since i suck at explaining i decided that i'm gonna tell you guys a little story

so... it was a sunny afternoon, i was with my friends and i had a guitar with me...

me: *starts playing six by all that remains*

my friends: no reaction...

but WAIT!!!

*some random friend of mine comes out of nowhere...*

random friend: *starts playing a song by paramore*

my friends: easily recognizes the song just by hearing the intro, and starts singing along to it...

me: *total silence*

so yeah... that's the problem, i personally don't think that i suck in playing guitar, i kinda think i'm a decent guitar player, but no one would listen to the songs i play, no matter how hard the song is to play, or even if it took me a whole month to figure out the song, i still get randomly pwned by the next guy playing a paramore and or justin bieber song or even the acoustic version of poker face... plz help doods... thanks in advance
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

Last edited by shadowz_fall at Jul 29, 2010,
find people who are into metal?
cause it just sounds like they probably don't know the song you are playing
Learn some uber-kvlt black metal.
Play it and act astounded when they don't know it.
Continue this, slowly changing your look to be more and more black metal.
When you end up walking the streets in corpse paint and gear that would make Abbath jealous, it is time. Take your guitar and move to the woods. Act like a troll. Write and perform black metal for the trees. You now have an audience, and are kvlt. Enjoy!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Option 1) Get new friends.

Option 2) Learn songs that people will know.

Option 3) Stop caring and play for your own enjoyment?

I'd go with option 1
i completely know what you mean, when you're the better guitar player, you just don't play mainstream like they do.
here's what i did, i found a group of people who liked the same music, every week we just get together and jam, if you cant do that, just play for yourself!
@screamokid2k
yeah, but for some unknown reasons, i can't find any, i tried but... you know...

@ChucklesMginty
well, not if you're in a band, i'm getting the feeling that unless i learn some songs from paramore, no one is gonna take our band seriously lol...

@ExOblivione
waoh! why didn't i think of this before!? now everyone will listen to the songs i play!
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

i personally like to learn these so called pop songs and add my own bluesy or even funky flare to it. I find it fun, but people are naturally going to be impressed by things they can relate too which saddens me to say is most likely going to be some old easy little ditty. Another thing to bare in mind that chicks ALWAYS dig flamenco guitar...just a thought
Last edited by Xeus at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by shadowz_fall
@screamokid2k
yeah, but for some unknown reasons, i can't find any, i tried but... you know...

@ChucklesMginty
well, not if you're in a band, i'm getting the feeling that unless i learn some songs from paramore, no one is gonna take our band seriously lol...

@ExOblivione
waoh! why didn't i think of this before!? now everyone will listen to the songs i play!

There are metalheads out there...
The world is saturated with pop so it's hard going.
In a band situation you'll have to play stuff people like as well as your own stuff.

Exoblivione, that sounds awesome.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
welcome to the 21st century..........Put an add in the local paper or sumthin like that to find metalheads to jam with. I suppose your just unlucky, although most of my friends have a shit taste in music iv a few who i can jam rock and metal with.
Well your friends obviously just don't recognize the songs you are playing because they're probably not as mainstream as Paramore or Justin Bieber. Actually, I'm sorry but you're friends seem to have been brainwashed into liking mainstream crap like Justin Bieber :S
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
How do you get people to listen?

Play something they recognise.

You're always going to be either playing for yourself or playing for an audience - the two situations don't always fit together.

Honestly, you sound like a whiny-ass kind - guitar isn't a competition, it's a musical instrument that YOU chose to play because of the music YOU love. What, exactly, does that have to do with whether or not your friends listen to you or what some other random kid plays and if he "pwns" you? If you started learning guitar because you want people to love you, well you better start learning the stuff they like.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Xeus
i personally like to learn these so called pop songs and add my own bluesy or even funky flare to it. I find it fun, but people are naturally going to be impressed by things they can relate too which saddens me to say is most likely going to be some old easy little ditty. Another thing to bare in mind that chicks ALWAYS dig flamenco guitar...just a thought

This this and once more this. Even better if you can add a flamenco twist to some pop songs.
It's sad but true. Depends to some degree on your audience, of course.

True story...We went to a Doobie Brothers concert some years back. They had just released a new album after a long layoff. The crowd was interesting... At each old "classic" DB tune, they would perk up and clap and try to sing along.
But they almost entirely ignored all the new material. They hadn't heard it before....

There are some people who always have their ears open for a new tune, but many just want to hear stuff they are familiar with. One of my co-workers only listens to music he enjoyed in high school. (he being about 55....)
I tend to get a good response to the quirky, funny tunes I write, but I pick my spots....
I recognize your problem. Playing some super technical intro to whatever song doesn't impress anyone, playing D G A G chords has people looking at me like I'm some sort of a musical prodigy. That's what you get when "musicians" like Lady GaGa and Justing Bieber are seen musical geniuses.

