hello, I am looking forward to build my first pedalboard. First thing in my mind is one or two distortion pedals. I dont want to get any exact band/artist tone. rather I want to have a pedal in which I can dial the knobs for riff/rhythm tones of old school thrash and heaveymetal acts like maiden, megadeth, metallica etc. Besides I want to dial the knobs for solo artists like satch, marty, vai etc. please note that I dont want the exact or accurate tone of these artists, but I want to get as much closer as I can.

Now do I need two separate pedals for rhythm/riff and lead/soloing? if a single pedal is enough, what would you recommend? I am thinking of a Hardwire TL-2 for thrash/heavy stuffs. But is it possible to get the instrumental rock tones from this pedal, since its a metal pedal. If not, then which pedal do you suggest? The Digitech Grunge pedal sounds cool to me for heavy stuffs. Preferred brands are Boss, MXR, Hardwire, Digitech etc. Sorry for long post. Thanks all.
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
By the way, I will play the pedals through clean channel of the amp. And I dont have a good amp right now, but I will buy one in future.
My Guitar Rig:

> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
I use a landmine distortion pedal and kick on the tube screamer for the lead boost. works very well although you'll also need some kind of noise gate (i use a noise gate pedal). That will kill the crazy buzz and feedback.
you have a boss GT-10, I'm sure you can pull out of it some great tones. Just get a footswitch, a power amp (even something like a Electro Harmonix 44 magnum) and speakers and you'll have a very good rig.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
a power amp? honestly I have never seen that kind of device? what does it do and how does it work? and why do I need a footswitch?

Actually the GT-10 seems very complicated to me, and its very hard to create good distortion for me, so I am thinking of a pedalboard instead.
My Guitar Rig:

> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
The GT10 can create amazing tones.

I prefer it to a pedal's distortion for heavy smooth high quality sounds, but I prefer a real tube amps distortion even more. The gt10 tries to mimic that. Get a power amp, or an amp with an FX loop. Fenders work really well as power amps for Boss GT10s and such. Im talking about cheap fender amps too