Hi all !

Im kinda new to the bass. I'hve been playin guitar for a few years now, but i have a bass at home and i like it.

My friend is a drummer and i would like to learn some riff / line whatever you call it to play with him. Something easy that sound cool so we could jam and have fun.

I already know simple bass line like in johnny be goode.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow by Frank Zappa
one of my favorite basslines and it's not too hard either.
Quote by AreaMan
Just feel the groove and jam away! That's what I always do. It's a lot better than playing songs.

what he said, also these songs are simple and fun...
Zicky's Song - Pepper
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd (its on the harder end of easy.)
No Control - Pepper
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones (lol)
All Day and All of the Night - The Kinks
You Really Got Me - The Kinks

EDIT: also any basslines from the beatles, they weren't too complicated, and they're catchy.
also if you're looking to creating your own riffs and stuff, seeing as you played guitar, you should know your way around the fretboard, so its the same exact thing on bass, so just play it like you'd play a guitar, and mess around with power chords on the higher frets on the higher strings (any frets past the 3rd one for best tonal quality.)
Last edited by Seanstrom at Jul 29, 2010,
No problem, when i first picked up bass 4 years ago, i had no idea of what songs to learn, and i asked this same question awhile back on a different site and no one replied.

i didn't want the same to happen to you, because that put me off playing bass, and i didn't touch it for another 2 years. i now love it, and have a great time playing it.

EDIT: also, those kinks songs are just the same 3 notes over and over again, BUT you can try playing the guitar chords on the bass, because its just power chords. you can also use your guitar skills to figure out how to make your own kickass version of the bassline seeing as they're extremely simple.
Last edited by Seanstrom at Jul 29, 2010,
MOD intro of "aren't you hungry", it doesn't get more simple then that.
Quote by OXL
MOD intro of "aren't you hungry", it doesn't get more simple then that.

funny story about this song: i'm jammin with my band and we're trying to write some new songs. and i come up with this riff, and i'm diggin it and we're all stoked. but something in me is sayin "this sounds familiar." so not to soon after i'm at home and i put on the record and since its the first track to the album the bassline comes on and i go "DAMN!" lol. and i suck at figuring out songs by ear too. just a coincidence.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
funny story about this song: i'm jammin with my band and we're trying to write some new songs. and i come up with this riff, and i'm diggin it and we're all stoked. but something in me is sayin "this sounds familiar." so not to soon after i'm at home and i put on the record and since its the first track to the album the bassline comes on and i go "DAMN!" lol. and i suck at figuring out songs by ear too. just a coincidence.

LOL
i do that allllll the time. and its really annoying cuz i feel so badass because i came up with something awesome. then i find out i really didn't come up with it...
I just like walking through chords when I play with a drummer I've never played with before.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Seanstrom
LOL
i do that allllll the time. and its really annoying cuz i feel so badass because i came up with something awesome. then i find out i really didn't come up with it...

yeah, it sucks
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
dude, i highly recommend playing either with a pick or play fingerstyle, striking strings with a drummer is not only very wrong, its also really hard to master!
Starlight by Muse is very simple and it's a nice thudding bassline that is nice to play with a drummer. The song is predominantly drums and bass so that's nice.
octaves are loved by drummers, really groovy and a whole lot of drum parts sound great with them. a good example of this would be 'Uprising' by Muse.

for a drummer who likes a chillaxy beat, try 'I Will Possess Your Heart' by Death Cab for Cutie.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You might check out Morphine´s "Buena". Such a beast!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Drummers also find funk riffs and R & B riffs infectious. Find a good simple bass riff, like the one from Ohio Players "Fire" or the Jacskon's 5 "I want you back" and just riff off the main bass theme. There's lots of room in those genres for both the bass player and the drummer for fills and expanding rhythmic ideas.
It doesn't get much simpler or more locked in than Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by the humanity
octaves are loved by drummers, really groovy and a whole lot of drum parts sound great with them. a good example of this would be 'Uprising' by Muse.

for a drummer who likes a chillaxy beat, try 'I Will Possess Your Heart' by Death Cab for Cutie.

Thx! thats what i was lookin for
Quote by BlackJinx
Thx! thats what i was lookin for

which one?

I also like Anarkee/Tam's suggestion (not that the other ideas dont work guys, but I just found Tams ideas especially beneficial for the purpose)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
which one?

I also like Anarkee/Tam's suggestion (not that the other ideas dont work guys, but I just found Tams ideas especially beneficial for the purpose)

I like the idea to create somethin with octaves. Somethin groovy.

Afte a quick search on youtube i will try to learn this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a2Q2ImqqHY&feature=channel

sounds good
Last edited by BlackJinx at Jul 30, 2010,
Straight 8th's using notes from the E Blues scale.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Herbie Hancock - Chameleon. (sp? )

It's been my jam as of late. Very simple bass line, simple drums, doing any sort of fills just comes so naturally.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Captain Insano
Herbie Hancock - Chameleon. (sp? )

It's been my jam as of late. Very simple bass line, simple drums, doing any sort of fills just comes so naturally.

Hancock's stuff overall is great for drummer and bass players.

And for free software try:

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/
I'd suggest "Shout at the Devil" by Motley Crue if you're just looking for something fairly simple and fun to play with a drummer on.
If you're looking for something harder on both, I'd say Metallica's "Master of Puppets." That oughtta take some time up.
Ill say Uprising or plug in baby by muse
Its all just hopping around on octaves
"cufk, tish, sips"
-
Kurt Cobain