ive been saving up all of my money so soon ill be able to afford a new guitar and ive had my eyes on a few fenders but i have no idea which would be the best for me.

i play mainly rock, blues and funk. my favourite guitarists are john frusciante (rhcp), jmi hendrix, eddie hazel (funkadelic), george harrison and kurt cobain with JF being my favourite of the lot. while most of these use strats i would also point out that i already have a squier strat so i feel like a bit of a change but another strat is not out of the question. note that i also dont want to get a guitar becuase my heroes use it but i want my own tone with it

i want to be able to to play really nice cleans with a good, thick distortion (like dani california, voodoo child, super stupid style). i also like nice chord phrasing, using intervals so as is used in avant garde music (like JFs solo style in which iirc he uses a jaguar and tele more).

my budget is uncertain but i am aiming toward the cheapper fender USA/Japan or a more expensive MIM

as for other gear i will be getting quite a bit of pedals such as a boss ds-2, fuzz face, ibanez wh-10
on saturday ill be getting a marshall double stack which may or may not work seeing as its been in someones garage for 10 years (but its free so who cares?). it is a bass amp though bbut it should be fine for guitar (i often use a bass amp for guitar)

the choices are really between strats, jaguars (SS and HH) and telecasters

iirc the jaguar HH has a coil split (or tap i dont know)...does this mean i will get satisfactory single coil sounds from it because thats what im looking for

so any suggestions for guitars?
HSS strat.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
HSS strat.

although im not much of a fan could you suggest a specific model?
Go play several at the store. You will not know until you try them. Do a little research as to what each has to offer.
I have a MIM Jimmie Vaughan strat. I was very surprised with the tone it puts out. It has the Texas Hot pickups and you can pick one up for around $600. But look and try different ones. Play them through the same amp you have and any pedals if you have them. I live in Nashville and there are several Music Row session players that use the JV strat due to the bluesy tone. But don't rule out building you one to your specs. You can put together a strat with EBay parts or Warmoth for anywhere from $600-1200 depending what al you want.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
You'd be fine with a mim strat but I'd prefer a telecaster. I think the tele's can provide warmer tones.

i was thinking either the classic serios 60s or the lonestar or the road house if i were to go for an MIM strat

how do they compare to the highway one?

also...what telecasters do you suggest?
I'm thinking about upgrading my old Squire Strat with a neck from Warmoth and EMG DG-10 (David Gilmour sig) set. It comes as a pickguard with a high/low boost and a mid boost. Its SSS, all pre-wired, just gotta solder in the output wire.

You could look into something like that if its a Strat you're after.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
I'd love a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar with 12s in it best thing to do, though, would be to try them out and decide after.
If you hear the Jaguar, it's a rather twangy tone, I wanted to buy one first, but then I played the Jazzmaster they had at the shop and I was in love...
It can do both the twangy tones and the warmer tones, gives you nice heavy distortion (with right pedals and amp of course) and it still has crisp cleans.
From what I've read from you and my own experience, a jazzmaster could definitely suit you...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by cheesecakes4
Well everything about Jim Vaughn is shit, so don't get his strat.

ANYWAY! Get jazzmasterrrrrrr, think that'll suit you.

LOL, Never fails there is always an idiot that has to show everyone else how stupid they really are.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
the problem with the jazzmaster is that the place next to me doesnt stock them but they do seem cool (they dont have it on their website anyway)

i think the main advantage of it is the longer scale length (when compared to the jag) as my hands are large

ill have to try them but there are so many that i dont think i ll manage to try 5 different guitars all at once and the place is slightly out of the way

any other suggestions?
A MIM Tele or a MIM Strat are your best bets.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
A MIM Tele or a MIM Strat are your best bets.

yeah probably although i would like to see more into the jazzmaster as it seems cool

any particular MIM models though that you would recommend for my style?
Why are you looking for a Fender? There are plenty of other guitars out there. I'm not saying that to be a douche, it's just that Fenders are very different from each other. There's nothing unique about Fender. It's not like Gibson where all their guitars are mahogany and have a 24.75" scale length. All Fenders feel different and sound different.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why are you looking for a Fender? There are plenty of other guitars out there. I'm not saying that to be a douche, it's just that Fenders are very different from each other. There's nothing unique about Fender. It's not like Gibson where all their guitars are mahogany and have a 24.75" scale length. All Fenders feel different and sound different.

i know but i love fender...from their shape to all their sound
i prefer single coils to humbuckers

im not saying that ill never get humbuckers or something like that but i just like fenders a lot...they are my type of guitar