I personally think that as soon as you actually start explaining people how music actually works, people will find that pop music generally is the same trick in a different coating. Too bad hardly anyone knows something about music nowadays.... It's how Ms Gaga and Mr. Bieber got here in the first place. -.-

Either way, what you could do is learn some lame simple pop songs. Or play 12 bar blues for them, see how they suddenly feel the groove. Play some sort of melody you come up with yourself, make it sound major, not too slow paced but not too fast and boom, everyone will love you.

Or do as I do: play whatever YOU like to play and when others are around, play some simple shit. Eventually they'll ask: "weren't you the dude who practised 5 hours a day? " and then it's your time to strike. SWEEP PICK THEM INTO OBLIVION ROOOAAAR!
Yeah
@steven seagull
damn, i wanna play for myself, but i wanna play for an audience too... i guess i DO have to learn some songs they like sorry for sounding like a whiny ass kind but i guess that's just how i'll sound like then, and even if guitar isn't a competition, it sure means a lot to me that people actually listen to the stuff i play, i can't just play for myself coz i'm in a band... well... sort of...

@Shinami
oops, wrong forum, kinda used to only posting here in guitar techs, my bad dunno how to move this to another forum though...

@SomeUser
er... flamenco?

@TehDutchDude
yeah, gonna try learning some pop songs, i don't think it's gonna be so bad, since i've heard some pretty catchy pop songs i guess i loled at sweep them to oblivion
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Thats just how it is. A person playing music that everyone knows will usually get more recognition than someone playing an improvised solo for example.
That's pretty much the only reason I play popular stuff. I mean, we all play what we want to hear, but sometimes you gotta add something to your arsenal that you know others will enjoy. It doesn't have to be Bieber or Gaga ffs. Classic rock is a surefire way to please both your own ears and your friends ears. Assuming you like some classic rock songs.
Quote by Concat
That's pretty much the only reason I play popular stuff. I mean, we all play what we want to hear, but sometimes you gotta add something to your arsenal that you know others will enjoy. It doesn't have to be Bieber or Gaga ffs. Classic rock is a surefire way to please both your own ears and your friends ears. Assuming you like some classic rock songs.

This!

though i mostly play the band that i listed in my sig, i love playing songs by Led, AC/DC, Sabbath, Tesla, Van Halen and many more. along with playing them some of them are simple enough that i can sing/run around like a crazy person (angus young ref.) which is just pure fun

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by ExOblivione
Learn some uber-kvlt black metal.
Play it and act astounded when they don't know it.
Continue this, slowly changing your look to be more and more black metal.
When you end up walking the streets in corpse paint and gear that would make Abbath jealous, it is time. Take your guitar and move to the woods. Act like a troll. Write and perform black metal for the trees. You now have an audience, and are kvlt. Enjoy!

Classic
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by shadowz_fall
@steven seagull
damn, i wanna play for myself, but i wanna play for an audience too... i guess i DO have to learn some songs they like sorry for sounding like a whiny ass kind but i guess that's just how i'll sound like then, and even if guitar isn't a competition, it sure means a lot to me that people actually listen to the stuff i play, i can't just play for myself coz i'm in a band... well... sort of...

Like I said, the two don't always go together, if you want non-musicians to listen to you and appreciate it then you usually have to play something they know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Guitar playing is not a competition! I personally play in a progressive metal band, stuff that most people aren't interested in at all, but we enjoy it. However, when I'm with other people I'll adapt and play something THEY like, cos playing random technical rubbish nobody knows isn't interesting at all.

Second; the people you are with probsbly aren't really music fans if they cannot at least appreciate a different style. I tend to find that people listen to pop music don't really give a shit about the music; it'll just go down the drain after a couple of months. It happens all around us in this bubblegum culture..

Last but not least; if you were hanging out I'm assuming you had an acoustic guitar.. Why the F*ck play a metalcore song on an acoustic? that just doesn't work.

