This for the bass and either this or this for the amp. Which amp is better?

He has ~500 dollars to spend.

Any recommendations? Or will these suffice? Preferably from Guitar Center, since that's really the only place he will buy from, lol.

I wish my guitar gear was this good when I first started playing guitar, lol.

And is there any point to buying a multi-effects pedal for bass at this level? I was thinking maybe just get this for distortion but that's really it.
Quote by cheesecakes4
Well I'd say get the peavey. So what-ever he likes the most.

yeah, im switching, i think the peavy is better
Cubes seem to get better rep, but I don't think he'd be disappointed with either.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
go for the peavy. it's the 60 watt amp with a 15" speaker, the roland is a 30 watt with a 10" speaker. the peavy will be way louder, and you won't notice much of a difference in sound quality. and I suggest you should check out the line 6 lowdown 110 bass amp. in my opinion it's the best sounding bass amp at that price. it's a 75 watt amp and it even has built in distortion!
The Fender Rumble 75 is a very good quality amp that is in that price rance too. 75 watts, 12 inch sub, built-in distortion, tilt-back cabinet...249.99USD.
You could do better with the bass, but I dont think its the worst choice. Id go with peavey just for the relaibility and extra wattage.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
just doin a little research on the GC website reveals that if he has a $500 budget he can get an ampeg 115, a couple different acoustics, a GK, so the advice i'm gonna give is this: have him check out some demos on youtube of some of these and whatever he thinks sound the best is what he should get. $500 can give you some pretty good choices. especially if you go used.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Last edited by drugfreeboy at Jul 29, 2010,
Yeah, I guess what are some good amps that have some good distortion with them for under 300?
None, if you want bass distortion you buy a pedal.

Or even better you buy an Ampeg Tube head.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Investigate Yamaha basses. They're about the best cheap basses you can get. I can vouch for Roland Cube amps (I own two) - definitely worth considering.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by ChemicalFire
None, if you want bass distortion you buy a pedal.

Or even better you buy an Ampeg Tube head.

Are they not good or something?
You can do a lot better then a Peavey MAX or a Roland Cube with $500.

My advice, look at an Acoustic B100 for an amp paired with an Ibanez GSR200 or Yamaha RBX170. Should run your friend about $450, leaving $50 to put towards effects and whatnot.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
You can do a lot better then a Peavey MAX or a Roland Cube with $500.

My advice, look at an Acoustic B100 for an amp paired with an Ibanez GSR200 or Yamaha RBX170. Should run your friend about $450, leaving $50 to put towards effects and whatnot.

+1
Maybe not the GSR.
Since he picked an ESP, going from ESP to Ibanez is an awkward change in my opinion.
Yamaha basses are nice though.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Arianator
Are they not good or something?

There is no such thing as a bass amp with good built in distortion. Just the way it is.

At least as far as I know

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by seemeel
Investigate Yamaha basses. They're about the best cheap basses you can get. I can vouch for Roland Cube amps (I own two) - definitely worth considering.

This is really because Yamaha makes the best cheap anything you can get. They just have terrible quality when compared to the nice stuff

But ESP has a solid rep. I'm not entirely sure how the basses sound, but I'll swear by ESP guitars (both guitarists in my old band used them. I just never had the money to seriously consider buying a different one from my Dean Vendetta or the Fender P bass I got as a high school graduation gift.)