First thing's first: I'm a beginner.

I'm still trying to Ollie on my board, which I can kinda do on grass. On concrete, it just moves all the time.
The board is really wobbly, doesn't feel stable.
I may add that it was a kinda cheap WWF The Rock board I got many years ago. It's good, but I guess just not good enough.
I mean, it wobbles a lot, the board moves forwards/backwards with the slightest touch, but sometimes not. I'm not sure as I'm currently just using stationary on grass as on concrete it doesn't seem to want to stay where I started, but it could just be me being incredibly bad, even if I am following a video, etc.

So, would a new board allow me to ollie stationary without the board flying off, or am I just really bad ? I guess I am bad, but would a new board help more? Or should I stick with it until I can definitely tell if it's the board or not?

Thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 29, 2010,
See the metal bit that holds the wheels to the deck?

That's called a "truck".

See the big nut in the middle of it? Tighten that. It'll stop the wobble.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
See the metal bit that holds the wheels to the deck?

That's called a "truck".

See the big nut in the middle of it? Tighten that. It'll stop the wobble.

Thanks

I know what trucks are, but would cheapish ones still be worth using? I follow your advice though, thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
A good board always helps. You may also want to tighten up your trucks so the board doesn't wobble so much - they may be too loose. I found what helped the most though is gaining confidence in my balance and general riding ability. I worked on skating pools for a while and then when I went back to working on tricks I found that my fundamentals were solid for riding and I could really focus on the movements I was trying to make.

Edit: ^ got to the trucks bit before me.
Quote by Simsimius

Thanks

I know what trucks are, but would cheapish ones still be worth using? I follow your advice though, thanks.

To get the basics, yeah. Once you're more comfortable riding around, popping little ollies, and general just more confident using the board, then I'd recommend upgrading.

I used to love skating, but got to the point where my body broke rather than bounced when I bailed, so I just gave it up.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Try ollieing while moving. You're going to want to do that eventually anyway, and its much easier to do it while moving on concrete. Your trucks being tighter might help a bit, but it was the forward and backwards rolling away from you that was giving you problems, not side to side wobbling, right? The rolling away WILL happen if your trying a stationary ollie on concrete. It doens't happen on grass because skateboards aren't meant to roll on grass.
Quote by metacarpi
To get the basics, yeah. Once you're more comfortable riding around, popping little ollies, and general just more confident using the board, then I'd recommend upgrading.

I used to love skating, but got to the point where my body broke rather than bounced when I bailed, so I just gave it up.

Alright, thanks everyone.

The problem with my ollies is my foot isn't sliding along, but I'm getting there. It wears me out though, especially my back.

Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Try ollieing while moving. You're going to want to do that eventually anyway, and its much easier to do it while moving on concrete. Your trucks being tighter might help a bit, but it was the forward and backwards rolling away from you that was giving you problems, not side to side wobbling, right? The rolling away WILL happen if your trying a stationary ollie on concrete. It doens't happen on grass because skateboards aren't meant to roll on grass.

I'm doing it on grass so I can get the basic sorted out, as I'd rather not mess up while moving.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Haha the board is supposed to move. And if the trucks are loose just tighten them. Thinking a new board will make you better isn't the right attitude. Plus learning on a p.o.s would be better to learn on so when you get a new set up everything will be slightly easier. If you want new shit just go to your local shop and get whatever is the cheapest. A blank deck won't run you more than 30, trucks would be about the same. Bones red bearings are $10, and blank wheels the same. For griptape the shorties black magic? is what most peoiple get. Though it was kind of too sticky imo so I rode jessup. Of course I haven't skated in a few years so shit may be cheaper than it was when I was into it. If you don't have a shop around you just order the stuff from ccs.com. It's like the walmart of skateboarding(not quality wise). They sell everything.
Last edited by Area420 at Jul 29, 2010,
If it's moving too much at slight touches, it can prevent doing an ollie while moving. I had it down when stationary, but due to having some really chunky old wheels that seemed to ignore friction, as soon as the front of the board lifted while moving, the remaining pressure on the back wheel sent it zooming off, flipping the board.

Could do it while moving on friends' boards though.

Quote by Simsimius

Alright, thanks everyone.

The problem with my ollies is my foot isn't sliding along, but I'm getting there. It wears me out though, especially my back.

I'm doing it on grass so I can get the basic sorted out, as I'd rather not mess up while moving.

That's a good idea, but remember that actually getting the board to lift while on the grass is more difficult because the surface is not as solid. But get the motion down, so that the ollie movement is stuck in your muscle memory, and it'll translate over to concrete much easier.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Last edited by Kilobyte at Jul 29, 2010,
Alright, thanks guys.

How did it take for you lot to ollie well though?
I'm still struggling to get it, but I'll keep trying at it once I've tightened the board. I keep jumping too high and leaving the board altogether though.

Quote by Kilobyte
That's a good idea, but remember that actually getting the board to lift while on the grass is more difficult because the surface is not as solid. But get the motion down, so that the ollie movement is stuck in your muscle memory, and it'll translate over to concrete much easier.

Does it make getting the motion down harder as well?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Alright, thanks guys.

I'm still struggling to get it, but I'll keep trying at it once I've tightened the board. I keep jumping too high and leaving the board altogether though.

It took me about a year or so I think, but then I never really got too into trying to do tricks. Most of what I enjoyed as 'skateboarding' was actually luge-racing down a local hill of a road. My wheels let me go about twice as fast as my friends though, so these eventually turned into a game of "knock me off my board at the start, or I'll win easily".