Sorry if I may sound harsh, don't really mean to. Oh, and the flamenco idea is awesome!
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Honestly, get over it. Who cares if they don't like what you're playing, as long as you like it!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
The term "sell out" usually implies that somebody gave someone else money to do something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Always know your audience. This will do two things:

1. Make it easier to cater to their tastes.
2. Make it easier to not give a shit about their stupid tastes and have fun regardless.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
start playing "melodic shreddelisious shit", for example:

canon rock
hurry up - paul gilbert
im allright - neil zaza

these songs sound awesome to alot of non-musical ears and are still good fun for you to play/learn.

or if you just want them to listen;

1. light biggas firecracker to get peoples attention
2. after youve gained peoples attention do a weird monkeydance while screaming very very weirdly, which will cause them to be paralyzed with awstruckness
3. once theyre paralyzed, play six by all that remains
Also, you can play louder than they can talk. Either they'll pay attention or leave. If they leave, then fuuuuuuck theeeeem!
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
There must be some pop music that you like to listen. And remember that in music is about personal taste, there's no "better"or "worse".
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
That's just how it is bro..I don't think you need new friends though....nobody cares about guitar playing except other guitarists...go to a vai or yngwie concert its a total sausage fest..99 percent guitarists...I got lucky when I started playing stuff like nirvana and aiice in chains and metallica were on mtv constantly and was cool to most people....but you'll always find the emo chicks that dig atreyu and ax7 a lot and will be all over that stuff

Hanging out with all guitarists isn't a good idea at all...chances are you'll be constantly feeling like poop or having to always be on guard and ready for compettion...which is good sometimes,but not everyday
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Stop playing for your friend to show off. Come on, you must be atleast a lil open minded and learn some "mainstream" song once in a while? When with your friends, its about having fun, whats wrong with playing songs they know?

And people saying get new friends are just being pathetic, why would you choose your friends based on the music you like? I really dont wanna know you IRL sorry:s. None of my friends listen to the music I like and play, and I never really gave a damn. Whenever I have a guitar and happen to be with friends I just throw in some cliche pop or rock songs, and we are having a good time. Stop trying to show off, ty.
Quote by NickRs50
start playing "melodic shreddelisious shit", for example:

canon rock
hurry up - paul gilbert
im allright - neil zaza

these songs sound awesome to alot of non-musical ears and are still good fun for you to play/learn.

or if you just want them to listen;

1. light biggas firecracker to get peoples attention
2. after youve gained peoples attention do a weird monkeydance while screaming very very weirdly, which will cause them to be paralyzed with awstruckness
3. once theyre paralyzed, play six by all that remains

Yeah I'm alright usually gets a smile on people's face, as long as you aren't looking like your slowly dying from the inside when you play it (it's such a difficult song... I make a mistake very easily, haha!).
Yeah
Quote by TehDutchDude
I personally think that as soon as you actually start explaining people how music actually works, people will find that pop music generally is the same trick in a different coating. Too bad hardly anyone knows something about music nowadays.... It's how Ms Gaga and Mr. Bieber got here in the first place. -.-

Problem is, that 'trick' is going to get a bunch of people recognized and leave the true technical/musical masterminds in the dust...What a shame...
^^^

For 90% of the people, music is not experienced in the same way as you. To them its just fun, entertaining to listen to songs. They dont care about "musical masterminds" as much of a pretentious term that is. And why would you even spend time trying to convince them that Pop music is not complicated/good enough? I have alot of interest in live, some of them are movies and literature. Should I spend my time telling people howmuch their mainstream formula favorite movies sucks? How their book collection lacks any significant book? Let them, dont try to turn everyone on the more complicated side of music. Complicated music, doesnt mean better music. There are alot of different reasons to listen/enjoy music, and alot of those reasons dont require any difficult composing.
Quote by DavidBenyamin
Stop playing for your friend to show off. Come on, you must be atleast a lil open minded and learn some "mainstream" song once in a while? When with your friends, its about having fun, whats wrong with playing songs they know?

And people saying get new friends are just being pathetic, why would you choose your friends based on the music you like? I really dont wanna know you IRL sorry:s. None of my friends listen to the music I like and play, and I never really gave a damn. Whenever I have a guitar and happen to be with friends I just throw in some cliche pop or rock songs, and we are having a good time. Stop trying to show off, ty.

Good point, friendship is a two way thing - if you want them to show your playing some love then you need to make some concessions...which won't be a problem as that's what friends do for each other.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I haven't read all the replys but having the same problem myself I can tell you this:

A. Non music fans always want you to play pop/top 40 material.
B. Music fans are usually only interested in their favorite bands.
C. It's too easy to impress someone who hasn't played.

The way I see it you have two choices

1. do the cover they asked for in your own way.

Or

2. Say "I only play what I want and keep playing all that remians. If they say anything tell them to **** off. It sounds harsh but I played a house party and some guy kept wanting me to play "Lips of an Angel."I tricked him by saying ooohkayyy and then I played Dead Bury Their Dead by Arch Enemy.

I hate when people think I'm a jukebox or that I suck because I don't play anything they like.

Now that I read over this messing with crowd is great when you aren't playing to a specific audience. At least I introduced some co-eds to some melodic death. They probably only thought it was annoying noise, but that only perfect because that's what I hear when they talk.