30; is that any good?

Cheers for any help (y)
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Where are you from?
What is your budget?
Are you willing to buy used?

That info would be useful for a better advice.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
from the UK, England to be precise, Kent to be precise-r, about £200, but obviously I can save and yeah if it's in good condition...
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Maybe a VOX AC4TV?

EDIT: if you save up a bit more, or go used, you could get a Laney VC15. It's a good amp for the genres you mentioned, even though it doesn't sound like an AC30.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 29, 2010,
Hmm Ive looked at those, it would mean i'd have to mic it even at small venues but it seems pretty sweet. I'm probably gonna use it mostly for recording seeing as most places I play have a backline provided. Do you have any experience with the valvetronixes?
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Quote by Syn-Vengeance
Do you have any experience with the valvetronixes?

Yes. They're one of the best practice amps out there (along with the Roland Cube and the Peavey Vypyr), but they're just that -- practice amps.

And as far as modelling amps go, they're "jacks of all trades, masters of none". The Valvetronix is no exception.

If you really want to upgrade your sound, one of the amps i suggested is a far better option. The improvement in your tone will be more than noticeable.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Syn-Vengeance
now I realise that the vox valvetronix line of amps probably has split this whole forum in two, but; does the AC30 model sound authentic? Cos I'm looking to get one to replace the *ahem* MG as I really don't play a lot of 'brutal, crushing metal' anymore. (although imunna keep the MG to whack out a bit of BMTH every so often, just to get my fix ). I play a lot of post punk, britpop and power pop stuff, but I wanna recreate that typical AC30 sound, on a budget. Will this do it? Or alternatively, I think there's a laney 'rip-off' of the AC30; is that any good?

Cheers for any help (y)

Yeah Laney have a rip off in 15 and 30w, both all tube. I have the 15 watt and it's a brilliant amp for the price. I had a valvetronix as my first amp, there decent enough but I prefer the Laney, tubes amp sound miles better than modelling amps.
Quote by Road Eyes
(...) tubes amp sound miles better than modelling amps.

Depends.

For certain metal genres, for example, i would take a Line 6 Flextone or a Roland JC over a tube amp any day.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
If you want an AC30 buy an AC30. You have to have a good imagination to think you are playing an AC30 when you are plugged into a VT.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Linkerman
For certain metal genres, for example, i would take a Line 6 Flextone or a Roland JC over a tube amp any day.

Wait...

What!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Cathbard
If you want an AC30 buy an AC30. You have to have a good imagination to think you are playing an AC30 when you are plugged into a VT.

alright, calm down. Some of us (probably most) don't have the money to spend on a real AC30. I was looking for an affordable alternative, and of course I'm going to have to compromise a little but I just want to know how I can get as close as possible to the sound in my head.
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
I still say save your pennies and watch the used market like a hawk. There really is no substitute for the real thing, whatever else you choose will disappoint you. Something will pop up eventually, you see people here pick up used AC30s for close to the cost of a new VT all the time. It really is chalk and cheese.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the laney VC series can handle the AC30 type sounds quite well but it will not be the same as an AC30 - it's hard to explain but it's sort of similar in some ways and very different in others. I think they actually have a bit more of a Hiwatt type sound than Vox - it's still a very '60s style british tone nonetheless.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Linkerman
Depends.

LOL you have got to be kidding me.
A vox valvetronix is an ok modeller but if you can afford an AC30 and want that sound go for the AC30. The Laney VC30 is supposed to sound pretty close as well
They made a solid state version of the AC30, using the same technology as the VT's I think, it's called the AC30VR. It's around $550, so the other options are probably better, but its worth checking out
Just had a nosey on the bay and the AC30VR can be had for anywhere between £300 and £400 so it could be worth saving for a bit longer.

Ive not tried one or heard anything for or against them but its got to be better than the VT.

How the VR's work is to have a small tube between the pre and power amp sections that mimics how a valve power amp would respond.
Quote by coolstoryangus

Someone likes modelling amps better for metal. Get over it.

I wouldn't really recommend the VRs because though they may sound similar to the AC30/AC15, they sort of sound like a cheap "wannabe" version which will probably leave something to be desired for anyone who really wants an AC30. I personally would prefer to have an amp that sounds "a bit like" a particular amp that i admire the sound of, rather than something that sounds "the same, only not as good". But might be worth trying anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
That looks like a really sensible idea: it might just be worth saving that little bit longer. The ac30vr actually looks like an ac30 as well, slightly pedantic I know, but I really like the cosmetics on the real deal ac30.. Cheers everyone. I think I'm gonna end up (a few months from now) getting one of those or a laney... Or a second hand flextone...
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
I have a VR30. Its not bad tbh but. meh.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Quote by Linkerman
Wait...

What!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, the heresy! Right, Matrix?

Quote by coolstoryangus
Quote by Linkerman
Depends.

Obvious ignorance is obvious.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Blompcube
Someone likes modelling amps better for metal. Get over it.
TBH, thats the only reason I would ever get a modelling amp (unless it had a tube power section maybe). A vetta specifically, they work great for a whole crapload of different metal tones; sweet. For rock/blues though? Doesn't compare at concert volumes to the power of tubes.

TS, you could always get a dirt box for heavier tones. Especially if you don't plan on playing metal live, your going to be very pleased with the AC30 if your going for that sound.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Egnater tweaker gives off a convincing vox sound. 15w and can be had pretty cheap.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I am seriously GASing for an AC30. I need to get a new cab for my 18 watter first though