Keep at it though, you'll get it eventually. You'll jump off the board completely, flip it over, send the board flying etc.
All part of the learning process.

EDIT:
Quote by Simsimius
Alright, thanks guys.

Does it make getting the motion down harder as well?

I wouldn't have thought so. I always practiced on the concrete near our local shops, so I can't say. But I've done it on grass and found it does require more of an initial push to get off the ground. Seems to be the same movement though, just not lifting as high.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
I think I actually got into it because I found ot I could ollie on my mates board, so figured it was something I could get into.

I wasn't great though, Shuv-its, Kickflips, 360 Shuv-Its, 180's, both regular and going backward (fakie?), and a few basic grinds like 50-50 and Boardslides were about as good as I got.

And something I was told is called a sexchange. I could kickflip, and spin my body 180 so I'd land in fakie.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I know you said you want to do it stationary on concrete, but trust me, moving forward a little will help. Its easier to balance on a bicycle while its moving correct? Same thing on a skateboard.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
When you are about to ollie, bend your knees, (have your front foot right behind the bolts on the front of the board, and you other on the tail.) push down with your back foot and with your front foot slide untill your board is level. Also when I was learning I found it helped to just pop and lean forwards.

Hope I could help!
Quote by YesterdaysToday
When you are about to ollie, bend your knees, (have your front foot right behind the bolts on the front of the board, and you other on the tail.) push down with your back foot and with your front foot slide untill your board is level. Also when I was learning I found it helped to just pop and lean forwards.

Hope I could help!

Yeah, I bend my knees, try and focus my jump on the back and use my other foot to move forwards, but my front seems to jump up and land itself where it should've slid to. So frustrating, but I'll keep trying.
I want to at least get the movements sorted before doing anything on concrete, as my current attempts would've been a lot more painful. I will definitely try in the road or something though.
But it's really annoying not being able to get it.

EDIT: Guys, can I ask about my stance?
I put my left foot on the tail, and right foot behind the front bolts. I'm right footed btw, but I read it should be the other way round [but do what's easier though]. Would this also be making it hard if it's a bad habit I can't break, or is not a bad habit and this is just me worrying too much?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I'd learn all tricks moving. It's different technique, different muscle memory. Besides, you're not really going to hurt yourself if you fall off doing an ollie moving, if that's what worries you.
Quote by Confusius
I'd learn all tricks moving. It's different technique, different muscle memory. Besides, you're not really going to hurt yourself if you fall off doing an ollie moving, if that's what worries you.

Well, as much as I try to, I stop going "all in" when I try it moving and I end up doing it half assed, IE fail completely to do anything right.
I went out in the road and got better results, but my landing is not perfect, I think I twist myself [and possibly the board] while jumping and never land on it the same as I started.
I'm not even sure I left the ground, but I think I have a few times. Still doesn't feel too natural though.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Yeah, I bend my knees, try and focus my jump on the back and use my other foot to move forwards, but my front seems to jump up and land itself where it should've slid to. So frustrating, but I'll keep trying.
I want to at least get the movements sorted before doing anything on concrete, as my current attempts would've been a lot more painful. I will definitely try in the road or something though.
But it's really annoying not being able to get it.

EDIT: Guys, can I ask about my stance?
I put my left foot on the tail, and right foot behind the front bolts. I'm right footed btw, but I read it should be the other way round [but do what's easier though]. Would this also be making it hard if it's a bad habit I can't break, or is not a bad habit and this is just me worrying too much?

I don't think you should worry about it. Most people ride goofy like you do, and most people are right footed. Me personally, I ride regular. And Im right footed.
h'wat
I cannot fit into your skin.
Quote by devilskommander
I don't think you should worry about it. Most people ride goofy like you do, and most people are right footed. Me personally, I ride regular. And Im right footed.

Alright

Quote by daeqwon10000
don't practice on the grass, practice while moving, from the get go, it will help boatloads

I've moved away from grass now, and no on the road.
I can do it stationary as I releasied that as you jump, you slide the front foot, not jump with it then slide. The sliding forwards makes the back of the board jump. All I have to do is get it perfect [jump with back and slide front forwards] and I'll be fine.
By doing it like that [the right way], I'm pretty much landing right on the board, so my landing is sorted. All looking positive.

However, while moving I just can't bring myself to do it. I will keep trying however. I'll eventually overcome it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Get a longboard instead
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Quote by daeqwon10000
do you get afraid? or just can't do it? Follow the board with your body, don't just expect to land on the board

Mostly fear. No, all fear. I just can't currently go all in.
I'll try and get over it though with practice.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Trust me, nothing is going to happen you by trying an ollie rolling. Besides, if you ever want to get good at skating (which I never did! ) you're going to have to get over fear of falling and hurting yourself.

And as a guy above said, longboarding is much cooler.
just filmed kickflip to front feeble, Front feeb and Kickflip front 5-0(in a line 1st try), bs hurricane, and fakie switch nosegrind 180 out. im just happy.
Get Busy Livin' Or Get Busy Dyin'.
Quote by MAX-182
just filmed kickflip to front feeble, Front feeb and Kickflip front 5-0(in a line 1st try), bs hurricane, and fakie switch nosegrind 180 out. im just happy.

And I'm just jealous.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Confusius
longboarding is much cooler.

I must agree wholeheartedly. I prefer my longboard. But it is a tad more expensive.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.