Hey there!

I'm learning Sweet child of mine (GnR) and my equipment is:
Washburn Pro E (guitar)
Fender Strat (US) (guitar)
Roland cube (amp)
Line 6 Floor Pod plus (effects pedal) (connected to the cube, cube setting=clean all effects and knobs on zero)

here's my problem, in the solo when I hold some of the notes (slow solo) on either guitar, the sound drops away, i cant seem to get anywhere close to the sustain that I need.

Can someone give me tips/tricks/settings or general help on getting the higher sustain to play GnR songs?

Thanks in advance!
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
(My hero) - Robin Williams
On your Line 6, is it the kind of pod who cn download tone from the computer and apply them while playing ?
If so, you can download the tone Slash used for this song.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Hi!
Yes, I downloaded the tone and thats what I am playing with, but I am still not getting the sustain
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
Not sure, does the floor pod have a noise gate and compression? I have a PodX3 Live. If those are on, turn them off first.

In the end, you need just practice tweaking settings to get the exact sound you want.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Do you have a noise suppressor on?

Sometimes the sustain fades away when it gets below a certain threshold if a noise gate/suppressor is activated/set-up wrong.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Hey HP/XX,

-noise gate / compression

No idea, will check (at least a starting point to check)
I'm new to amp modelling and have not really tinkered with the FPP, just download the tones and use it, so far its been good for songs like Back in Black etc, this is the first time I have come across songs that need a longer sustain.

If you have any idea as to where it "should" be on the FPP, drop me a line.

Will reply once I am back home and have searched on the FPP for the noise gate / compression settings you mentioned.

Cheers!
Quote by MusicGu7
Hey HP/XX,

-noise gate / compression

No idea, will check (at least a starting point to check)
I'm new to amp modelling and have not really tinkered with the FPP, just download the tones and use it, so far its been good for songs like Back in Black etc, this is the first time I have come across songs that need a longer sustain.

If you have any idea as to where it "should" be on the FPP, drop me a line.

Will reply once I am back home and have searched on the FPP for the noise gate / compression settings you mentioned.

Cheers!

Here you go. They are both on there. We should also note that delay and reverb will significantly expand sounds.

Honestly though, just mess around with stuff when you get home. That's the best way to learn. (Well, that and studying what each effect ACTUALLY does.)
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Last edited by hockeyplayer168 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by MusicGu7
Hey there!

Washburn Pro E (guitar)
Roland cube (amp)
Line 6 Floor Pod plus (effects pedal) (connected to the cube, cube setting=clean all effects and knobs on zero)

here's my problem, in the solo when I hold some of the notes (slow solo) on either guitar, the sound drops away, i cant seem to get anywhere close to the sustain that I need.

Can someone give me tips/tricks/settings or general help on getting the higher sustain to play GnR songs?

Thanks in advance!

There's part of your problem if you really mean ALL knobs at zero, because that would include volume, gain and all 3 EQ bands.

You don't even need the pod, just use the Classic Stack model on the Cube, turn the volume up, use the neck pickup and learn to vibrato,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A wide, even vibrato and a little bit of reverb (and maybe a subtle delay) should do the trick!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Hey guys!

Ok, I messed around once I got home and things are better (almost there!)
I put compressor to max and gate to middle of the dial and am getting some decent sustain to start with and the middle.. but in the tail end it suddenly drops fast

> (Well, that and studying what each effect ACTUALLY does.)

I tried that, but my memory is really bad... I really do have a memory problem.

> There's part of your problem if you really mean ALL knobs at zero, because that would include volume, gain and all 3 EQ bands.

Sorry, I was mistaken, not volume of course else I wouldnt get any sound, and tone is at max as well (this is on the cube, not fpp)

> You don't even need the pod, just use the Classic Stack model on the Cube, turn the volume up, use the neck pickup and learn to vibrato,

Will try that advise, thanks!

> A wide, even vibrato and a little bit of reverb (and maybe a subtle delay) should do the trick!

Will try as well, thanks!

Cheers!
Quote by MusicGu7
> (Well, that and studying what each effect ACTUALLY does.)

I tried that, but my memory is really bad... I really do have a memory problem.

Well, that's fine. You're not going to instantly build a database in your brain for that stuff, I just mean learning the actual function of effects. Like go on wikipedia and look up what noise gates do or what compression does.

Understanding the inner workings of each effect will make it much easier over time to get the perfect tone. Obviously, however, this takes time to learn like anything else on a guitar.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by Sean0913
Go on Insane settting and put some delay and tap tempo it fairly quickly and you should get the desired result.

Best,

Sean

Obvious troll is obvious.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The fact is some guitars have better sustain than others.
Call me Batman.
Hey guys!

Thanks for keeping the replies coming!

I've gotten close to the tone and sustain that I want, and vibrato helped me get further.

Another problem I had was that I had lowered the strings too much
(I like playing with very low action)

@HP, advise taken, I now have the "Gear" DVD from lick library which explains different effects and gear (hopefully in baby steps), I think visually learning will be better for me rather than reading with my memory problem (might even be a little mild dyslexia)

The fact is some guitars have better sustain than others.

I know, but this was cutting off around the same time on both the washburn and fender.

Cheers!
A digital amp with a digital FX unit means a lot of jiggery-pokery getting between the guitar and the speaker, and the more there is the more you need to play around with. For a tone like Slash's less is usually more, there's absolutely no need for things like a compressor or noise gate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by MusicGu7
Hey there!

Washburn Pro E (guitar)
Roland cube (amp)

Thanks in advance!

is this your very 1st time playing guitar?

to me it sounds like it could be an experience issue, more-so than a gear issue.

Quote by steven seagull
A digital amp with a digital FX unit means a lot of jiggery-pokery getting between the guitar and the speaker, and the more there is the more you need to play around with. For a tone like Slash's less is usually more, there's absolutely no need for things like a compressor or noise gate.

+ 1

it's staight up distortion + verb (and wah for the end of the 3rd solo)

the distortion helps with sustain, but you should be able to get it regardless.

TS, try taking lessons so you have some feedback from a person that can hear/watch you play. We can only guess and that's not a a good way to get useful advice.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 31, 2010,
TS, try taking lessons so you have some feedback from a person that can hear/watch you play. We can only guess and that's not a a good way to get useful advice.

Well...
I could tape myself and send you guys youtube links
Just got a new digital camera for an unrelated project... its pretty cool, it tapes onto SD card that I can pop into my computer and then simply upload to YT
Quote by MusicGu7
Well...
I could tape myself and send you guys youtube links
Just got a new digital camera for an unrelated project... its pretty cool, it tapes onto SD card that I can pop into my computer and then simply upload to YT

Do it
shred is gaudy music
Ok

After the weekend though, till then, I hope you guys have a fantastic weekend, and thanks again!
i use a dsl100 an epiphone with alnico pro 2's (i think) and fingers that didn't come from a mongoloid