Poll: How can YOU read music?
Poll Options
View poll results: How can YOU read music?
Notes and tabs
60 62%
only tabs
22 23%
only notes
0 0%
Learned to read notes, but cannot read anymore
14 14%
Others...neither notes nor tabs
1 1%
Voters: 97.
In University we just had Lesson 'culture of writing' of Music.
Like the old indian or european tabs of 16th century we use some alternative Notescripture, too. Some of us may have never learned to read music in classic notes.
In the Beginning of my 'musician-becoming' I learned and still can read them, but Tabs got more easy to play and read now. Whats your opinion on it?
Would we miss something, if we didnt ever learn reading classic stuff?

Thx.
I can read both, but I'm not very good with tabs since I don't really play guitar.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Im like 100% faster at reading tabs, its obviously that i'm way more used to them but I also think that theyre faster to read because all the information is in a single digit (and its string) so there are no extra signs for notes (like C# or so) which makes it easier for me and I can't confuse it or play wrong notes so easy.
Agree with ChucklesMginty. It's Sheet Music or Notation.

on topic.

can read both, depends on the instrument I'm playing, guitar i prefer tab, but can sight read notation, violin or many classical instruments, notaton

both have pros and cons, better to learn to do both in my opinion
i'm Ginger its fun
I can read both.

The only "problem" with musical notation for guitar is that when you read, for instance a bar of music, there are multiple ways to play it.
How?
Because there are so many places on the guitar to place that one octave E. So, unlike tabs, it does not tell you EXACTLY where to go on the neck.
But I suppose that is the charm of the instrument (guitar), and how you find the way to play the song that is more comfortable for you... or show off by playing the exact same thing as someone else, but in a complicated and "show off" way! haha.
I actually prefer reading sheet music for guitar, but it costs money and is hard to come by so I just use tabs. But in my Guitar Ensemble in high school we only use sheet music and it's way easier. The rhythm and the notes are right there and it's easy to read. For tab you already have to know the rhythm so you can't just pick a song and play, you have to know how it goes beforehand.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
I can sight read notation on sax, clarinet, and oboe.

On guitar I have to look at the fret board until I get what I'm playing into muscle memory, so I usually have to learn by ear or in chunks from either notation or tab.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by suckmahnuts
I actually prefer reading sheet music for guitar, but it costs money and is hard to come by so I just use tabs. But in my Guitar Ensemble in high school we only use sheet music and it's way easier. The rhythm and the notes are right there and it's easy to read. For tab you already have to know the rhythm so you can't just pick a song and play, you have to know how it goes beforehand.

If you have guitar pro you see the standard notation above and the tabs underneath it. I can just play it like that and when you make a mistake you don't get lost.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
beaten to it ^
Quote by suckmahnuts

Yeah, that's why I'm glad users on this site bother uploading multiscore tabs.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by Neo Evil11
If you have guitar pro you see the standard notation above and the tabs underneath it. I can just play it like that and when you make a mistake you don't get lost.

Oh nice, I never knew that. I never bothered with guitar pro, but thanks for the tip bro-man dude!
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
I can read tab and standard notation. I'm better at tab though because I can't read sheet music very fast. I'm there half the day reading 1 song.
I could, but that was too long ago.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Use tabs when I'm playing guitar, but notation when I play piano. Not a master at either though, when I learn to play a song I usually do it by ear.
I can read both, I use them both equally, couldn't really say what my preference is.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Thanks to my guitar lessons at school, I can read standard notation to an extent.

But with standard, I have to read over it and figure it out pretty slowly. With tabs, I can practically play along with the song while looking at the tab for the first time.
I can read standard music notation without tabs at all. Standard notation is so much better IMO because it tells you the exact note durations and can notate accents and articulation markings. With tabs you can really only play a song if you know exactly what it sounds like already (it doesn't tell you rhythms).
I used a music note book at first w/o tab until i got to the 5th string, although now I just use tab.
Quote by page.slash
I can read both.

The only "problem" with musical notation for guitar is that when you read, for instance a bar of music, there are multiple ways to play it.
How?
A good deal of guitar sheet music will put what string and finger should be played about the notes. Not every note obviously, but enough to where you know exactly what to do. There's will be a number with a circle around it that says 5, so you know it's on the 5th strong, followed by a smaller number for which left hand finger to have placed on that note. And sometimes one of the letters p, i, m, or a, indicating which finger to pluck with your right hand. Like this sheet: